I'm trying to figure out my short comings when learning guitar one problem i've noticed is that i tend to loose motivation adn focus when learning a song and move on rather quickly (which is why i know very little songs all the way through but a lot of riffs)

Other than obvious one of not trying to learn a song outside of your comfort zone, anyone got any tips that will help me maintain my focus when learning a song and not deviate too much
Do you find it fun to play along with the actual song itself? Or do you just play with no music at all besides your guitar?
Quote by ken styles
Do you find it fun to play along with the actual song itself? Or do you just play with no music at all besides your guitar?

When learning a new riff etc. i have nothing but my guitar sounding (as well as the song in my head) when i feel confident enough i TRY to play along with the record but i'm never fast or accurate enough, problem is i'm quite a perfectionist so ... i seem to set really high standards and goals for myself
Have you tried any slowing down software with the song?

sounds like the missing link between the 'guitar only' and 'song to fast' that you mentioned.
A good move is to have a good reason to nail a song - this could be a small gig or even just playing the tune with or for a mate or family member. We all need deadlines of some sort to get things really happening. Commit to a specific time on a specific day and have a reason in place. There's nothing like the fear of cocking everything up in front of other people to drive us to make progress!
I bought Tux Guitar for a few pounds you can get hundreds of songs of your choice and slow them down as slow as you like till you can nail em to the floor then just keep moving the speed up ,it plays the song as well and shows the tab I love it
Quote by SpiderM
Have you tried any slowing down software with the song?

sounds like the missing link between the 'guitar only' and 'song to fast' that you mentioned.

Yep slowing down the playback helps a lot when learning a new song. I would also recommend Guitar Pro. You can slow down the songs in there as well, and can also cut out the guitar sounds so you are basically playing along to drums/bass/piano/etc.
The answer is very obvious, whether you like it or not there's no point trying to learn songs that you are literally nowhere near good enough to play, you have to build up, pick a favourite song, make sure you can play it and learn, don't stop learning it until you have the whole song, this is the only answer
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by CJGunner7
The answer is very obvious, whether you like it or not there's no point trying to learn songs that you are literally nowhere near good enough to play, you have to build up, pick a favourite song, make sure you can play it and learn, don't stop learning it until you have the whole song, this is the only answer

My problem is most of my "favourite songs" are kinda hard, i find simple songs boring

Example of some of my favourite songs (ignoring complexity)

Scuttle Buttlin' - SRV
Empty Arms - SRV
The God That Failed - Metallica
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Bark at the Moon - Ozzy
Courage - Orianthi
Cliff of Dover - Eric Johnson
Run to The Hills - Iron Maiden
Angels Wings (Acoustic) - Social Distortion
In The Middle - Theory of a Deadman
Last edited by Tcrumpen at Sep 19, 2014,
SRV and Eric Johnson have been playing for quite a bit longer than you buddy
it is hard to find the songs you want to play and can play with your present level
but keep looking and though it feels difficult at first keep at note at a time bar at a time
don't move on till you have it dead in the water , if you cant play it well at 60bpm you certainly wont be able to play it at 130bpm , the more you try the easier it will get and the faster you
pick stuff up don't ever give up your on a journey certainly not in a race
I do the same thing, theres certain riffs that I HAVE to learn so I do. Some songs I need to learn so I do but I just get bored(?), for lack of a better term, playing somebody else's songs. I just like to create, maybe a chorus or intro that I just learned I try to make my own bridge to it that sounds cool.

As a Tool fan a lot of their songs are rough to learn in its entirety. So many variations and different riffs with the odd timing, dead notes, etc. that I just want to learn the riffs that make me cream. Especially when I don't have the gear to sound like Adam Jones
so I am new to all of this.... when I find a song on this site, I can actually play it on the computer and slow down the tempo??!! to try and keep up? How??
Quote by dmckindley
so I am new to all of this.... when I find a song on this site, I can actually play it on the computer and slow down the tempo??!! to try and keep up? How??

download tux guitar
download the .gp5 file of song
open .gp5 file in tux guitar
Just going to have to be painfully blunt here: if you lack motivation and patience, are easily bored repeating the same bars over and over, and frustrated over not being able to play material perfectly and at-speed right away, then you simply picked the wrong hobby. There are no shortcuts to proficiency. Leaning an instrument of any kind (possible exception might be the kazoo) requires time, repetition, and patience. You need to enter into the proposition of playing with clear eyes, knowing it will take years of dedication to reach the level of expertise of many of the artists you listen to.

Even if you aren't entertaining notions of "going pro", it's a skill that requires time, effort and patience. Set realistic goals for yourself, and if you're dissatisfied with your progress you can either seek the advice of a guitar instructor or just step away from it for a while until your zeal returns.

Bottom line, there's no magic wand to make you into a microwave Van Halen. Just stick with it, measure your progress in inches (or centimeters, if you prefer) and keep it fun.
Quote by StarGeezerTim
Just going to have to be painfully blunt here: if you lack motivation and patience, are easily bored repeating the same bars over and over, and frustrated over not being able to play material perfectly and at-speed right away, then you simply picked the wrong hobby. There are no shortcuts to proficiency. Leaning an instrument of any kind (possible exception might be the kazoo) requires time, repetition, and patience. You need to enter into the proposition of playing with clear eyes, knowing it will take years of dedication to reach the level of expertise of many of the artists you listen to.

Even if you aren't entertaining notions of "going pro", it's a skill that requires time, effort and patience. Set realistic goals for yourself, and if you're dissatisfied with your progress you can either seek the advice of a guitar instructor or just step away from it for a while until your zeal returns.

Bottom line, there's no magic wand to make you into a microwave Van Halen. Just stick with it, measure your progress in inches (or centimeters, if you prefer) and keep it fun.

I understand that it will take time, i only get bored with the easy songs, which of course is counter intuitive as in order to do hard stuff i need to know the basics, all of the songs i dream about playing are all rather complex (Always With Me, Always With You - Joe Satriani being one of them)
Tcrumpen, how long have you been playing? How long have you had this issue with lack of motivation in learning difficult songs? And, when you approach trying to learn them, how do you go about practicing them? Are you trying one part at a time? Are you trying to play straight through the entire thing?

If you could take the time to answer these questions, or share further information about how you go about practicing I believe I could help you out. A lot of my students who like learning songs run into this problem. You may just need to find a way to approach learning songs in a different way that works best for you.
start with easy songs like 3 chord songs justin guitar has a list of easy songs to hard songs.
and learn the songs. i learning 3 little birds its a chord d chord and e chord.
learing guitar is very hard but iam sticking with it
When I first started learning I really wanted to play Angie by the Stones. Had to wait a few months until I got the chords and all the basics going. I still am slow with the chord changes but maybe that will come in time.
It took me a good week, about 1.5 hours per day, to get the into and the verse down. To listen it sucks but I am getting the mechanics down and slowwwwwwly faster.
One little trick I found is for developing muscle memory just keep bangin away at one that makes the muscle burn in your hand, like the barre F chord, switching back and forth. For me the muscle mem built up quick. Just don't over do it, you want to be able to come back and bang away the next day.
To circle back around I am hoping that I really can nail Angie! (Ha) soon. Dang I hope she is cute.
Quote by milehighshred
Tcrumpen, how long have you been playing? How long have you had this issue with lack of motivation in learning difficult songs? And, when you approach trying to learn them, how do you go about practicing them? Are you trying one part at a time? Are you trying to play straight through the entire thing?

If you could take the time to answer these questions, or share further information about how you go about practicing I believe I could help you out. A lot of my students who like learning songs run into this problem. You may just need to find a way to approach learning songs in a different way that works best for you.

I've been playing now for about 5 years, however i've always been a casual player, i've always had other things to do to stop me from dedicating a lot of time to it (for example i'm now working 9 - 5.30 in the morning, and when i get home i have 2 hours before i have to go to sleep ready for work the next day), my motivation issues seem to be sporadic at times, but often it's when i see better guitarist on YouTube (i like to watch covers) and although i wish to do that, i know i can't ergo loose my concentration and motivation: I'm a perfectionist and my perfectionism manifests itself in the sense of: if i know i can't do it perfectly i'll put it off until i know can do it perfectly (which of course can never happen as nothing is ever perfect i know)

My approach tends to be learn it bit by bit, but sometime i try to learn the bit that i like first rather than starting at the beginning the best (which sometimes is the intro, sometimes is the verse etc.)
Quote by StarGeezerTim

I think that this is the best advise I've read so far. I'm new at this, year and a half. I practice an hour a day in 15 min. slots. 30 minutes a day on weekends. Wife keeps me busy doing "Honey Do's" I'm learning this one song from GuitarNick's site, Canon in D. His arrangement doesn't appear anything other than "beginner" but I've been practicing it for 5 weeks. Yes, I can tell a difference between week one and week 5 but I'm no where near his performance.

I now realize that it takes an incredible amount of practice, at least for me. So, I feel a little better after reading your comment. But I wonder if I should give this tune a rest and try some other song for awhile or should I keep plugging away at this tune until I nail it before moving on. I'm not bored with it but it does get a little frustrating making mistakes and playing it at half his speed.