I started downtuning and I realize that i get fretbuzz when I do it. This is my current guitar action. Not sure how to fix it. By the way I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
How dramatic is the change in tuning? Guitars should really stay in just one tuning until it is setup for a different one. Changing the tuning can have negative effects, especially if the change is substantial.
It's not too dramatic but I still get the fretbuzz. At the moment I was trying out drop C tuning
Quote by TomCat112
It's not too dramatic but I still get the fretbuzz. At the moment I was trying out drop C tuning
The SG has a short scale length. 24.75" IIRC.

You're going to get fret buzz, since the strings have less tension on them as you tune down.

It's fairly difficult to find one set of strings that will make you happy across multiple tunings, particularly low drop tunings. If it's just the bass strings buzzing, you can try a mixed set of strings, (light top, heavy bottom), which would put more tension on down low, and still leave vyou free to bend some of the tops, should you be so moved.

If your normal gauge strings are electric light, (.009 to .042), I sincerely doubt if you'll get decent results tuning much below E-e standard.

FWIW, this is the very reason that 7 string guitars have long scales(26" to maybe 27" or so), to raise the tension overall. I think the 7th string is tuned to B, only a 1/2 step below the C which you're trying to tune to.
With that type of guitar, the only way to drop tune any farther than E flat is to mix the string
windings around. A mixture of heavy gauge and light gauge strings will help. Of course, the tension of the strings is not that much when trying to drop that low.
I can tune my G-400 to C with very minimal fret buzz, but I also use 10-52's.

What gauge strings are you using?
Have you checked the neck relief?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Im considering getting beefy slinkys or heavy bottom light top. At the moment I am using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46 nickel wound, I am unsure as how to check the neck relief, do you mean adjusting the truss rod?
Quote by TomCat112
Im considering getting beefy slinkys or heavy bottom light top. At the moment I am using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46 nickel wound, I am unsure as how to check the neck relief, do you mean adjusting the truss rod?

The string gauge is your biggest issue, 10-52 are the lightest gauge I would use for tuning to C

Make sure you have your nut slotted to accept the larger strings or they will bind and you will have tuning issues
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate