I have been playing guitar for close to about a year now. I've been learning very quickly, learning complex solos and intricate riffs. I've made great progress but ever since I've started college I haven't had time to practice the way I want to. I used to put in 1-4 hours 6 days a week but now I'm lucky if I can get 4 hours in a week. I tried playing a bit earlier and my fingers are getting the same pain from the strings as if I just started. My hands just can't get to strings in time. How can I get back in shape? Mondays and Wednesdays are impossible to practice on. I have a ton of homework for the rest of the week.
Basically because you're playing so little compared to before, your fingers gradually go back to when your first started because the strings are keeping your calluses, over time they go away and yeah if you don't practice you will find it difficult to go things you could before, you can get back in shape by practising, you just have to find time
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by CJGunner7
Basically because you're playing so little compared to before, your fingers gradually go back to when your first started because the strings are keeping your calluses,

Not only that, but as this applies to everything else in life, practice is universally important. Your brain cells make connections to one another and they strengthen the more an activity is repeated, thus improving your skills. Lessening the amount by which you perform the activity weakens those connections, sometimes disconnecting altogether.

In a short, not-pedantic summation, you can't practise less and expect not to regress in skill.
Quote by chrismendiola
Not only that, but as this applies to everything else in life, practice is universally important. Your brain cells make connections to one another and they strengthen the more an activity is repeated, thus improving your skills. Lessening the amount by which you perform the activity weakens those connections, sometimes disconnecting altogether.

In a short, not-pedantic summation, you can't practise less and expect not to regress in skill.

Pretty much man
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by chrismendiola

That actually might be possible if he were improving as much as he said before. You have to practise less to tread water than you do to keep getting better.

I'd also wonder how playing 4 hours a week wouldn't keep callouses. Different if he weren't playing at all.

Unless he's playing 4 hours on a Saturday, that would make more sense... and would also make more sense with the regression thing. More info please!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Unless he's playing 4 hours on a Saturday, that would make more sense... and would also make more sense with the regression thing. More info please!

Definitely need more information, for sure, but I'll also definitely agree that the distribution of practice time throughout the week when you have limited time to devote to it is very important.

It's infinitely better to get in a good half an hour a day every day than it is to do 4 hours in one day.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah. I mean, I remember when I was at uni and I didn't have my guitar during the week- I wasn't really getting any better, but I wasn't really getting worse either. An hour or two at the weekend was enough to at least not lose what I had.

A cynic might say I didn't have much to lose, to be fair
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
That actually might be possible if he were improving as much as he said before. You have to practise less to tread water than you do to keep getting better.

I'd also wonder how playing 4 hours a week wouldn't keep callouses. Different if he weren't playing at all.

Well, I just went through Mr. Crowley and Cowboys from Hell. Had a bit of trouble with the latter but I wasn't warmed up. Guess I had an off day. My hands still get the same cramped feeling that I got when I first started. Gonna practice till I throw up over the weekend and maybe wake up early before classes during the week. Sometimes I just don't feel confident enough. I'm very stubborn, I know that I haven't even been playing for a year but it frustrates me to not be playing like other people. I really want to be good bad. I'm willing to be patient but sometimes I get upset at myself. I'm not some kid who's playing it to pick up girls, I legitimately am in love with my guitar.