Hey guys, as I'm getting into production and studio stuff and I'm curious about recording some young bands, just as a bit of experience. Plus I also work for a youth organization which probably will allow me to set up a project studio.

So: What sort of gear would I be needing? So far I have interfaces, mics headphones and so on and a lot of the gear in pro studio's are making my head sore. So I was wondering if I could get a basic rundown from you guys of what I would need to make things at a Demolike level.

Thanks a lot!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by vocoderboy
a good DAW and ability to use it effectively.
i'm not saying its a pro solution however, a good DAW will have all you need 'inbox' to record to a good demo level.
also some monitors ( speakers )

Sweet, currently I'm using Logic right now at College, but a Macbook and Logic is on my to do list. I like the interface.

Also: What do I do about interfaces and headphones in regard to all the bands being able to hear themselves in a mix? I've looked at the Scarlett 1820 but there's only two headphone outs.

What's a solution to this? (And is it rackmountable?) Was wanting a rack unit so I could have everything in one place.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Also: What do I do about interfaces and headphones in regard to all the bands being able to hear themselves in a mix? I've looked at the Scarlett 1820 but there's only two headphone outs.
No interface I can think of has more than 2 headphones output.

If you want a pro solution, you need a personal mixer for every member of the band and a way to send all the tracks to each of the mixers, ideally a digital one - a dante net for example.

Very expensive.

On the cheap you can do that by getting a single headphones amp for every member of the band, you connect two outputs from the interface to each headphones mixer and you set up the personal mix for the people playing.

Also I wouldn't get a 18i20.
You will get much better results with an onyx blackbird (or two) or a MOTU for the same money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If the saffire is like the 18i20 you can send individual mixes out of each output.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
^ you can do that with every audio interface I can think of actually.

Thing is, that way every guy playing would have to ask TS to set some instruments higher and some lower and spend more time, while with a personal mixer for every guy playing the time spent in that would be greatly reduced.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you plan on a mobile rig don't pass over the idea of getting a standalone DAW like a Tascam, Korg, Yamaha etc. It eliminates the need for a multi input/output interface or having any latency issues and it offers a lot of perks. I have an older Tascam 2488 24 track digital recorder that I can just pickup and carry anywhere. It weighs almost nothing and it has 8 mic inputs. I bring it back home, run a USB to my computer and download the tracks to my DAW software (Sonor) and do my mixes from there. While my Tascam 2488 limits me to eight tracks of simultaneous live recording I would think there are workstations that offer more if that's what you need. When I record a live band I bring a Mackie 12 channel mixer for the drums that I feed out to a stereo track so I get a lot from this recorder. I have a 12 channel 75 foot mic snakebox that has four returns to send back a mix if needed and a six channel Art headphone amp and headphones package. It is all very portable and sets up quickly. A lot will depend on how much extra gear you already own (mic cables, microphones, outboard mixers etc.)
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 19, 2014,