Just wondered what peoples thoughts on the new extremely limited Tom Petty Kingman by Fender. I believe from reading there site that only 25 have been made and all are being sold in the states.

I am a fan of Tom Petty and it would only really apeal to me for that reason only, not that I am looking at buying anyway (couldn't afford it). Just wondered what peoples thoughts were?

Link below
http://www.fender.com/features/tom-petty-kingman-acoustic-guitar/
Wonder what the price is? I'd definitely opt for the Epiphone John Lennon signature model myself. They look quite a bit similar. Fender doesn't get a lot of love for their acoustics although I see no reason why they couldn't make a good one; but that strat headstock on an acoustic just looks silly to me. I was gonna get the epi JL as my next guitar but then I decided to get one with the features I wanted instead, like a cutout. Signature models are neat collectors items though and probably good guitars too.
looks interesting... wonder how Tom's ego would suffer if they have 21 still unsold by Christmas ?
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
A signature guitar, really? It looks like they just painted a "Sonoran" black....

Besides, most of the Tom Petty songs that stick with me, all have him playing a 12 string......"I'mmmm Freeeeeeee Fallinnnnnnnn".

Quote by rohash
Wonder what the price is?
Ahem, a signature guitar from Fender USA, with a run of only 25, and you are trying to compare price with an Epi mass production guitar?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-ej-160e-john-lennon-acoustic-electric

$425.00, no case.

And here's the non-signature "Kngman": http://www.fender.com/acoustics/dreadnought/master-designed-kingman-v-rf-ebony-fingerboard-ice-tea-burst/ That will be three grand, sil vous plait
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 18, 2014,
From what I read the cost is in or around $5,500 would think that is around £3000.

I thought Tom Petty always played Gibson acoustics???

It's down to personal taste I know but I personally think it looks pretty good. In my opinion I couldn't justify £3000 on a signature.

To be fair when I read that Fender were running this Signature I was pleased, as if you look all the signature Fender acoustics are reasonable in price (around £250-£350). But having the limited 25 made this gives them a reason to charge top dollar.
Quote by mattwigan
From what I read the cost is in or around $5,500 would think that is around £3000.

I thought Tom Petty always played Gibson acoustics???

It's down to personal taste I know but I personally think it looks pretty good. In my opinion I couldn't justify £3000 on a signature.

To be fair when I read that Fender were running this Signature I was pleased, as if you look all the signature Fender acoustics are reasonable in price (around £250-£350). But having the limited 25 made this gives them a reason to charge top dollar.
Dude, this is Fender USA, as opposed to Fender Asia, we're talking about.

The priciest thing that Fender ships from Asia ia a Dick Dale Signature with case, for around $600.00 USD.

It looks pretty good to me too but, I have an AE "Sonoran", which is almost a twin, save for the cutaway. It's worth about $400.00 USD.

If I were going to piss away $5000.00 on a signature guitar, I'd likely buy the Pete Townshend Gibson J-200.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 18, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
Dude, this is Fender USA, as opposed to Fender Asia, we're talking about.

The priciest thing that Fender ships from Asis ia a Dick Dale Signature wirth case, for around $600.00 USD.

It looks pretty good to me too but, I have an AE "Sonoran", which is almost a twin, save for the cutaway. It's worth about $400.00 USD.

If I were going to piss away $5000.00 on a signature guitar, I'd likely buy the Pete Townshend Gibson J-200.

I looked at the Fender Sonoran about 3 month ago, it was the surf green one looked pretty cool certainly differently. I thought it played ok for £300
Quote by mattwigan
I looked at the Fender Sonoran about 3 month ago, it was the surf green one looked pretty cool certainly differently. I thought it played ok for £300
Here's Petty with his 12 string Rick: He seems to split his time between that and a Tele onstage. I only found one picture of what could possibly be a Kingman with a Google search of "Tom Petty on stage". And that was from the back of the guitar.

I have a natural finish Sonoran. That's the only finish it comes in, left handed.

I just bought an Epiphone EJ-200-SCE (natural, left handed).

I have to say, that while I like them both, the Epiphone is a lot more guitar, and better made than the Fender, at about the same price
Quote by Captaincranky
A signature guitar, really? It looks like they just painted a "Sonoran" black....

Besides, most of the Tom Petty songs that stick with me, all have him playing a 12 string......"I'mmmm Freeeeeeee Fallinnnnnnnn".

Ahem, a signature guitar from Fender USA, with a run of only 25, and you are trying to compare price with an Epi mass production guitar?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-ej-160e-john-lennon-acoustic-electric

$425.00, no case.

And here's the non-signature "Kngman": http://www.fender.com/acoustics/dreadnought/master-designed-kingman-v-rf-ebony-fingerboard-ice-tea-burst/ That will be three grand, sil vous plait

$3000 bones, WHOAH! I guess they are hoping there are 25 die hard Tom Petty fans out there, which their might be. The photo in your link shows an all acoustic guitar while the link by the ts shows an A/E with volume and tone nobs similar to the epi JL. Being a Beatles fan myself, I'm still tempted to grab one of those Lennon signatures. It seems like steal now. Yeah I know a fender USA made is more desirable and a better guitar(hopefully) than a mass produced Asian guitar but $2600 better? Doubtful. Besides, although I like me some TP, Lennon is a MUCH bigger name appeal.
Last edited by rohash at Sep 19, 2014,
Quote by rohash
$3000 bones, WHOAH! I guess they are hoping there are 25 die hard Tom Petty fans out there, which their might be. The photo in your link shows an all acoustic guitar while the link by the ts shows an A/E with volume and tone nobs similar to the epi JL.
Well, they're ostensibly different guitars. I just grabbed a shot of the "Kingman" standard, ($3000,00) issue. The Petty version is likely going to be as much as 5K! I still think it looks like a black "Sonoran", and I know how you feel about those...

