I've seen a guy do it by loosenings the strings and removing the neck. Which sounds extreme to me but maybe it's not a big deal, I've just never done it. Is there another way? I'd like to experiment with the electronics on my strat a little bit, like trying out this mod for example, but I don't want to change the strings every time...
You could loosen the strings and loosen the neck without taking it completely off, no big deal. But generally it's just easier to remove the strings.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I've done it before, but ultimately new strings are cheap and it makes the job SO much easier.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
If you set your strings to flop mode, you can just take off the neck with the strings attached.

Well, assuming your guitar does have a bolt-on neck...
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 18, 2014,
Quote by the_bi99man
You can take your strings off without cutting them and having to replace them...

That is an awful idea. It's an even bigger pain in the ass to get them off in such a way that you wouldn't cut then and then put them back on again. Not impossible, but one will have a hell of a time trying. Much easier and quicker just to change the strings.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by JustRooster
I've done it before, but ultimately new strings are cheap and it makes the job SO much easier.

+1. I bought a few bulk packs of strings during a holiday sale years ago so I don’t have to think about stuff like this.
i changed pickups in a strat with the strings on. a little awkward. next time i would cut them.

but i sold that one at least five years ago.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Doesn't removing all the strings make the neck shift because of the change of tension ?

I did it once and I had to re-setup my guitar, real pain in the ass. Since then I vowed to never have my guitar with 0 strings.
Quote by TheStig1214
That is an awful idea. It's an even bigger pain in the ass to get them off in such a way that you wouldn't cut then and then put them back on again. Not impossible, but one will have a hell of a time trying. Much easier and quicker just to change the strings.

Not true if they're put on correctly, without looping or otherwise tying knots at the tuners. I have exchanged almost 50 sets of strings in the past few months on my archtop and my Gretsch, and many were sets that I had on before. I was trying to determine which ones I liked best, and sometimes went back and forth several times in a day (beyond obsessive/compulsive, I know). I only had a single string break on me, and all had been cut to length. The one that broke was a wound string on a round core. It unraveled on me and snapped as I tried to bring it up to pitch anyway.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by alans056
Doesn't removing all the strings make the neck shift because of the change of tension ?

I did it once and I had to re-setup my guitar, real pain in the ass. Since then I vowed to never have my guitar with 0 strings.

I don't think so, I took all if mine off yesterday to install a pickup and the neck was fine afterwards... Might depend on the neck. Or I got lucky! :-D

I'd like to avoid wasting the strings, they're brand new NYXL and they're pricy. But I don't think I 'm going to like that 0.1 microF cap on the tone pot. I swear it does take the highs out of the tone. Not good. Sounds a lot duller than the regular 0.022...
Quote by the_bi99man
You can take your strings off without cutting them and having to replace them...

How do you do it though? Sounds like it'd be quite hard to out them back on.
Quote by OliveG
How do you do it though? Sounds like it'd be quite hard to out them back on.

Just do the exact opposite of the process of putting them on. Loosen the tuners until the tension is gone and unwrap the strings off the tuners. Putting them back on, without extra string to hold on to on the tuner end, is a little bit more of a pain than putting them on for the first time, before cutting, but not too bad. And if you're going to be tinkering under the pickguard a lot, it'll save you the money of buying dozens of sets of strings. Plus I just feel like it would be a terrible waste to just cut and throw away strings that might have only been played for a few minutes.

And locking tuners actually make that whole process a non-issue.

Another thought: If you are going to be doing a lot of tinkering under the pickguard, testing things out or whatever, maybe consider just putting on a fresh set of strings, then don't cut off the extra string hanging off the tuning machines. Leave it there, making it much easier to remove the strings and put them back on, until you've got the innards set up the way you want, and are done tinkering.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Sep 20, 2014,
Quote by alans056

