Okay, I saw this pedal that the smashing pumpkins used so i pretty much had to have it, also because having a phaser would be cool. thats when i saw the price. wtf whats so special about the pedal? its just like every other phaser except discontinued, just because its discontinued why does it need to be that much? thanks in advance.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Iconic unit, not many made, no more currently being made = higher demand than supply. Welcome to the vintage gear market and/or basic economics.

A lot of those old pedals used parts that don't exist or aren't used any more in modern pedals. So they sound different or they are fairly unique compared to newer offerings. Some people pay a lot of money to sound like or use the same gear that their heroes did. On top of that, there's a simple nostalgia or historic reverence that goes with old gear, especially if it was associated with someone famous.
The Mu-Tron Bi-Phase was considered to be ahead of its time when it was released back in the 1970s. Unlike most phasers, it had two sweep circuits (hence "Bi-Phase"), and it could be controlled with an expression pedal - almost unheard of back in those days. That the Smashing Pumpkins made great hay over how much it contributed to the overall sound of the Siamese Dream album made it a must-have for a lot of musicians at that time.

Is it really any better or even different than today's state-of-the-art phasers? Probably not, but you will have to decide for yourself.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley