Hi all.

So, I've been contemplating this for quite a while now.

I have a Yamaha FS700S. To me, it's an excellent guitar that has proven itself time and time again. I understand and realize that there are WAY better guitars out there. Now, I'd really like to have a guitar that can be amplified so I don't have to strum so loudly when I perform. Before me, I have a few options:

1. Purchase a new acoustic guitar and install a pickup system in it
2. Keep the Yamaha FS700S and install a pickup in that
3. Purchase a new acoustic-electric guitar

I need some sort of expert advice from people outside of my daily life. My Yam FS is my first acoustic guitar, and I don't exactly have any intentions of parting with it anytime soon. Any sort of advice would help. Thanks!
I have an old yamaha and it is an awesome sounding and playing guitar ... If I were you i'd get a pick up system for it
If your Yamaha FS700S feels comfortable to play and you like everything about it, install a pickup in it.

If you feel like buying a second guitar to have something different and want to keep the Yamaha FS700S untouched, this could be a good excuse to get an acoustic-electric guitar now.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Sep 17, 2014,
I think all three options are good. Of the two new guitar options, I think it would depend on how much you like a particular guitar and whether it is already fitted with a pickup. Installing one yourself will be more expensive than OEM, but that wouldn't be a consideration if I liked the guitar. In fact, all else being equal, it would be my preference, since I could choose the pickup/preamp system I wanted.
Hi everyone.

Thanks for offering your opinions. I've decided (for now) to keep the FS and just install the pickup in that. However, I've got 3 months 'til I make a final decision and purchase the stuff.

One more question: What kind of material saddle/bridge pins should I replace the factory stock ones with? I've heard TUSQ is good, but more outside opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quote by RT2361
Hi everyone.

Thanks for offering your opinions. I've decided (for now) to keep the FS and just install the pickup in that. However, I've got 3 months 'til I make a final decision and purchase the stuff.

One more question: What kind of material saddle/bridge pins should I replace the factory stock ones with? I've heard TUSQ is good, but more outside opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Consensus is that pins make no difference except due to weight, eg brass v plastic. I always use bone for saddle replacements and personally wouldn't consider any kind of synthetic as the first choice.

What kind of pickup did you have in mind? I like the Baggs M1 Active soundhole pickup, but SBTs like the K&K Western Mini get a lot of votes. If you decide on an onboard preamp, there are now some nice options that don't involve cutting a hole in the side of the guitar.
Quote by Tony Done
Consensus is that pins make no difference except due to weight, eg brass v plastic. I always use bone for saddle replacements and personally wouldn't consider any kind of synthetic as the first choice.

What kind of pickup did you have in mind? I like the Baggs M1 Active soundhole pickup, but SBTs like the K&K Western Mini get a lot of votes. If you decide on an onboard preamp, there are now some nice options that don't involve cutting a hole in the side of the guitar.

You read my mind. The L.R. Baggs M1A soundhole pickup was the one I had in mind. I like how it sounds, and I like how there's a volume gain wheel on it. The price is pretty good.

You said there are nicer options that don't involve cutting a hole in the guitar. Care to elaborate on that?
Quote by RT2361
You read my mind. The L.R. Baggs M1A soundhole pickup was the one I had in mind. I like how it sounds, and I like how there's a volume gain wheel on it. The price is pretty good.

You said there are nicer options that don't involve cutting a hole in the guitar. Care to elaborate on that?

Here are some examples of preamps with soundhole controls. There may be others, but I'm not well up on it:

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickups/Acoustic_Guitar/