I've been looking into getting new pickups for my guitar, and i'm really into the screamin demon, as well as the sustaniac, but it seems as though the Screamin Demon goes for a more vintage tone, rather than the sustaniac which is more towards modern metal.

What do you guys think, would they sound well together? And if not, what other pickups would you recommend?
Which way round are you planning?

I have seen the sustainiac mostly in the neck.
and the Deamon in the bridge, however there have been a few videos popping up with it in the neck and it sounds pretty good IMO.

It will work btw
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by loki_lulamen
Which way round are you planning?

I have seen the sustainiac mostly in the neck.
and the Deamon in the bridge, however there have been a few videos popping up with it in the neck and it sounds pretty good IMO.

It will work btw

Sustaniac in the neck, and demon in the bridge. Thanks!
Well, just to correct, I don't think Sustainiac has anything to do with "Duncan"?
Sustainiac, if I am not wrong, works as a regular neck pickup when it's off. Not amazing sounding, but hey, that's the sacrifice you got to make.
I would no way categorize Sustainiac pickup to any genre. It could be used all the way from atmospheric rock to the heaviest metal on Earth, all because of controlled but never-ending feedback.

It should work well with the screaming demon if you like the pickup.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by rami_cobain
I've been looking into getting new pickups for my guitar, and i'm really into the screamin demon, as well as the sustaniac, but it seems as though the Screamin Demon goes for a more vintage tone, rather than the sustaniac which is more towards modern metal.

What do you guys think, would they sound well together? And if not, what other pickups would you recommend?

I'm unclear, here.
A Sustainiac (like the Fernandes Sustainer) isn't just a pickup, but an entire system for producing sustain and feedback-like sustain transitions.

Did Seymour Duncan buy out the Sustainiac system er wot?
Quote by dspellman
I'm unclear, here.
A Sustainiac (like the Fernandes Sustainer) isn't just a pickup, but an entire system for producing sustain and feedback-like sustain transitions.

Did Seymour Duncan buy out the Sustainiac system er wot?

Well, it said nothing on the Sustainiac's site. I would think that either of them would have something said about one another if it was that way.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
Well, it said nothing on the Sustainiac's site. I would think that either of them would have something said about one another if it was that way.

my bad, i wrote it down without noticing ignore the whole duncan part
So here's the deal with a Sustainer. When it's on, it uses the output of the bridge pickup only, and it feeds a circuit board that sends a signal to the Sustainer Driver in the neck position that changes the magnetic field at a frequency that enhances and maintains the sound coming from the bridge pickup. One miniswitch turns the thing on and off, the other (usually) has a three-way switch that allows you to sustain either the original note OR transition to the note to an octave up (as sometimes happens with speaker feedback) OR transition to a combination of the original note plus the octave harmonic.

The Sustainer Driver in the neck position works like a standard pickup when the sustainer is off. It has a different sound depending on whether you have the single coil size pickup or the humbucker size pickup. Usually there's no other neck pickup. The Sustainer pickup could care less if you're doing modern metal or vintage country. My guitars are the exception to that rule; they have a single coil size Sustainer Driver in the same pickup ring as a single-coil-size humbucker (in my case, the DiMarzio Fast Track II, 18Kohm). This is difficult to wire up without getting a squealing mess, but I have a tech (Gary Brawer) who has done a lot of these.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 18, 2014,