Hey y'all.

I'm currently looking at selling both my current guitars;
Fender Strat MIM HSS
ESP Eclipse LTD EC-1000

And buying one better guitar.

I am looking at getting a Gibson Les Paul, but the only thing concerning me is the thickness of the neck. Both of my current guitars have a slender neck and when I tried playing a Les Paul I found the neck a bit too thick.

Has anyone else ever found they have struggled with the Les Paul neck? And did you get used to it over time?
Do you actually have a problem with the guitars you have now or are you upgrading because you perceive a Gibson as being a better quality instrument? If it's the former, what issues are you having and why do you think an LP will fix that? Budget, gear, genres you play... If it's the latter that can also be arguable to a certain extent.

What model LP did you play? If it had the 60s profile, they probably aren't getting much thinner than that so if you don't like the necks, you're a bit SOL.

FWIW if I don't like the neck right away, I don't bother. It's very rare that the profile will grow on me over time.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'm one of those players who prefer a thicker neck. With that said, I play everything from an Ibanez RG to a Les Paul and don't really struggle with any profile. I think it is a good thing to play very different guitars, because you improve a lot having to constantly adapt your playing to different conditions.

However, I would advise you not to sell those guitars - if you still like them, to buy a guitar which you already are uncertain of before buying, that seems to speak for itself. I think both a MIM Fender Standard and an LTD 1000-series are very good guitars and I doubt that the money you will be able to get for them used will buy one guitar that is much better.

I'm not arguing that Gibsons are overpriced, both because I really don't agree and because it really is not that simple as saying that without giving very specific reasons, reasons that are highly subjective when looking at what the features are.

What I am arguing is that, as I see it, there are not really any good reasons to sell good guitars that you own at a loss to go out and buy something unknown. Maybe if you absolutely don't like what you have now, but I have personally found that it isn't as simple as that either. Liking something comes and goes at times, and having that urge to buy new gear is never a good thing if it means selling something else. Sold guitars are gone forever.

TL; DR: Resist GAS if you can't afford to buy a new guitar without selling the guitars you already own.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
If I was a serious musician on a moderate budget, I'd probably have a Gibson Les Paul Standard as my studio/home recording guitar and an ESP EC1000 as a guitar to bring out on the road with me. There is literally no way I would go gigging with a $3,500 guitar.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Being the owner of both I never had a problem adjusting to my Lp's neck after playing the EC for so long. Yes the neck is thicker on my LP but not so much thatit makes it uncomfortable. Best thing for you to do is to go try out a bunch of LPs and compare them to the EC.
Did you a favor and took a pic of the necks for you to compare. Excuse the crappy quality and the mess lol.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Last edited by ltdguy27 at Sep 17, 2014,
This:
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

FWIW if I don't like the neck right away, I don't bother. It's very rare that the profile will grow on me over time.

Plus this:
What I am arguing is that, as I see it, there are not really any good reasons to sell good guitars that you own at a loss to go out and buy something unknown. Maybe if you absolutely don't like what you have now, but I have personally found that it isn't as simple as that either. Liking something comes and goes at times, and having that urge to buy new gear is never a good thing if it means selling something else. Sold guitars are gone forever.

...are true.

Only buy guitars that feel comfy to you right off the bat. Buying gear that doesn't feel right while you're in the store contemplating the purchase will result in dissatisfaction. Since there are literally hundreds of not thousands of guitar makers out there, your odds of finding something you can afford that feels right, looks right and sounds right are actually quite good if you're patient.

Only sell gear you're dissatisfied with. And before you do, make sure that whatever the problem is is something that cannot be fixed. "The one that got away" always feels bad, but the one you sold or gave away? Those can feel horrible.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 17, 2014,
Is it a tone issue that you want to swap the EC for the Gibson?

If you like the feel of the EC try changing the pickups to match the sound you want from the Gibson? If you have the EMG version of the EC you would have to replace all of the internals to switch to some passives (buy the pickups in the Gibson you like and drop them in the EC).

Just a less expensive alternative.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by AndyGray
Hey y'all.

I'm currently looking at selling both my current guitars;
Fender Strat MIM HSS
ESP Eclipse LTD EC-1000

And buying one better guitar.

I am looking at getting a Gibson Les Paul,

Why?

I'm a big Gibson fan, and I've got a stack of them. A Gibson 335-12 was my first guitar, and I've got a $4K Axcess Custom and a bunch of vintage Gibbies as well (there are shots of my L5S in the Les Paul thread from a couple of weeks ago).

I understand the Gibson reputation and mystique, but if your aim is to buy a "better" guitar, you need to ask yourself what's "better" about it. In terms of quality, my personal view is that Gibson begins to come into its own when the guitars get past around $3500. But I don't think they do a great job when the pricing dips much below that. Same goes for materials, and remember that this is still a 60-year-old design.
Quote by metalmingee
Is it a tone issue that you want to swap the EC for the Gibson?

If you like the feel of the EC try changing the pickups to match the sound you want from the Gibson? If you have the EMG version of the EC you would have to replace all of the internals to switch to some passives (buy the pickups in the Gibson you like and drop them in the EC).

Just a less expensive alternative.

This is a good option. It's a lot cheaper than buying a new guitar. So yeah, if you want the tone of a Les Paul, try to buy the same pickups that the LP uses. Gibson pickups, in my opinion, are a bit over priced, but if it's the tone you want, then it's still cheaper than a new guitar.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
I've had both, I can certainly say that after getting my LP standard I never played the EC1000 anymore and in fact just sold it the other day. The 60's neck on the standard felt a lot better to me than the EC1000's neck.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I struggle greatly with Les Pauls' not because of the thickness of the neck but because of the cutaway. I've got big hands but short fingers and it makes it way too difficult to reach the higher frets, especially when standing up. Rhythm playing is fine and the Les Pauls' sound certainly kicks ass for that.

That is the very reason I bought a ec-1000 instead. It is sold now but it had nothing to do with the guitar itself, just wanted an amp upgrade.