Hello there, I just got Troy's Speed mechanics and having a quick glance, I found out that there's too many exercises and sections to practice like lead, rhythm and creativity etc.
So can anyone please guide me how do I design a practice schedule around it? Suppose, if I've got 1 hour for practice, then how should I approach the book?
Thanks for the help!
I would say that you should pick out one lick / riff that you like and practice it for a while till you get it down. And then, try to make about 3 or 4 variations of the lick yourself and practice those. This is a very useful tip that I got from Sam Bell (guitar player of Mask of Judas) as it helps you "remember" the lick and also results in making the lick your own instead of copying some other person's style. After you have got hold of the lick properly and are able to use it in your soloing, move on to another lick and do more of the same. Good luck!
How to practise SM?

From ex 1 and then forward. Do not skip any of them!

Sure you got 190 some ex but they all build on each other so if you just pick at random you do not get the point of ex down at all.

These are the basic mechanics for your skills to play fast nothing else and should only be applied as is.

So start with ex 1 and practise that until you can play it at 160 bpm as the most natural thing in the world. Then move on to the next.

Ex 1-5 is like the warm up and you should spend the time on those until you got them down. Once you are at 160 bpm your left hand will feel it can play whatever you need. You can practise them and mix between them to keep fresh but make sure that you get them all down including ex 4 and 5!

It is legato and that needs to come first. Otherwise anything from ex 25 and onwards is going to sound stiff.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Sep 17, 2014,
Quote by anders.jorgense
Yep that is correct.

16th note triplets at 160 bpm is ridiculously fast. I cannot even begin to imagine how Troy's intention would have been for the student to practice a mere 5 exercises for ages and ages building up to that level of speed using only legato. I'm not going to pretend like I know the best way to approach Speed Mechanics, but I think it's safe to say that this isn't it.

I'm imagining a weight lifter who did only bench presses until he could bench 300 pounds before moving on to the rest of his body...
I've just bought it too!

There is a CD included and it says it is 'so that you know what it should sound like'.

For the first block of exercises on page 1 there are recordings at a few different speeds and my personal plan is to get all of them at the speed quickest of the recordings.

If I tried to go faster then I wouldn't have a reference for the sound and would probably loose interest before progressing.