Hi,

I'm a beginner/intermediate on playing electric guitar. I mostly play hard rock or heavy metal songs and planning to the same in the future.

I have a question about using my little finger for power chords on E-Standart. I only use my index finger and my little finger (as finger 1 and finger 4) for power chords even for three string power chords... Example for a G5 chord; my index finger is on 3rd fret of the E string, and my little finger is on 5th frets of both A and D strings. I can not manage to do it other way with three fingers using my ring finger. Is this a bad thing?

I have been playing some kind of an ethnic folk music instrument for years. It has got three sets of strings. And it has got a chord system that is very similar to power chords with that three strings. And in its technique, we only use index finger and little finger to get power chord like sound, and we use it very much...

So, long story short, i am used to play power chords this way.. I can not change it.. Is it bad for learning guitar??

Thank you..

---
Last edited by noldor at Sep 18, 2014,
For power chords you'd probably be fine using this technique as long as you are still muting the other strings. However, being able to play power chords with 3 fingers will also translate somewhat into being able to play other types of chords using 3-4 fingers. Power chords can make some great songs but there are so many other sounds you can get out of a guitar with other types of chords.

I don't know what hard rock you are talking about, but a lot of hard rock uses other types of chords (Led Zeppelin being the obvious example). Most metal is power chords though or chords very similar to power chords.
Quote by bptrav
For power chords you'd probably be fine using this technique as long as you are still muting the other strings. However, being able to play power chords with 3 fingers will also translate somewhat into being able to play other types of chords using 3-4 fingers. Power chords can make some great songs but there are so many other sounds you can get out of a guitar with other types of chords.

I don't know what hard rock you are talking about, but a lot of hard rock uses other types of chords (Led Zeppelin being the obvious example). Most metal is power chords though or chords very similar to power chords.

First, thanks for the answer. =)

I wrote the music style i am playing just to point out the importance of the power chords. So, i don't want to play it with a completely wrong technique .. I didn't want to mean "i only need to learn power chords" with that, of course i need other chords as much as power chords =)

Though, i actually want to play rhythm guitar on metal style in the future. But, at this current learning stage, i thought it would be better to practice on rock songs, just to learn all kinds of different chords as you mentioned in your message. So i most likely practice Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Queen, Rolling Stones etc... Well, I'm not great at playing those other types of chords yet, i am still learning. But comparing to my level, i am not having very big issues about playing them.

For now, the power chords and other chords are completely two different worlds to me. When i play the other chords, i mostly make a 90-degree-angle with my wrist, so that i can use more fingers and i can use my finger tips more efficiently with that angle. But when i switch to power chords, i almost flatten that angle, so that i can get a more powerful little finger and it is also easier to slide to next chord at this wrist position.

=) Long story shot again; I just wanted to learn, if any expert guitar players also use the same technique with me, and it is ok to play like that.. Or is it just a completely wrong way to play power chords... But as i understand from your answer, it is not a wrong way, but it just may slow down learning other chords or switching between them... Am i right?

---
Last edited by noldor at Sep 18, 2014,
Jack White and Tom Morello both do this, you should be fine.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Quote by Tulkas

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
As long as you don't use tension to do this you're fine. I also do this.

If you really want to save fingers drop tune that guitar and give it a one finger power chord!
I tend to favour index and pinkie if the song consists mainly of power chords as it sets my wrist at a nice comfortable angle (particularly on lower frets).

That said, sometimes I will go to index and ring finger or 3 fingers. I reckon it's good practice to be able to swap 'on the fly' as some songs are easier with different fingerings depending on what chords/notes are coming next.
Quote by noldor
Hi,

I'm a beginner/intermediate on playing electric guitar. I mostly play hard rock or heavy metal songs and planning to the same in the future.

I have a question about using my little finger for power chords on E-Standart. I only use my index finger and my little finger (as finger 1 and finger 4) for power chords even for three string power chords... Example for a G5 chord; my index finger is on 3rd fret of the E string, and my little finger is on 5th frets of both A and D strings. I can not manage to do it other way with three fingers using my ring finger. Is this a bad thing?

I have been playing some kind of an ethnic folk music instrument for years. It has got three sets of strings. And it has got a chord system that is very similar to power chords with that three strings. And in its technique, we only use index finger and little finger to get power chord like sound, and we use it very much...

So, long story short, i am used to play power chords this way.. I can not change it.. Is it bad for learning guitar??

Thank you..

---

The short answer is that it's a terrible habit because when you use your index and your third finger it frees up your second finger and pinky to play upper chord voicings when necessary - that being said, if your tunes are simply running up and down actual power chords, then there's no real issue.
I don't think that there is a definite style of how to play something as long as you feel comfortable with it and it sounds good. But you should keep in mind that it is propabely harder for you the way you play it to progress from a powercord to a single note melody or to other chords, just because of the fact that you have to travel further with your fingers than somebody who uses the ring finger and pinkie. Because that way your fingers are not flat and "glued" to the fretboard but allredy bent.
I would also think, that you have in general more sound control in your fingertips than in your flat finger.
Last edited by HellToKitty at Sep 21, 2014,
Quote by entropicxdisson
Jack White and Tom Morello both do this, you should be fine.

Both are more known for their creativity. Not necessarily for their great sound. At least I would say that
Quote by HellToKitty
Both are more known for their creativity. Not necessarily for their great sound. At least I would say that

Tom Morello's technical ability is actually vastly underrated by most guitarists. Dude can shred it up when he wants to, it just really doesn't fit with what the bands he's in are doing most of the time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'd say get used to playing them both ways,It's always good to be as flexible as you can.You say that you "cannot manage" to play them with three fingers,That's only because you have'nt learned how to yet.You should do it simply to get you into the habbit of learning how to do things that you can't yet.You are gonna come accross much much more challenging things than power chords as you progress,Get into the habbit of working out of your comfort zone now imo.For eg I found jazz chords very hard to finger and change between at first,That's until i learned how and practiced.Learning to play an instrument takes work whoever you are.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Sep 21, 2014,