Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. I'm turning 21 this november, and since I've been working real hard and making money I'd like to buy some video editing software and maybe a nice condenser mic so I can enter the world of video recording. I want to make videos of myself playing to watch my technique and hear my flaws to improve, and who knows, I might just start my own youtube channel. Even if it's only covers at first. This really is quite an exciting concept to me...

So far, I have a nice video camera that is fairly new. I plan on picking up a nice tripod though, so that I can get the perfect angle when filming. Where I'm lost though, is that I don't know what kind of video editing software I should buy...

Maybe some info regarding what I would like to achieve might help you guys offer some suggestions. I want to have the option of splitting the screen in half for certain songs where there are nice duel harmonies so that on the left side you see me playing the first harmony and on the right side you see me playing the second. I realize I will have to film those parts separate and then put it all together in the end, but as long as I have purchased something remotely user friendly I should be able to figure it out, right?

I would also like the feature of the video just returning to one of me on the screen on parts where the current guitar riff is being played by both guitarists. Like in the intro, for example, or after a solo where the two guitarists end up playing the same riff towards the end of the song. I know it might sound confusing what I'm trying to get at, but if need be I will try to explain further what i mean. Just let me know.

I already have audacity, so I can add the backing track or the actual song with the volume greatly lowered after I record a few takes and decide on the one(s) I'm gonna use for the final product.

Any recommendations wouldn't hurt either, but i don't wanna go over $100 dollar on a mic if I don't have to. The sound quality on my camera (like most others) is shit.

I REALLY want my videos to be of quality, which is why I see to be stressing all of these details. As stated above, I am a noob but I am determined to try my best.

Please offer some suggestions and drop some knowledge on me.
Thank you!
Most popular mic for guitar recording is a Shure SM57, roughly £80 (about $130) as for video editing software, if you can afford it, Adobe Premiere Pro, it'll take a while to adjust to it but it'll do pretty much whatever you want it to and is used by small film companies so it's not junk, but remember, it won't enhance the picture quality much, that's mostly down to your camera, if the camera's good quality, your footage will be
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Quote by DeathShredder23
i don't wanna go over $100 dollar on a mic if I don't have to.

Quote by DeathShredder23
I REALLY want my videos to be of quality

Be advised that $100 is very little money for a mic.
Quote by DeathShredder23
which is why I see to be stressing all of these details
You missed a detail - what in the world would you be recording?

'cause if it's you singing and playing guitar and you wanna do everything in one take and then edit the whole thing later you'll need a couple mic's.
Or a mic and a guitar with a pickup.

If it's you playing electric guitar you might as well go with amp sims since you're on the cheap.

Does your camera have a mic input?
If you're using one mic only you can use that to record the audio, but then it will be a bit of a pain in the ass to edit that, and probably the quality will not be high.

If you want more flexibility and better sound quality, you'll need an audio interface.
Read the interfaces sticky for more info.

As for the video editor I'm guessing even windows movie maker and imovie can do what you described, and if that's not the case look into PowerDirector which is relatively easy to use imo.

Then you'll need a way to work with your audio.
Audacity isn't good enough to do serious stuff, so you'll need a DAW.
No DAW is plain better than the other ones (apart from pro tools which sucks as a software), though they're different, so it's mostly a matter of preference and you should download the free trial of everything and then decide what you like best.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

Be advised that $100 is very little money for a mic.
You missed a detail - what in the world would you be recording?

'cause if it's you singing and playing guitar and you wanna do everything in one take and then edit the whole thing later you'll need a couple mic's.
Or a mic and a guitar with a pickup.

If it's you playing electric guitar you might as well go with amp sims since you're on the cheap.

Does your camera have a mic input?
If you're using one mic only you can use that to record the audio, but then it will be a bit of a pain in the ass to edit that, and probably the quality will not be high.

If you want more flexibility and better sound quality, you'll need an audio interface.
Read the interfaces sticky for more info.

As for the video editor I'm guessing even windows movie maker and imovie can do what you described, and if that's not the case look into PowerDirector which is relatively easy to use imo.

Then you'll need a way to work with your audio.
Audacity isn't good enough to do serious stuff, so you'll need a DAW.
No DAW is plain better than the other ones (apart from pro tools which sucks as a software), though they're different, so it's mostly a matter of preference and you should download the free trial of everything and then decide what you like best.

