Hey guys. I'm completely new to the guitar. I ordered a cheap acoustic one on ebay to help me convert from Uke to Guitar. I don't know if this error is because it's a cheap guitar, or if it's intentionally like that, or if the guitar is possessed by satan, however on the 3rd string, between the 4th and 6th fret, the guitar goes from B to C#. I'm curious, because I could've sworn it's supposed to go B,C,C# that being natural, but this paranormal guitar goes B,C#,C#, no joke. Is it supposed to be like that? Just curious and confused.

Thanks a bunch, because this really blew my mind. If it's not supposed to be like this, then I am completely awestruck and amazed because I have no explanation for it. If it isn't supposed to be like that, I know should be upset, however I'm not, I'm just incredibly amazed.
Last edited by ianhulett at Sep 18, 2014,
Okay. Now I'm upset. It does the same for the others too... except for the 5th string.
high fret maybe? is the note correct at the 6th fret?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
high fret maybe? is the note correct at the 6th fret?
Either the 6th fret is high, or the 5th fret is low. But yeah, somebody likely knocked off for the day before hammering the 6th fret all the way in. Or maybey the hit a knot in the fret board.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 18, 2014,
What I've noticed for the fifth fret all the way across the neck:

string 6: Pushing the string here makes a brushing noise, note is hard to make
string 5: Same as 6th
string 4: goes from F#(4th fret) to G#(5th fret)
string 3: goes from B(4th fret) to C#(5th fret)
string 2: must push hard or you get a brushing noise and the note isn't correct
string 1: Nothing wrong with this string

This was all across the fifth fret as I said. With this evidence, what could be wrong?
Are you the same person who had a $30 budget for a guitar? If so, no, it's not supposed to be like that. That's your $30 at work. The frets aren't properly placed. I'd tell you to go get it fixed, but you'd save a lot of money and stress if you go and get yourself a proper beginner's guitar.
Quote by ianhulett
This was all across the fifth fret as I said. With this evidence, what could be wrong?

You've already been told the answer as far as I can tell. Not that I'm a tech or anything, but having played a fair few kindling guitars, there doesn't seem to be anything to contradict the resident experts' opinions. Assuming it's just the 5th fret?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Sep 18, 2014,
How to test the above theories:

1. Hold down the note that's "not there" on the 5th fret.
2. Look really closely at the string next to the neck

If the string touches the 6th fret even slightly when you hold the 5th fret down then that's your problem - shitty frets. Either the 6th fret needs to come down lower or the 5th fret needs to be higher.

If you brought the guitar for $30 then I would recommend a hammer - if it was more I would recommend getting a refund and a new (better) guitar
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
How to test the above theories:

1. Hold down the note that's "not there" on the 5th fret.
2. Look really closely at the string next to the neck

If the string touches the 6th fret even slightly when you hold the 5th fret down then that's your problem - shitty frets. Either the 6th fret needs to come down lower or the 5th fret needs to be higher.

If you brought the guitar for $30 then I would recommend a hammer - if it was more I would recommend getting a refund and a new (better) guitar

Thanks for typing this. It appears that that's what's going on.

Since it is the $30 guitar, I'll see if I can fix it. Do I really need a hammer? Or can I use sand paper?
Quote by ianhulett
Thanks for typing this. It appears that that's what's going on.

Since it is the $30 guitar, I'll see if I can fix it. Do I really need a hammer? Or can I use sand paper?

The fret might not be seated all the way so try a hammer first; tap lightly but firmly.
Quote by Captaincranky
Either the 6th fret is high, or the 5th fret is low. But yeah, somebody likely knocked off for the day before hammering the 6th fret all the way in. Or maybey the hit a knot in the fret board.

LOL

and yeah i suppose the 5th fret could be low instead, that'd have a similar effect.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ianhulett
Thanks for typing this, (again). It appears that that's what's going on.

Fixed!

You need to get a non-marring hammer. (plastic face). Plan "B", would be to place a small block of hardwood between the face of the hammer and the fret.

And no, without some experience, and proper tools, sandpaper will most likely make things worst.
Quote by ianhulett

Or can I use sand paper?

I've never tried to hammer a fret lower with sandpaper but if you can do it... more power to ya.
next time, up your budget to $32. should solve the quality issues easily !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
I've never tried to hammer a fret lower with sandpaper but if you can do it... more power to ya.
MacGyver could do it, and I'm sure you're just being modest....
Quote by Captaincranky
MacGyver could do it, and I'm sure you're just being modest....

DAMN IT!!! Another thing Mac outdid me with. Nanoo Nanoo shozbot!(RIP Robin) To think MacGyver made me want a mullet.
I'll add to what Captain said, a wooden dowel will work well too, never use a hammer made of metal harder than the frets, which describes most unless you happen to have a brass one...and I wouldn't even use my brass one, I'd go with either a wood block or wooden dowel.

If tapping it in doesn't work, it'll have to be filed or sanded down some. My guess is the whole fretboard needs to be done. Not something for a novice to try, but if this is really a $30 guitar I guess it would be a good one to learn on...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...