Hey. I'm new here. I've been wanting to convert from Ukulele to Guitar for a long time, but all the guitars out there are waaaaaaaaaay out of my $31 price range. I bought a beginners guitar from the internet for $29.95 and I'm well aware that it's cheap and fragile. So, that's why I'm asking. I want to try and get this guitar I bought to last just a tiny bit longer than it's likely to last.

I heard you can't use steel on most ukuleles because the steel will break the neck. So you use Nylon instead. Does this apply to guitars too? Can I make this guitar last longer if I use Nylon instead of the steel strings? Thanks a bunch.
I have no idea how nylon strings will affect the longevity of the guitar. What I do know is that you can use nylon strings (look at classical guitars), you just won't be able to play the guitar through an amp.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
That's fine. I don't think my mother would want me to use an amp. lol She says "Neither would the neighbors."
Nylon strings are for Classical guitars that are designed to produce the sound levels on lighter tension strings. They also are not structurally strong enough for steel strings. Conversely a normal guitar will probably not give you the sound you want with nylon. But there is nothing to stop you from trying.
Just get yourself a steel string acoustic UNLESS you specifically want to play classical guitar.

I play classical guitar, and while it is a great and fun instrument, steel string guitars just sound better for strumming around. The steel strings have a chime and brilliance to them that makes chords sound nice and full. Classical guitars basically put out what you give them. Your technique is actually more important than the actual guitar.

So yeah, basically just get a regular ole steel string acoustic and have fun!
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The guitar arrived, but I'm worried about keeping it in tune. It is a cheap and lightweight guitar, but so is my Ukulele however the uke strings still stay in tune after you play with the strings for a bit. Do strings on a cheap guitar stay in tune after a while?
If it is a very cheap, low quality guitar I would recommend nylon strings because of lower tension just t be sure your guitar neck won't bend. But it really only depends on what kind of bridge does this guitar have. If you have a classical guitar bridge type you should definitely put nylon strings because otherwise your bridge might separate from the body. It happened to me once so it could happen to you, especially if you have a low quality guitar.
You should start with a nylon string classical guitar because it will be easier on your fingertips than a steel string acoustic guitar.
An Overview for selecting guitar:

* Select the Guitar That Reflects Your Musical Interest
* Nylon String Guitars Are Typically Used for Classical and Folk Music; Steel String Guitars for Rock, Country and Most Other Styles
* No Matter What You Choose, Every New Guitar Needs To Be Adjusted
* With Either Type of String, Fingers Will Initially Become A Little Tender And Sore
* Strings Are Not Interchangeable Between Nylon and Steel String Guitars
* Nylon Strings May Need To Be Tuned More Frequently
* The Misconception
Quote by ibanezguitars44
Just get yourself a steel string acoustic UNLESS you specifically want to play classical guitar.

I play classical guitar, and while it is a great and fun instrument, steel string guitars just sound better for strumming around. The steel strings have a chime and brilliance to them that makes chords sound nice and full. Classical guitars basically put out what you give them. Your technique is actually more important than the actual guitar.

So yeah, basically just get a regular ole steel string acoustic and have fun!

Or you might be like me - of the opinion that nylon strings sound better on acoustics.

It has to be your choice.
I'm sorry to say, but a guitar that cheap will most likely be more trouble than it's worth, if it's even playable/holds a tune.

There's only so cheap you can go to get something functional, and $30 is too cheap for a guitar.

Rondomusic.com is your friend for a guitarist on a budget.

Here is a Valencia 4/4 classical for $50: http://www.rondomusic.com/classkit1na.html

And a Hadean full size steel string for $70: http://www.rondomusic.com/FG364CTSB.HTML

I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass/impossible for you to return the guitar you bought, but either of these would actually not fall apart in a matter of weeks or months like the one you bought probably will. Rondo is reputable and well known.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I'm sorry to say, but a guitar that cheap will most likely be more trouble than it's worth, if it's even playable/holds a tune.

There's only so cheap you can go to get something functional, and $30 is too cheap for a guitar.

Rondomusic.com is your friend for a guitarist on a budget.

Here is a Valencia 4/4 classical for $50: http://www.rondomusic.com/classkit1na.html

And a Hadean full size steel string for $70: http://www.rondomusic.com/FG364CTSB.HTML

I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass/impossible for you to return the guitar you bought, but either of these would actually not fall apart in a matter of weeks or months like the one you bought probably will. Rondo is reputable and well known.

I'll check out those sites. Also, I'd like to say I managed to make the 30 dollar guitar sound good.
Nylon strings will have to be retuned every time you sit down with the guitar. The 3 treble strings will stretch a lot before they start to settle in a bit. They still will require a slight tuning every time you pull it out to play, even after that. The 3 silvered bass strings will settle in much quicker.

imho, nylon strings have a definite place in my collection of guitars. They sound fantastic on all types of Jazz, particularly the Latin variety, and my Godin is mind blowing good through a good amp with a touch of image blended in from a Fishman Aura. Folk, Jazz, Delta Blues - it's so right for all of them.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1