Some people claim that it does, but I don't think so. If you leave it sitting with no strings for an extended period of time, it absolutely will make the neck shift, so never do that. But if it's just for the couple minutes it takes to change your strings, that shouldn't make your neck shift. I've had my Schecter Hellraiser with a Floyd Rose for 8 years, and have taken all the strings off every single time I restring it. I take that opportunity with the strings out of the way to clean and moisturize the fretboard. It's never been out of adjustment after putting new strings back on a few minutes later, unless I change gauges or tuning, but that'll happen no matter how you restring. I've only even touched my truss rod and trem springs like three times in 8 years, only after changing string gauges.
Quote by the_bi99man
Some people claim that it does, but I don't think so. If you leave it sitting with no strings for an extended period of time, it absolutely will make the neck shift, so never do that. But if it's just for the couple minutes it takes to change your strings, that shouldn't make your neck shift. I've had my Schecter Hellraiser with a Floyd Rose for 8 years, and have taken all the strings off every single time I restring it. I take that opportunity with the strings out of the way to clean and moisturize the fretboard. It's never been out of adjustment after putting new strings back on a few minutes later, unless I change gauges or tuning, but that'll happen no matter how you restring. I've only even touched my truss rod and trem springs like three times in 8 years, only after changing string gauges.

I left my Tele hanging in the garage with no strings or neck on for over a month while i painted it,Neck was fine when i put it back on and restrung it.
This thread has shifted from the OP's question, so back to that... You can remove a strat pickguard without removing the strings IF it is a 21 fret neck. Just loosen the strings, and tape the body on the side you're pulling it out so you don't scratch the finish. The fretboard overhangs the pickguard on 22 fret boards, and I've never been able to do it without removing the strings. Sometimes instead of removing and restringing I find it's easier to remove the neck.

As far as taking all the strings off at the same time. No, it doesn't hurt it. Doesn't matter if they are left off for a few minutes, a few hours, or a few years. Yes, things might shift due to the reduced tension, but all will be fine when you put everything back together. You might have to tweak the truss rod to set your relief, but that's why you have an adjustable truss rod.

http://www.treeguitarworks.com/
Thanks stormin. Yes, it's a 21 fret neck. I was suspecting this was possible but I hesitated to try before someone mentioned it was. I guess I'll be doing that soon, like next week-end, I've ordered a few new caps to try...
I had a store change pickups in my American Standard Strat a few years back, and it came back with the same strings it had on before. Not sure how they did that. In retrospect I think the neck has to have been removed to make that possible, but I then ask myself how incredibly careful you wouldn't have to be to not put a bend in the strings.

I'm one of those guitarists who are very opposed to going in with a soldering iron without having sufficient knowledge and experience. I'd rather pay someone to do it well.

Quote by Tony Done
I have one guitar with Gotoh self-locking tuners, and it is a pain removing the strings from them, so I just loosen them and take the neck off with the strings still attached. Otherwise I just take the strings off the headstock.

Those Gotoh Locking Tuners are the single worst design idea ever. They came stock on my ESP Eclipse and I hate them with passion. Makes every string frustrating - I thought locking tuners should have the opposite effect? You basically have to use a screwdriver to loosen the strings, and I don't know how many times I've slipped.

They're worse than a Floyd Rose.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
I had a store change pickups in my American Standard Strat a few years back, and it came back with the same strings it had on before. Not sure how they did that. In retrospect I think the neck has to have been removed to make that possible, but I then ask myself how incredibly careful you wouldn't have to be to not put a bend in the strings.

I'm one of those guitarists who are very opposed to going in with a soldering iron without having sufficient knowledge and experience. I'd rather pay someone to do it well.

Those Gotoh Locking Tuners are the single worst design idea ever. They came stock on my ESP Eclipse and I hate them with passion. Makes every string frustrating - I thought locking tuners should have the opposite effect? You basically have to use a screwdriver to loosen the strings, and I don't know how many times I've slipped.

They're worse than a Floyd Rose.

i had two sperzel locking tuners fail within the first month. and i know how to do it right as far as installing a guitar i had probably did it 10 times on different guitars over time. i took those off and threw a set of either grovers or gotoh (neither locking) on and it was much better.

IMO i don't see a huge purpose in locking tuners if the guitar is set up properly provided you don't beat on a trem (fender style bridge.

nor do i see a point in having locking tuners with a locking nut.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/