I do want to be able to play like him!

I'm not a fingerstyle guy but this makes me want to start.
He explains in other videos that when he is at a gig he doesn't always follow an arrangement.... Sometimes he simply improvises his notes.... Etc

He's good! Alicia Keys, If I Ain't Got You - fingerstyle gui…: http://youtu.be/cB0MznrJojc
Cool. Fingerstyle is a great style to learn. That arrangement has a ton of Jazz influencing. Once you get into it, you realize it's just playing chords and a bassline along with a melody. That guy is also working a lot with his tone.
According to him...he doesn't play chords...just the closest next note or base line. Which might look like a chord.
Quote by ken styles
According to him...he doesn't play chords...just the closest next note or base line. Which might look like a chord.

Well, the melody usually includes chord notes, so if you're playing the melody under the root note, you'll be playing the chord.

That being said, learning to improvise in fingerstyle is like learning to improvise in any other technique. You build up your foundations by playing arrangements and getting them right, and then as you get comfortable with the basic techniques you practice improvising.

Mark Hansen's books ("The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking" and "The Art of Solo Fingerstyle") are a great place to start to build up your technique.

One thing: I see a lot of poeple, learning to improvise, who skip over actually learning how to play things the "right" way. Obviously, at the end of the day, you can play something however you want to, but if you can't play it the way it's written in the arrangement, then you're not really making a choice. You're only making a choice if you CAN play it that way, but are choosing to play it differently.

Furthermore, the bigger your vocabulary in terms of the complexity of pieces you can play, the better you'll be when it comes to improvising. So while you want to have fun and keep yourself excited and engaged, it's really worth it to periodically go back to stuff you kind-of have right and really nail it. You'l find it improves your improvisation.