What is DAW? Also, no singing. I just play on recording straight up guitar. Why do you recommend an audio interface over a good external mic? Just curious. Is the quality better, or is it easier to use?
DAW is Digital Audio Workstation, like Logic Pro, or a beefed up version of Audacity, typical recording situations with DAWs go Sound source > Mic > Interface (typically mixing desk via PC firewire or USB) > DAW, you need an interface to be able to record with an external condenser of dynamic mic
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Quote by DeathShredder23
I just play on recording straight up guitar.
Like, a classical guitar with no pickup or an electric guitar?
Be specific about what the guitar is and how it can output sound.
Quote by DeathShredder23
Why do you recommend an audio interface over a good external mic? Just curious. Is the quality better, or is it easier to use?
To connect a mic to a computer you use an audio interface - it's the way to do it and you can't do it otherwise.

Your sound card is an audio interface but its quality isn't good.
Nothing personal, stock computer sound cards are never good.

You may connect the mic to the camera if it has a mic input, but again, the quality will not be much good and if you wanna work with the audio (modify it, cut it, paste it on something else, apply fx on it...) it will be a bit of a pain in the ass having to separate the audio from the video every time.

With an audio interface on the other hand you record the video and the audio separately, then maybe you record other video and other audio, and then you edit the things separately to put them together afterwards.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Unless you have a good amplifier that you absolutely like the sound of and you wanna spend some hours practicing mic placement and mixing I suggest you looking into an audio interface and amp sims.

Then if you absolutely want to record your amp, get an SM57 and up to you to get an interface or not.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Unless you have a good amplifier that you absolutely like the sound of and you wanna spend some hours practicing mic placement and mixing I suggest you looking into an audio interface and amp sims.

Then if you absolutely want to record your amp, get an SM57 and up to you to get an interface or not.

What interface would you recommend and what amp simulators would you recommend?
I'm looking for rock and metal tones, with nice cleans as well.

Off topic but, you live in Italy, Luca? But you're a redhead? Strange.
I myself am of 100% italian descent but live in New England. Most guineas have darker features, although lighter ones are still possible.
Just to see if you like the whole concept and you can make it sound good and so on, I suggest you getting an unbranded guitar link.
It'll not sound stellar but it'll give you a good idea of how to use a DAW and amp sims and it's dirt cheap.
Also for the use you're gonna make of it it's not gonna sound that bad.

Then if you decide you wanna make the thing sound clearer and less noisey, you want to record mic's or you want to record a couple things at the same time (recording them on separate tracks for them to be edited separately) I suggest you looking into the mackie onyx blackbird or the roland duo capture ex.

As for your curiosity, my user title is mostly because of my avatar - my hair's pretty brown.
I have a bit of red in both my hair and my beard (in the latter mostly), though it's not much.
My mother on the other hand does have red hair.
Also a couple friends of mine.

It's not common here, but it's not at all like a white fly.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by DeathShredder23
What interface would you recommend and what amp simulators would you recommend?
I'm looking for rock and metal tones, with nice cleans as well.

We have an interface sticky, which is:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1541771
It's not 100% up to date, but read it. You need to understand what an interface is, how it does its job, and get some good quality recs.

I do 2nd Luca on getting a GuitarLink though. It's like $10 on eBay, so you're not spending much. Once you get used to that, you can purchase something better.

We also have an Amp & Cab sims stick, which is:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593
Same deal as before, learn how these work, what they do, and get some good quality recs.
I will recommend, for rock and metal (and good cleans), that you check out LePou's stuff, which is free. I find those amp sims are better than many paid amp sims, honestly.

Anyway, hope that all helps, and welcome to the world of home recording!
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 20, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
We have an interface sticky, which is:
It's not 100% up to date, but read it. You need to understand what an interface is, how it does its job, and get some good quality recs.

I do 2nd Luca on getting a GuitarLink though. It's like $10 on eBay, so you're not spending much. Once you get used to that, you can purchase something better.

We also have an Amp & Cab sims stick, which is:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593
Same deal as before, learn how these work, what they do, and get some good quality recs.
I will recommend, for rock and metal (and good cleans), that you check out LePou's stuff, which is free. I find those amp sims are better than many paid amp sims, honestly.

Anyway, hope that all helps, and welcome to the world of home recording!

Thanks dude! Can you send me a link to LePou's stuff?
Free software that he has put out for other guitarists?
Quote by DeathShredder23
Thanks dude! Can you send me a link to LePou's stuff?
Free software that he has put out for other guitarists?

It's all on his blogspot, which is here:
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

On the right side, scroll down a bit to see the downloads. There's also links for stuff from some other Freeware devs, which is cool.

