American Companies Selected to Return Astronaut Launches to American Soil

Following the major NASA announcement today, American companies Boeing and SpaceX have been awarded contracts for shuttling astronauts to the International Space Station.

For anyone who has been following this information, this isn't a surprising development. It is, however, still a big and important one -- America has had to rely on Russian LEO launch capability to get its astronauts to the ISS ever since the retirement of the STS (the Shuttle.)

I had hoped that private spaceflight companies would take over this realm of responsibility, along with other LEO capabilities, because it would simultaneously develop the American commercial spaceflight industry (best in the world OF COURSE) while freeing up NASA, to some degree, to focus on the wider mission set and give full attention to its new launch capability, the SLS and Orion.

Dependence on Russian flights will end by 2017.
My God, it's full of stars!
let's be real i'm too lame to go to space

this is cool but what i'd really like to see is a massive expansion of nasa
i don't know why i feel so dry
Space sucks, NASA sucks. Yeah I said it. Bunch of nerds, with their rockets and garbage. There's no pussy up in space anyways.
Not sure how Branson is doing with Galactic, I think he's near on though. I talked to him about it once, it gets him really excited and he went on and on...yawn.
Quote by seanlang01
Space sucks, NASA sucks. Yeah I said it. Bunch of nerds, with their rockets and garbage. There's no pussy up in space anyways.

10/10 post

/thread
oh, I though he registered in The UK, not NYC...he knows what he's doing
Cool. I've been saying for years that we should privatize this aspect of space development. Glad to see NASA agrees with me, lol.
Elon Musk has got to be stoked, its amazing how close he came to losing everything to rebound like this.
Quote by Rossenrot
Elon Musk has got to be stoked, its amazing how close he came to losing everything to rebound like this.

+1, really happy for SpaceX
Quote by Rossenrot

Boeing got the larger contract (kind of surprising, when you compare the two companies' proven capability in spaceflight), but SpaceX still wrapped up a cool 2.something billion.

Now that's walkin' around money
oh cool. spacex hq is a mile south of my home. this makes me happy.

i've got a couple friends who work there too. lucky bastards get free ice cream on a weekly basis.

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by Dreadnought
Boeing got the larger contract (kind of surprising, when you compare the two companies' proven capability in spaceflight), but SpaceX still wrapped up a cool 2.something billion.

Now that's walkin' around money

boeing are king makers.
Quote by Dreadnought
Dependence on Russian flights will end by 2017.

Yaaaaaaayyy!

Also, isn't space X the company that made the reusable rocket? As in, the one that you can launch and land? Are they gonna use that?
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Sep 17, 2014,
Quote by chaoticfables
well space is a vacuum so yes

In this case, the earth blows.

Also whoever said there's no pussy in space obviously never watched Star Trek: The Original Series
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Who cares where they launch from

THE FREE AMERICAN NATION

Though it probably is a good idea given Russia's craycray streak lately.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by eGraham
In this case, the earth blows.

Also whoever said there's no pussy in space obviously never watched Star Trek: The Original Series

Its probably a good thing he never watched star trek, yano because its terrible
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Its probably a good thing he never watched star trek, yano because its terrible

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
this is good.

soon they mine asteroids and stuff and that all fuels a rapid expansion and colonisation effort of the rest of the solar system.

Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
lucky bastards get free ice cream on a weekly basis.

what
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by cha33 armstrong
yano

I thought this was an actual word, and had to pronounce it at least five different times in my head before I figure out what it actually was.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Where do I sign up?
Gonna get me some alien poon.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yaaaaaaayyy!

Also, isn't space X the company that made the reusable rocket? As in, the one that you can launch and land? Are they gonna use that?

Yeah that's them and the Falcon 9R

well, it's easier to do it from near the equator
Pretty cool stuff. One of my friends designs the propulsion systems for SpaceX. He is pretty stoked right now.

Here is a little teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orUjSkc2pG0
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'd prefer it if it were taxpayer funded in order to maintain accountability and reinvestment for the public, but I expect that this would happen eventually anyway.

I'd also like to go to space.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
I'd prefer it if it were taxpayer funded in order to maintain accountability and reinvestment for the public, but I expect that this would happen eventually anyway.

The contract and overall program is still through NASA, so where does the accountability get lost? It's not as if private companies weren't involved in NASA spacecraft and launch vehicle assembly in the past -- they had a whole slew of companies involved in making many thousands of pieces, the whole thing being very complicated and convoluted, leading to some of the contributing factors of one of the Space Shuttle disasters.

It's more reliable for America's companies to be able to launch from America instead of relying on Russia or any other country. Also, Cape Canaveral is a very ideal location to launch from.
"The government should legalize weed, taxit, and give the money to NASA. Then NASA inspires kids to explore the universe and weed does the same fore adults"-Carl Sagan