I wondering what aspects of your gear you put a lot of weight on, that come in the deal-breaker class.

For me in acoustics it is a non-resettable neck joint. In electrics it is poor string-to string balance of the pickups, and mud in either the pickup and amp, plus a look inappropriate to what I play. Other deal breakers in both acoustics and electrics are excessive bling or fancy timber, the latter particularly in electrics.

What say?
Usually with guitars it's Floyds as I just don't use em, but I love the feel of my Alexi.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Tony Done
I wondering what aspects of your gear you put a lot of weight on, that come in the deal-breaker class.

For me in acoustics it is a non-resettable neck joint. In electrics it is poor string-to string balance of the pickups, and mud in either the pickup and amp, plus a look inappropriate to what I play. Other deal breakers in both acoustics and electrics are excessive bling or fancy timber, the latter particularly in electrics.

I'm not sure what a non-resettable acoustic neck joint is; I've got a '67 Martin D35 that requires a voodoo priestess to reset, but it CAN be reset. I don't like poor string-to-string balance, but that's certainly fixable without a lot of pain. So is mud. I've got guitars that would probably be considered "inappropriate" ( a skull and crossbones graphic on a black bass in church?), but I can get away with anything. I just call it "ironic" and laugh it off. I *love* excessive bling, especially when it comes to the old really expensive (for their day) archtop Epiphones, Gibbies, Stromberbs, etc.. The fanciest LP type guitar ever is (I believe) an Ibanez Custom Agent, with an f5 mandolin headstock, a different ornate inlay where we normally see blocks, and an over-the-top MOP inlay on the face of the guitar. The pickguard is completely over the top. Love it. Will DEFINITELY play it anywhere.

And I love things like quilted tops, flamed koa, and off-the-wall woods. I have a PRS-type guitar with a burst over a quilted top that goes from a bright metallic yellow to an emerald green to a deep sea blue. Headstock has the same quilt, same burst!

Flat black guitars? Kindling. Now THAT would be deal breaker.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 18, 2014,
Vibratos in any shape or form, EMGs, thick necks, super overblown pricing, being from a company that treats their employees like dirt. (So basically a Gibson in 3 respects lol.)
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Guitars? The neck. It's all about feel. I don't care how awesome it sounds, or how comfortable its contours are if it feels like crap to play.

For amps, it's not like one little thing. Basically, does the amp do what I want and cost within my price range? Yes? Sold.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well, the first thing I always look for is how it sounds. If it sounds like garbage, I put it in the garbage.

Other than that, I really value all the parts of a guitar. But asides from sound, I guess action/neck feel is my next priority.
With guitars it's all about the neck. With a few upgrades I can make any guitar sound good but the neck, well that's a different story. With my arthritis I can't abide by thick necks, if the profile isn't comfortable it's of no use to me.

With amps, build quality is where it is for me primarily. If it can't stand up to the rigors of gigging wtf use is it? Looking at you Behringer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure what a non-resettable acoustic neck joint is; I've got a '67 Martin D35 that requires a voodoo priestess to reset, but it CAN be reset. I don't like poor string-to-string balance, but that's certainly fixable without a lot of pain. So is mud. I've got guitars that would probably be considered "inappropriate" ( a skull and crossbones graphic on a black bass in church?), but I can get away with anything. I just call it "ironic" and laugh it off. I *love* excessive bling, especially when it comes to the old really expensive (for their day) archtop Epiphones, Gibbies, Stromberbs, etc.. The fanciest LP type guitar ever is (I believe) an Ibanez Custom Agent, with an f5 mandolin headstock, a different ornate inlay where we normally see blocks, and an over-the-top MOP inlay on the face of the guitar. The pickguard is completely over the top. Love it. Will DEFINITELY play it anywhere.

And I love things like quilted tops, flamed koa, and off-the-wall woods. I have a PRS-type guitar with a burst over a quilted top that goes from a bright metallic yellow to an emerald green to a deep sea blue. Headstock has the same quilt, same burst!

Flat black guitars? Kindling. Now THAT would be deal breaker.

Sure, your D35 has a resettable neck, cost about $700. I'm happy with that, even happier with bolt-ons like Taylor, Collings and my Bourgeois, whose reset cost is a fraction of that. The ones I won't have a bar of are the ones I suspect of having an epoxied joint, eg Tak, that very few, if any repairers would tackle even if it was cost-effective. For anyone interested recording King, Blueridge and Eastman apparently have resettable neck joints.

As you say, most pickups can be fixed for string to string balance, but fiber-endplate vintage type SCs can't - plastic bobbin SCs can, I do it routinely. It is also a lot of work on humbuckers that don't have screw poles.

Some bling is OK with me too - that Ib is so outrageous it's good - but not Martin style or modern fancy solidbody electrics.
I love Les Pauls and Strats but I'm a bit of an emotional strummer sometimes so I try to avoid guitars with a pup selector on the upper corner (like a LP) and guitars with a knob crowding the strings (like a strat). Sure it can be an easy fix with some modding but luckily, I've been able to find alternatives, like a Fender Mustang (strat jr?) and an old double cut lp special copy to get similar tones and looks.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If you can't set up a pickup how you like it, replace it. I don't see how that's a deal breaker for the guitar - it's just a pickup. Hardly any of my guitars have the original pickups in them. Well, actually only one and it was custom built to my specs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you can't set up a pickup how you like it, replace it. I don't see how that's a deal breaker for the guitar - it's just a pickup. Hardly any of my guitars have the original pickups in them. Well, actually only one and it was custom built to my specs.

This may be so. But the reason I don't like EMGs is because in order to put passives in it that usually requires surgery (bridge ground wire route/tunnel). That's why it's a deal breaker to me.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Guitars:

21 frets

Thick necks! I see all these beautiful LPs and SGs and then I play them and my awe turns to disgust

Abalone binding (Ugly Deluxe LTDs. I'll take a 400 series any day of the week)

For amps

Fizzy distortion, mud, and honky mids turn me off. I think I'm actually more picky with amps than I am with guitars. I'd rather have a mediocre guitar than amp.
Dislikes: bright stained gaudy 10 top PRS's and other brands with gaudy tops on others two, the wood just looks tacky to me. i would prefer it in black or white or grey or burgundy. a plain top LP though is another story, they are the sex especially in tobacco burst.

also i don't like having SC's and humbuckers on the same guitar.

i have three teles and a strat and an odd peavey that do the SC tone.
if i want buckers there are around 12 guitars for that
also thre more including the Prestige Ibbys with a SC in the middle but it lays lower, it doesn't bother me as much as some. but i would prefer HH.

i also don't like gold hardware unless its on a Black or White LP custom or such.

other than that, all goes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard

True, it a deal breaker on pickups, rather than the guitar itself. I tend to think of the wood, the pickups and the amp as mix and match. - Out of six electrics, only one has the original pickups, a LP Special with P100. Though seeing, say, an Am Std strat with vintage stagger custom shop pickups puts me off wanting to buy it, especially here in Oz where the price is silly.
Quote by Cathbard
With amps, build quality is where it is for me primarily. If it can't stand up to the rigors of gigging wtf use is it? Looking at you Behringer.

Understatement. I wouldn't trust a behringer as a bookshelf let alone a gigging amp

Deal breakers for me: floating trems (I only want it for bending down, not making me sound out of tune when palm muting), picks less than 1mm thick, shitty cables (like when they have zero strain relief at the ends. Couldn't care less about all the tone suck bs but I need to be able to accidentally walk too far from my amp without it ripping apart.)

And strings that rust after a few days. Elixir all the way. fk the h8rs. Although have been using GHS boomers lately, they have been nice.

Cool thread.
Don't even try to buy pickups here. Just jump onto ebay and buy 'em direct from the US or UK or wherever. It's not our fault that commercial property values are over inflated to hell and push up the price of everything and quite frankly, I don't give a damn. You'll pay half the price online.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not being HSS. Funny enough, my guitar is an HSH, but I squeezed a single coil into the neck position. HSHS would be fun, there's enough room.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
My first guitar was SSSH. It started as a strat configuration. I put a hb in the neck first. Then I routed out a little bit of the body (chiseled actually, I didn't have to remove much) and put another s/c at the bridge. RW/RP and switched so I could run them as a hb, in either parallel, series, or just the original on it's own. Both had the original strat angling. Mounted the same way as Robbie Robertson - that's where I got the idea.
The hb in the neck can be run series/parallel/split as well. Crazy versatile, but covered with switches.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For me it has to be:
thick necks. hate them feelz
black guitars with rosewood necks.... just looks horrible to me. Why not ebony or maple?!?!?
Middle pick ups. they just get in the way
Crazy shapes. I dont mind explorers or Vs but anything more than that is not my thing.

Amps:
single channels.... Yes i own a JCM800 2203 but I need more versatility from an amp when playing live.
and obviously quality. No Bugera stage heaters for me!
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Cath, that sounds like it would be fun to play around with, but I'd probably just confuse myself.

loki, mid+neck single coil pups are just awesome for clean... oh wait sorry, I just read your siggy
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Neck. It's got to feel great or I'm not buying it.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
For me it's a bunch of things. Price has a factor, availability and features may have a factor as well depending on the situation I'm in.

Really though I don't have an instant deal breaker. Maybe neck profile, but that's about it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A lack of resonance when unplugged.
A neck that's the wrong shape, too thick/thin
Uber extreme figured tops are overrated imo
Not having a humbucker in the bridge
Abalone binding
21 frets
Cheap Floyd Rose
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
The neck. Everything else is replaceable, for the most part.

HOWEVER - if the guitar sounds like crap when stock, and it's over $1500, I'm not keeping it. Point in case:

The Blackmachine B2 I had. AMAZING neck, shitty sound (and it had BKP Nailbombs...).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by tas38
loki, mid+neck single coil pups are just awesome for clean... oh wait sorry, I just read your siggy

I agree! I have a couple of strats that mess around with and the mid and neck "quack" that you get from them is really nice.

I use a lot of cleans in my music, and have I spent ages hunting for an amazing clean humbucker. The best i have found so far is the SD Sentient that i have in my 7&8 strings. All the warmth of the 59 and the fluidity of the Jazz.

I meant it for HSH guitars, i would never use it and as i hate pickguards as well you cant adjust the hight as much.

But they have their uses
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
I've grown to prefer thick necks, and with a glossy finish. Usually has to be a maple fretboard too, I don't think I'll ever get another guitar with rosewood. Obviously the feel of the neck is the most crucial part of a guitar, outside of the sound.

The ability to stay in tune is a must. If a guitar can't stay in tune but feels amazing and sounds fantastic I'll still pass. Some tuning machines/bridges are just baaaaaaad
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Guitar-wise, thick necks are pretty much a deal breaker. Necks MUST feel right or the instrument is simply no fun to play. I can swap parts around & make any guitar with a decent neck sound good. Some just have a superb feel to them, though.

Amp-wise, I want an amp that needs no pedals for distortion. I want to plug in & play. I have a couple elaborate rigs that require rack gear & pedals (& sound remarkable), but for gigs I want a guitar, cable, & amp, & the amp distortion must KILL. That's why I'm a Soldano fanboy .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011