Just to clarify: the value of the tone pot cap WILL influence the sound of the guitar even if the tone pot is at 10, right? Higher value = less highs?
Really? I thought it did. When your tone pot is at 10, you still have your pickup connected to the ground via the full pot resistance (which is 250K in my case) in series with your cap, right? But I guess with 250K not much current bleeds through...
Try it for yourself, but I just don't think it's significant/audible. Like you say, there's very little current. The pot and cap are still in the circuit, and taking them out completely (no-load pots, for example) will get you a small bump in treble, but just the cap value? Doubt there's anything there.
Will there be more output if you bypass a tone pot? Technically yes. Will you ever be able to notice without computers? Nah.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
at 10? negligible. less than 10 then it matters.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Honestly I put in a 0.1 microF instead of the 0.022 and I swear it makes a difference. Kind of... dull.
again, not really on 10. the material of capacitor may have a very minute effect on tone. value is probably bigger. i went from a 0.22 to a 0.1 and it greatly altered the taper and tone of the pot when rolling off. even at 0, the guitar is still "playably bright" no mudd. when popping out my out of phase switch and that enabled, my guitar sounds like a half cocked wah.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I guess it's subjective, I do feel like I hear the difference even with the pot at 10. Thinking of putting one at 0.022 and one at 0.047 and a switch to switch between them...
Do you have access to a decent recording setup? By which I mean something better than the mic on your webcam? If so record them then play them back. I'm sure a lot of guys here would be interested in hearing the differences if you put it all in a youtube video or something.