I hope I'm ok posting this & I have enough detail... My days of high-gain heads are coming to an end. So now I want to get a great clean sound and to use my drive pedals for fuzz/distortion.

I'm happy for the sound to break a little, but will need to be able to keep up in clubs/mid sized venues (for stage sound). Budget is max £700 if possible. Head only (needs to be a head due to living in central Lonond & having no car). That would mean I need the sound to be accepting of a potentially large range of different speaker cabs as I borrow one each show...

I plug all my pedals through the front, so not worried about effects loop. A good reverb would be nice so I can leave that off my board.

Vox AC30 heads seem to be well in my budget 2nd hand. How far can you push one in a loud live setting & still be clean? Are they worth looking at? I'd love a Fender head, but those seem out of my budget- seen a few old models, but wary of buying a 40 year old head without playing it first.

Any other suggestions in that price range? Cheers
Quote by matthewa
Any other suggestions in that price range? Cheers
Make sure the venues you play in have PA systems, or get a PA system yourself.

Then use whatever clean amp you like the sound of.

Also the AC30 might as well be the loudest amp ever.
You could get an AC50 or AC100 (if you can find one) if you like that kinda sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Hard to find likely, especially in the UK, but i've read about Sunn Beta leads, they are supposed to have very high headroom, (150+ watts) and get great volumes without breaking up. Also, apparently they take pedals very well.

My vote, in terms of the clean tones i'd like, would most likely go to a Fender, or maybe some other more boutique companies such as Two Rock & Matchless (only really heard base tones from these companies, can get a really lovely jazzy clean sound from them).
Vox AC30s make for loud 30 watts, but I still prefer more headroom. My rule of thumb is 50 watts or more if I'm playing with a full band (e.g. at least one other guitarist, a bassist, and a drummer), but I like my cleans to be pristine.

Is your heart set on a single channel? I imagine that it can't hurt you to have multiple channels if it has good clean capabilities.
Get the AC100 with EL34's then.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Find a Randall RM100 and load it up with clean modules. You can have yourself three different types of cleans. You can have yourself Vox and Fender and still have a spare slot for something else, say Hiwatt or Lonestar. You see them go for that sort of money used all the time.
Sure it's not a single channel amp but you can use it as one. In my current band I only use one module in mine. You will be able to change it down the track if you get bored with it.
Here's two third party companies that make modules. Take a look at what they have available and you'll see what I mean.
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications

I have modules from both of them. Good shit.

Here's one. It doesn't have a clean module per se although the Plexi module will give you very nice cleans if you keep the gain down.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANDALL-RM100-100-WATTS-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD-LOADED-WITH-3-CARDS-LQQK-NICE-/291144076565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c98a0d15
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 17, 2014,
Fender bassman or traynor yba-1 would be cool. Not sure what those go for over there.

I use a bassman and it has plenty of headroom for gigs. But you can crank it for some sweet break up tones as well.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
musicman has some hybrid heads. i have a 2x12" and it does well, SS pre and for post amp is tube. pretty cheap overall. i really like mine. then if you really want to spend some money and send it to fuchs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks everyone, some interesting things to check out.

Quote by chrismendiola
Is your heart set on a single channel? I imagine that it can't hurt you to have multiple channels if it has good clean capabilities.

Not exactly, but I currently use a single channel amp live and it's what I'm used to. I still want get a heavy sound, but other multi channel amps that I'm accustomed to (Mesa, 5150, Rockerverb, JCM900 & 2000) don't get a tone that I want in a drive for my own sound. The JCM900 more so, but I find it a little bright. So I don't really want to get an amp with channels that I'm not likely to use.

I've found a few Fender heads (couple of Showmans & a Bassman), and an Orange OR120, in my price range so I'm going to see if I can try some of them out. There's also a crazily cheap AC30, but listening to videos I just don't think that's the sound for me.
As a part of become other musical instruments such as violin and drum I would like the 50-60watts.