Page 1 of 2
So I'm taking philosophy of art this semester and we have gone over Plato, Neitzche, and Tolstoy. They all have different ways of looking at art, and its contribution to society.

This week our professor has assigned us to go out and find a "piece" that we consider "not art" and explain why. Since we are speaking of Tolstoy, the theme is expressionism, so in order for a peice to be considered "not-art" then it must not be intended to evoke emotion.

The piece can be anything from visual, musical, pretty much anything. I already have a couple things in mind, but I wondered to myself what all you pitmonkeys would think constitutes "not art" in this sense.

Whatcha think? Examples preferred, but not necessary.

EDIT:
Keep in mind that I understand that just about everything can be considered art in one way or another, however my question here pertains to the theme of expressionism, or the sense of expressing or invoking emotion - and that emotion should be intentional, something the artist themselves wanted you to feel in regards to the piece.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Last edited by Vypor at Sep 16, 2014,
Everyone will just post something that's art by definition. But they don't personally like it and think it's stupid or offensive so they'll say it's not art.
Anything can be art in some way or another. I could argue why your dogs shit in your backyard is art
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by caeser1156
Anything can be art in some way or another. I could argue why your dogs shit in your backyard is art

yup
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Wormholes
Everyone will just post something that's art by definition. But they don't personally like it and think it's stupid or offensive so they'll say it's not art.

I consider almost everything to be art, but this particular question has some criteria regarding the expression of emotion.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
How do you intend to evoke emotion?

Quote by captainsnazz
what does art even have to do with emotion
i feel nothing

And yeah.

If that's your definition though, then my answer is every Stravinsky ever.

Quote by bamf
I consider that music is, by its very nature, essentially powerless to express anything at all, whether a feeling, an attitude of mind, or psychological mood, a phenomenon of nature, etc….Expression has never been an inherent property of music. That is by no means the purpose of its existence.
Art is that which snooty dicks define as such.

/thread
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

this post

Quote by ErikLensherr

I'd lick her booty after a poo.

I just went to a comedy show a few weeks ago where the lead act pointed out that really, everything is art.

For an example, look at the nice little borders we put on our speed limit signs in North America. Any reason for those to be there other than they look nice? Not really.
How is it not "something someone created with the intention to express"? Not sure I buy into the everything is art thing. Perhaps but wouldn't it only be art when explained why there's something in it that expresses, in which case the person explaining in some way is the artist?
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by MinterMan22
this post

I'm so over LDR anyway. I love Anna Lunoe now. Who coincidentally I'm seeing in a few days.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Everything is art really.

Though I will still argue that stupid thing such as putting a urinal on its side, a lobster phone or...or...this

Quote by CaptainCanti

isn't art. Though if it is supposed to bring out an emotion in me to be art, then I guess it is because I know some dipshit somewhere thinks this stuff is amazing, and that grinds my gears.

Art should be something that takes talent to do, not just something made by the actions of a moron.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I just want to point out, that TS only needs something that wasn't intended to invoke emotion. It doesn't matter who considers it art. For the sake of his assignment, he just needs something that was not designed to invoke emotion.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I feel like it's just gonna be he can pull anything out of his ass like a blade of grass and the professor will explain why everyone's wrong lol
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I feel like it's just gonna be he can pull anything out of his ass like a blade of grass and the professor will explain why everyone's wrong lol

It is an art class, I can see this happening.

"Surprise bitches I just made you do an assignment to make you think about a point I could've made in one minute"
christ, how hard is it to get really angry and throw some paint at a canvas? yeah it might be art but it doesn't make it impressive.
sigh... art is not inherently made to evoke emotions.

See, this is why philosophy is useless.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
The subjective nature of emotionality ruins any attempt to classify art as something that is meant to induce emotion. Art is like life: It's what you make it.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Xiaoxi

>useless
kek
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Xiaoxi

well apparently that's just the definition for expressionism so i mean yeah it's kinda different in our culture
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Any object designed to be purely functional with no regards to aesthetics would be concidered 'not art' by Tolstoy
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Sep 16, 2014,
Quote by the bartender
Any tool designed to be purely functional with no regards to aesthetics would be concidered 'not art' by Tolstoy

You heard it here first folks, dildos are art
Quote by Rockford_rocks
You heard it here first folks, dildos are art

According to Tolstoy they would be
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
Any object designed to be purely functional with no regards to aesthetics would be concidered 'not art' by Tolstoy

To sum up:
All of it. None of it.
would a book be "regarding aesthetics" according to him though? because the aesthetic (if there is one) is in your head and not something you can see

and books are clearly art imo

^how is nothing art? where do you get that from
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Last edited by Bob_Sacamano at Sep 16, 2014,
Page 1 of 2