Quote by rohash
Being a Beatles fan myself, I'm still tempted to grab one of those Lennon signatures. It seems like steal now. Yeah I know a fender USA made is more desirable and a better guitar(hopefully) than a mass produced Asian guitar but $2600 better? Doubtful. Besides, although I like me some TP, Lennon is a MUCH bigger name appeal.
I've been told Epiphone's acoustics are being produced by Sammick, in Indonesia. To reiterate, I just bought their EJ-200-SCE in the LmtEd lefty version. For $400.00, the guitar is virtually flawless, and has better hardware and appointments than my Fender "Sonoran". (For about the same money@ current sell).

Epiphone is campaigning with 3 big Gibson Jumbos at the present: The EJ-200-SCE, the 1964 "Inspired by Texan", and the John Lennon model you have been looking at.

IMHO, you could do a lot worse than any of those three axes. The "Texan" gets great reviews also), but I can't speak to the Lennon model. So, if you're in the market, give them a look and listen inf you can.

They're claiming that sir Paul wrote and performed "Yesterday" on a Gibson "Texan". So there ya go, Beatles guitars for me and my men.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EETXANNH?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=DSA_-_Product&adpos=1t1&device=c&network=g&gclid=CI7y9bim7sACFSpo7AodvXgA9Q

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EETXANNH?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=DSA_-_Product&adpos=1t1&device=c&network=g&gclid=CI7y9bim7sACFSpo7AodvXgA9Q

And lastly, The EJ-200: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-ej-200ce-acoustic-electric-guitar

These are all "uber jumbos", unlike the Fenders we've been discussing which are both dreadnoughts.

In the right handed versions, these are all your choice, $400.00 a pop.

In any event, you're dealing with the American Luthier's Guild @ maybe $40.00 an hour, versus, the "Indonesian Luthier's Guild",(*) at maybe $4.00 an hour tops, and you can see very quickly why US made guitars are ten times the price.

So yes, there is a lot of very nice stuff coming out of Asia these days. When you come right down to it, the luthiers in Asia probably get more practice that those stateside, since they build more guitars!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 19, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
Well, they're ostensibly different guitars. I just grabbed a shot of the "Kingman" standard, ($3000,00) issue. The Petty version is likely going to be as much as 5K! I still think it looks like a black "Sonoran", and I know how you feel about those...

I've been told Epiphone's acoustics are being produced by Sammick, in Indonesia. To reiterate, I just bought their EJ-200-SCE in the LmtEd lefty version. For $400.00, the guitar is virtually flawless, and has better hardware and appointments than my Fender "Sonoran". (For about the same money@ current sell).

Epiphone is campaigning with 3 big Gibson Jumbos at the present: The EJ-200-SCE, the 1964 "Inspired by Texan", and the John Lennon model you have been looking at.

IMHO, you could do a lot worse than any of those three axes. The "Texan" gets great reviews also), but I can't speak to the Lennon model. So, if you're in the market, give them a look and listen inf you can.

They're claiming that sir Paul wrote and performed "Yesterday" on a Gibson "Texan". So there ya go, Beatles guitars for me and my men.

And lastly, The EJ-200: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-ej-200ce-acoustic-electric-guitar

These are all "uber jumbos", unlike the Fenders we've been discussing which are both dreadnoughts.

In the right handed versions, these are all your choice, $400.00 a pop.

In any event, you're dealing with the American Luthier's Guild @ maybe $40.00 an hour, versus, the "Indonesian Luthier's Guild",(*) at maybe $4.00 an hour tops, and you can see very quickly why US made guitars are ten times the price.

So yes, there is a lot of very nice stuff coming out of Asia these days. When you come right down to it, the luthiers in Asia probably get more practice that those stateside, since they build more guitars!

That EJ-200SCE is one sweet looking instrument. I'd have to say the best looking acoustic guitar out there. The 1964 Texan and EJ-160 JL look nice too but I'd have a hard time picking either one of them over the 200, even with 1 of my idols name on it. Oh well, I don't "need" another guitar.
I think 3 grand is way too much for a signature Fender Acoustic. Also, I don't see why Fender Acoustics get knocked around here. I own two of them, a 1999 DG20S and a CD60CE and I think they both sound great . I've been playing for 43 years and I don't have a problem with either one of them. True, Martins and Taylors are excellent guitars but, they are also expensive as hell and I'm on a low budget so having said that, I think Fender for the most part , do make some fine sounding Acoustics for the musician on a budget.
Quote by jeffo46
I think 3 grand is way too much for a signature Fender Acoustic....[ ]....
I think you missed the point slightly. The $3000.00 price tag I published was for a stock "Kingman". The Petty issue is likely to be closer to $5000.00.

Which is not only, "way too much", for a Fender acoustic, but, "way, way, way", too much money for a Fender acoustic.

I have A "Sonoran", and am reasonably happy with it. The Epiphone EJ-200 CE(*) I just bought, is a bit better, and much better appointed for the same money.

(The EJ-200's day to day sell is $399.95, identical to the Sonoran).

(*) The Epiphone EJ-200's have been solid tops since late 2011. I can't speak to prior models with laminate tops. AFAIK, the Sonoran has always been a solid top.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 26, 2014,