Hello newbies and professional players alike

I bought an electric guitar the other day and I've been practising for about 7 hours so far. I managed to play the "He's a pirate" from the Jack Sparrow movies. (first time trying to play a guitar so I have no experience,probably lower than 0). Got a bit down seeing that I can only play it slowly because if I try to speed it up,I'm pressing the wrong chords.

Also,I cannot seem to nail the chords everytime,since I keep pressing two chords with one finger.

I will be studying this forum and any help or directions is much appreciated.
Welcome.

if you're not being sarcastic in your thread title, people who see guitar playing as a competition are dickheads who are into the hobby for entirely superficial reasons.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Through The Fire And Flames We Carry Oooooooonnnnnnnn

100% expert fgt
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghNHDnWiDig

Sunglasses while playing guitar indoors means he's a true rockstar
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 16, 2014,
Hey,

I did not mean it in any bad way,i just used the word "sport" due to the fact that guitar playing requires both talent and practice,just like in sports.
Quote by kapnobatai
Hey,

I did not mean it in any bad way,i just used the word "sport" due to the fact that guitar playing requires both talent and practice,just like in sports.

Yes, but a sport is competitive. Guitar should never be seen that way.

Until you get good of course. Then you can stop using that pathetic cop out.
Quote by TheSennaj
I got it!

So,other than practising ,is there any other way to stop my fret hand reacting like the kraken`s tentacles ?
Quote by kapnobatai
I got it!

So,other than practising ,is there any other way to stop my fret hand reacting like the kraken`s tentacles ?

Aye, use more pirate puns, cap'n!

But seriously, it's something that fixes itself with practice. Your fingers just aren't used to performing the actions you're telling them yet.
Quote by TheSennaj
It doesn't matter where you get your motivation from at the beginning as long as it gets you past the initial difficulty hump. Some, if not most, of the best musicians in history where immensely competitive.

Let's stop being so sensitive people!
Last edited by reverb66 at Sep 17, 2014,
You've been playing 7 hours. Now is not the time to get discouraged. You've got a looooooong way to go from here. Literally everything you do is going to sound terrible and will take a lot of practice. That's how it starts with all of us.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yes, but a sport is competitive. Guitar should never be seen that way.

Hoo boy! So many players say that while showing the opposite.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone