I've heard a lot of distorted guitars that don't sound distorted. Think August Burns Red, Periphery, ERRA, etc. You'll know what I'm talking about if you've come across this too.

How do I get that kind of sound? It doesn't really have that distortion-fry or fuzz that I'm familiar with. I understand the the Proco RAT is more of a fuzzy pedal. I also understand that with (x)core, distorted guitars are more about volume, mids, and crunch than it is pushing your screamer to 11. Is that the key? Or is there something else?

Any tips? Pedal recommendations, EQ settings, etc. would be appreciated.
Quote by Will Lane
I've heard a lot of distorted guitars that don't sound distorted. Think August Burns Red, Periphery, ERRA, etc. You'll know what I'm talking about if you've come across this too.

How do I get that kind of sound? It doesn't really have that distortion-fry or fuzz that I'm familiar with. I understand the the Proco RAT is more of a fuzzy pedal. I also understand that with (x)core, distorted guitars are more about volume, mids, and crunch than it is pushing your screamer to 11. Is that the key? Or is there something else?

Any tips? Pedal recommendations, EQ settings, etc. would be appreciated.

could you explain in more detail or direct me to a song and what time in the song.

what are you using for an amp, i don't recall what or if you did. that is the biggest part.

most of the metal core stuff is 6505's boosted by a tubescreamer and a noise gate. mids up, bass middle treble what ever sound good to you.

so i can't really comment without more detail.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i don't hear what you are talking about. tell me what seconds in between. the guitars didn't have a ton a distortion, quite less than you would hear in most popular bands.

also they are tuned significantly lower than E. maybe drop A or lower
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Sep 18, 2014,
Djent. You have to take a "less is more" approach. More gain just muddies the tone. Relatively low gain, compared to most death metal bands, boosted with almost any type of decent overdrive pedal (0% Drive, 100% Volume). It's very gear dependent but also requires a certain technique to achieve it. It's a sound you really have to force out of your gear. If you're soft on your strings, you won't get there.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Noise gate turned up to 11, low distortion but super high gain pickups, and an axe fx 2. Well the first two at least, just look up how to get a djent tone or whatever.
^^Yep.

Gain is turned down quite a bit (but still high-gain amps -- very often Peavey 6505+s). Boosted by Tubescreamers. Mids are turned WAY up, while bass is turned way down. (The bass comes back in due to the fact that they are tuned WAY down (drop-A as a minimum -- often even lower than that). Treble is also not as high as you would think, though higher than the bass frequencies. Also, that tone is gated to hell and back. Boss NS-2 would do nicely.

I hate that tone.

Thankfully, my 6505+ is NOT tuned this way.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
^^Yep.

I hate that tone.

Thankfully, my 6505+ is NOT tuned this way.

I hate even more that when people wet their pants and start ranting if they hear a lot of saturated distortion and a touch of scooping when you are playing some Dying Fetus or something... Djent sound is not the answer for every genre.

But yeah, a lot of gating, barely any distortion from amp and a lot of pushing from pickups and/or overdrives. And metric shit-ton of mids.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3