This is all academic, because the local shop where I bought the amp is taking care of it for me. But for my own peace of mind, I want to know whether I was totally responsible in this case in order to keep it from happening again.

Basically, the amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III. It was purchased used, but the tubes had allegedly been freshly replaced. I've been playing out of it for a few days, gotten pretty loud with it, no problems. Great amp. Amazing clean tone.

I picked up a few pedals today and rocked out a bit, and ultimately discovered that my clean sustain was now marred by some pretty ugly distortion. Guy at the shop says it's probably a bad tube. Of all the pedals I played with, the only one I can imagine blowing out a tube would have been the EP Booster, but I had it set at no more than 12 o'clock while the volume on the amp was set at around a 3 (out of 12). It seems crazy to me that this was a reckless decision on my part, but I am not a genius when it comes to tech. So any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
^ what he said
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks guys, I figured as much... I mean it's just a little pre-amp.

If anyone's willing to follow up: what DOES cause tubes to fail? Or is it just an inevitable thing that, in this case, lined up coincidentally with my purchase of the amp?
Quote by hombre_lobo
Thanks guys, I figured as much... I mean it's just a little pre-amp.

If anyone's willing to follow up: what DOES cause tubes to fail? Or is it just an inevitable thing that, in this case, lined up coincidentally with my purchase of the amp?

new tubes are not really made to the spec's they used to be (a few are) so failure can just happen. I have had new tubes last years and others last seconds. So there is no "this is how long tubes last" answer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
nope. probably not and ever higher levels ans definitely at 3 on the volume
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
while i was receiving my three JCA2112RC's one blew them all immediately. i got the next replacement, and it didn't even fire. then i get the third i was leery of it, so i just said i am happy and don't want it back. they asked if i would except anything else, i said a open back orange cab . frustrating, but i won
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/