Totally random question, i have never really used any of the programs out there. I am trying to decide if they are worth it for me or not. I generally use the free tabs from time to time learning new songs, what do the programs add to this process? do they make the learning easier or better for someone that can't read sheet music? I guess i am just looking for some opinions as to if the higher level tab programs are a decent buy for someone that isn't going to be creating tabs but using them to learn songs?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Yes. Definitely worth looking into. You can use most "pro" tabs with TuxGuitar, which is free.

The biggest advantages are more advanced tabs with sound/playback that you can control the speed of and play along with, and usually drums++ are tabbed as well so you get a proper beat to play to. It's also more easy hearing if a tab is accurate when you hear it play in the software. You don't need to learn sheet music to get a lot of of these tabs, but knowing/learning common notations such as note durations (easy) will help you more effectively learning a song. Wouldn't recommend buying TabPro or GuitarPro without knowing what it is or having tried multitrack tab software, so try getting Tux and download a few GuitarPro tabs. Good luck
I guess it depends on the program, but some of them will definitely improve your learning experience. You should at least give a try.
Disclaimer: I'm a developer of such programs ;-)
thanks for the input! i will give them a try, sounds like a great learning tool.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.