I would recommend, btw, since you are new to amp sims (and recording) that you start with keFIR. (Download LeCab from LePou, for later, if you want.) It's a lot easier to understand than LeCab. Once you get used to that, you can move onto LeCab.
keFIR:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Plugins/keFIR.shtml
I was thinking... Should I just get an eleven rack instead? Wouldn't that make it easier to record straight into my laptop? It comes with pro tools, but again, being a noob, I have never used this stuff...
I'm not sure I'd spend $1300 on something like that, especially as a Recording noob. I mean, for all you know, you might hate how Pro Tools works. And you might hate how the Eleven Rack works. But, at $1300, you're a bit more committed than if you bought a GuitarLink ($10 on eBay) and Reaper ($60 license).
Eleven Rack is going for about 700 at sweetwater.com

It sounds great, that's all I'm saying.

How easy would it be able to record with it?

I just want the easiest recording experience for my videos, with the absolute least amount of frustration...
Making stuff sound good will be just about as difficult, and recording stuff will be a bit easier.

I would say you shouldn't really invest that much money in something unless you're sure you're gonna make it worth the money, and since you really sound like you don't know that I'd rather start with something cheap if I was you.

Also amp sims aren't gonna sound any worse than the 11R, if that was a concern.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I have yet to hear good metal and rock tones out of Sims, so do yourself a favor and get a tube amp and mic.
Depends what metal, but Tiny Terror combo should cover most rock needs and some metal. Might need boost for maximum saturation. Laney lc15 combo is the same way + fx loop. Laney vc15 will do it all. Marshall DSL line will do it all with a smile.
If you think you might sing at some point get a Sennheiser e835 mic instead, but 57 is fine, as well as some other guitar mics, such as Audix i5, Heil, Sent e609, etc.
I have a peavey 6505+ head with a marshall cab 4x12.

I like the tone I get out of it. I don't even use the lead channel, because it sounds so thin and shrill. I just use a good OD stompbox to beef up the lows and tighten the highs and that's both my rhythm and lead tone. I need a new amp for cleans though, (maybe an orange dual terror?) because the rhythm channel on the peavey covers both OD and clean sounds...
If you're looking at the 11 check Boss GT-100 or GT-10 used. They have USB audio interface that can record direct, so do the majority of new Zoom pedals. You should be able to shave off about $500 there and all you do is install USB interface of the processor onto the PC. Forgot to mention Vox, they also carry USB now, and sound much more natural than Zoom.
Quote by DeathShredder23
I have a peavey 6505+ head with a marshall cab 4x12.

I like the tone I get out of it. I don't even use the lead channel, because it sounds so thin and shrill. I just use a good OD stompbox to beef up the lows and tighten the highs and that's both my rhythm and lead tone. I need a new amp for cleans though, (maybe an orange dual terror?) because the rhythm channel on the peavey covers both OD and clean sounds...

Just for cleans you can't beat Fender tube. Laney is pretty sweet too, but if you like your current sound, which I think will sound better than any processors, grab a USB interface and mic. Clean you can record direct and use a Sim if needed, or even do guitar just clean with chorus and verb through the interface and DAW.

Just for clean this head is great:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Marshall_Class5/Marshall_Class5.htm

Or this head on budget:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Kustom_defender/Kustom%20Defender15H_KustomDefenderGuitarSpeakerCabinet.htm
Last edited by diabolical at Sep 24, 2014,
@Crazysam. Btw man, I checked out some of those free links you provided here. Thank you, I plan on downloading them real soon. But before I do, I need to buy an audio interface right? Otherwise I won't be able to use them? What else will I need to buy to get started?\

I am confused... If I buy an interface, will that be enough to start recording with some of these free programs? Or will I still need a mic? Or is that just for record with a tube amp?...

Anybody have skype? Maybe some time when one of you are free we can chat...
Quote by diabolical
I have yet to hear good metal and rock tones out of Sims, so do yourself a favor and get a tube amp and mic.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Spambot_2/music/play1271345
YT vid
Other YT vid
Another YT vid
To the bigger ones
Last YT vid
Quote by DeathShredder23
I am confused... If I buy an interface, will that be enough to start recording with some of these free programs?
Yeah, sure.
Well you need a DAW still, though reaper's free trial lasts forever, and reaper's good.
Quote by DeathShredder23
Or will I still need a mic? Or is that just for record with a tube amp?...
You would only need a mic to record stuff that comes out of a guitar cab.

Or an acoustic guitar, or a mouth, or a violin or whatever...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
And what would you define "overprocessed" in every video that was posted specifically?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
And what would you define "overprocessed" in every video that was posted specifically?

Honestly I don't have much time to see all, so the first one that popped up was some djent tune with guitars and drums going in unison, where you used Lepou and another sim. By overprocessed I meant no dynamics whatsoever in the guitar sound, which I guess is OK for djent...it just has no life.
While I would hardly define that first clip djent, as you said you may not like that tone, but it works good for that genre.
Quote by diabolical
so do yourself a favor
and have a listen to the other stuff before saying you yet have to hear a good rock or metal tone coming out of an amp sim.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Hello.
I was thinking... Should I just get an eleven rack instead? Wouldn't that make it easier to record straight into my laptop?
It comes with pro tools, but again, being a noob, I have never used this stuff...
Quote by phanhan
Hello.
I was thinking... Should I just get an eleven rack instead? Wouldn't that make it easier to record straight into my laptop?
It comes with pro tools, but again, being a noob, I have never used this stuff...

No. Don't bother with an Eleven Rack. Read the Interface Sticky:

Quote by DeathShredder23
@Crazysam. Btw man, I checked out some of those free links you provided here. Thank you, I plan on downloading them real soon. But before I do, I need to buy an audio interface right? Otherwise I won't be able to use them? What else will I need to buy to get started?

I am confused... If I buy an interface, will that be enough to start recording with some of these free programs? Or will I still need a mic? Or is that just for record with a tube amp?...

Anybody have skype? Maybe some time when one of you are free we can chat...

If you use an amp sim, it simulates an amp in your DAW. You simply plug your guitar in, turn on the DAW, and play the track you put the amp sim on.

Mic'ing an amp is for mic'ing a physical amp.

Sidenote: A DAW is not free. So, you will need to pay for a DAW. Reaper is the cheapest, at $60.

Oh, and ignore Diabolical. If he thinks you can't get good sounds out of amp sims, he's not using his fucking ears.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 27, 2014,
When it comes to recording guitar covers though, what about the track that you play over?

For example, most people play with the original song over their guitar. This makes sense, so they don't have to have their earbuds on during the video, and so that they have the original full song to play over to help keep time and stay on track accurately...

The whole time though, (if you've mic'ed the amp) the mic will be recording both your guitar coming from the amp, AND wherever the sound from the full song is coming from...

How in the world do you make this work so that you guitar sound comes out sounding louder then the track you're playing over?!!?

This is what is confusing the shit outta me... Should I get an ipod dock and use THAT to play the song out loud while I play over it with my guitar? How do you guys recommend I go about doing this?
Quote by DeathShredder23
The whole time though, (if you've mic'ed the amp) the mic will be recording both your guitar coming from the amp, AND wherever the sound from the full song is coming from...
They though don't record amps most of the times, and when they do they usually use headphones.
Quote by DeathShredder23
How in the world do you make this work so that you guitar sound comes out sounding louder then the track you're playing over?!!?
Mics you put in front of guitar cabs usually have a pickup pattern that makes them pick up the sounds in front of the mic and not them behind, they have fairly little sensitivity and they don't have much gain.

As a result what comes out of the guitar speaker is a certain level through the mic, and the backing truck is at a muuuuuuuuch lower level.
Quote by DeathShredder23
How do you guys recommend I go about doing this?
Use a pair of headphones if you want to record your amp while listening to stuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The way I do it is pop the song in my recording program, then play that back. At the same time I either have the guitar miked or direct in a new channel. I play my part which gets recorded. The mic picks up maybe negligible bleed from monitors, if recording direct there's no bleed.
The camera records throwaway sound that is used to only sync up with the quality recording from the DAW.
So If I have the song that I'm covering in the background, I should just make the volume on the mic'ed amp louder than the speakers playing the song...

That's what you guys are suggesting?
Elevenrack is actually pretty good and they go dirt cheap on ebay.

But still, you have more options if you just get an interface.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by DeathShredder23
So If I have the song that I'm covering in the background, I should just make the volume on the mic'ed amp louder than the speakers playing the song...

Pretty much, but you might want to have the back, ie blind spot of the mic facing your monitors.
Quote by DeathShredder23

I'm suggesting using headphones.
That way you can also set the amp so that it sounds good after passing through the mic instead of sounding good in your room much more easily.

If you don't have a pair, what you described would work as well.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by diabolical
Pretty much, but you might want to have the back, ie blind spot of the mic facing your monitors.

Monitors?
Monitor speakers.

It's a "cool" way of referring to speakers designed for mixing, 'cause they should show you what the mix is like, hence monitoring.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Page 1 of 2