After playing for so many years, I've decided it was about damn time to start doing my own set ups. It's been going well, even restored a friend's Strat for them from the ground up. But I'm wondering, is it best to change the strings one at a time or cut them all off in one go to make cleaning easier? I've tried both ways and haven't noticed any adverse affects either way.
Generally on guitars with trems I do one at a time to avoid setting up the trem again, unless as stated above, that I want to clean the fretboard and oil it. On my non trem guitars i just remove all oof them.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
That depends entirely on the guitar.

With a Strat or Tele I see no reason to change strings one at a time. It takes much longer to do it that way, for no reason at all. The guitar or the neck will not be affected or any kind of nonsense like that which you sometimes hear. (Just don't cut all the strings while they're tuned to pitch, but that speaks for itself.)

With Les Pauls, SG's and other guitars with a TOM-bridg and tailpiece, you have the danger of the tailpiece falling off and damaging the finish, as it is held in place only by the strings on most designs. But as long as you're aware of that, it is fine.

With a Floyd Rose and similar bridges, I would definitely change strings one at a time. The bridge can fall off and the springs will press it down into the body if you loosen to much of the string tension at a time. (Easiest way is to put a wedge under the bridge to hold it in place, change strings, and when you have the bridge held in place tune the guitar to pitch before removing the wedge, effectively removing the hassle of tuning until the bridge is in balance again.)
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I don't see a big benefit to pulling all the strings off at once. If you do one at a time the neck doesn't go through a full cycle of tension - no tension - tension within an hour, which can cause tuning fluctuations on some guitars. Not a huge deal, but annoying if you want to play it again right away.

I usually do one at a time except when I want to clean the fretboard, then I take them all off. Neither way is correct or wrong though, if you haven't noticed any issues then do whatever you feel like.
I'd always replace the strings all at once. Even on floyd rose guitars. I'd simply make a trem block to keep the bridge in the right position as I remove the strings.

It makes it far easier to clean the guitar and it has no adverse effects whatsoever. Tuning stability problems with the guitar regarding the neck flexing aren't too significant when the strings have to be stretched in anyway.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 17, 2014,
Thanks for all the insight guys. I was looking to give my Am Standard Strat a thorough cleaning tomorrow and all though I didn't notice any issues when I took all the strings off at once with my friends MIM strat (needed a truss rod adjustment anyways) I was a bit unsure. Mine has a maple fretboard, but needs a good cleaning I feel. I have it hard tailed so I don't think the bridge will be much of an issue if all the strings are removed. Just don't want to warp the neck, naturally lol
Quote by fLYinGV23
After playing for so many years, I've decided it was about damn time to start doing my own set ups. It's been going well, even restored a friend's Strat for them from the ground up. But I'm wondering, is it best to change the strings one at a time or cut them all off in one go to make cleaning easier? I've tried both ways and haven't noticed any adverse affects either way.

I can't tell you "best."

I rarely do a string at a time; mostly just clip them all off at once, even when working on Floyd-equipped guitars (which are blocked before I start clipping, of course). I can't tell you that's the best way to do it, but there are certainly no adverse effects. And it is a lot easier to clean when all the strings are off.
Quote by fLYinGV23
But I'm wondering, is it best to change the strings one at a time or cut them all off in one go to make cleaning easier?

Which is more comfortable for you? That's the best way to do it.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Which is more comfortable for you? That's the best way to do it.

Much like playing the instrument itself, eh? Lol, well granted there are no neck issues that can't be sorted via truss rod, taking them all off at once is the way I prefer because I like to give everything a good cleaning. Thanks for all help to everyone who posted
Since strings usually last me 6+ months, I always take all the strings off at once to properly clean and condition the fretboards with lemon oil.

If I did it more regularly, I probably wouldn't feel the need to clean and condition the fretboard so thoroughly, so I'd replace one at a time.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Sep 18, 2014,