Page 1 of 2
I like this forum so here goes my first legit thread:
As a metalhead/punk/goth I always kinda hated metalcore as I usually thought of BOTDF and BVB (acronyms!!!!). These columns I'm posting though actually opened my eyes and Jesus I was sent to an entirely new world. In chronological order:

5 Reasons Deathcore Isn't Total Shxt
5 Reasons Deathcore IS Total Shxt
5 reasons Metalcore Isn't Total Shxt

Though I gotta say Dethcore is still slow to grow on me. My first experience being Emmure *shudders*. However I could tolerate some metalcore that I knew of (A7X (first 3 Albums, though CoE is more metal than core.) Crown The Empire (just learned about them and they're pretty good) and Killswitch Engage (CM Punk, my very first experience))

Anywho this is just asking what you think of the article lists above?
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
Last edited by eric_wearing at Sep 29, 2014,
I think the links don't work.

And honestly tired of talking about this subject on this board because none of the modern "metalcore" bands have anything to do with hardcore.

But from what I managed to find by searching the site shows that heavy blog indeed posted Metallic Hardcore stuff to point out why Metalcore is good and I can get behind that.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 19, 2014,
Come on now Sam, no need to be so grouchy.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Come on now Sam, no need to be so grouchy.

Actually I am with Sam on this one. The front page of this subforum already has 3 or 4 threads about "metalcore this metalcore that."

I'm not saying anything else because you can see what I have to say on the topic by reading one of the other 12 threads.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Yeah but beyond this forum no gives gaf about what we think metalcore is and don't know. It's important to the regs because we spend a lot of time here... or did... but not to pretty much anyone else.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yeah but beyond this forum no gives gaf about what we think metalcore is and don't know. It's important to the regs because we spend a lot of time here... or did... but not to pretty much anyone else.

I always figured the reason for the genre nazi nature of categorizing bands accurately was so to get rid of the bands the regs didn't like. This stuff only matters on websites and forums that are centered around categorizing bands and artists so as to make it easier to find similar music, like Metal-Archives or Last.fm. People outside of those places don't give a flying **** and you can easily clarify what bands you're talking about to someone way faster in person than on an internet forum like this.
Either way the whole thing makes me feel vaguely guilty for championing the metalcore stuff in the first place.

Originally it was a discussion point; not a "false no entry" test.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I always figured the reason for the genre nazi nature of categorizing bands accurately was so to get rid of the bands the regs didn't like. This stuff only matters on websites and forums that are centered around categorizing bands and artists so as to make it easier to find similar music, like Metal-Archives or Last.fm. People outside of those places don't give a flying **** and you can easily clarify what bands you're talking about to someone way faster in person than on an internet forum like this.

The thing is, I like some of the bands that are wrongly called "Metalocre". For me, it's not about "false no entry" or getting rid of bands I don't like; it's about proper classification.

If a band has hardcore influences, they fit in this forum. If not, they don't. Classification.

Sidenote: It has always bothered me that the UG Metal forum has been about "false no entry", but whatever.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
For me, it's not about "false no entry" or getting rid of bands I don't like

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Come back when you're ready to stop calling AX7 metalcore...

*ahem*

Doesn't matter how logical it may appear to you or any other regular, that doesn't stop it being a common misconception; common being the word.

It's like banning everyone from a pub who couldn't tell you the difference between a bitter and porter.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 20, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The thing is, I like some of the bands that are wrongly called "Metalocre". For me, it's not about "false no entry" or getting rid of bands I don't like; it's about proper classification.

If a band has hardcore influences, they fit in this forum. If not, they don't. Classification.

Sidenote: It has always bothered me that the UG Metal forum has been about "false no entry", but whatever.

Agreed. Chemfire is right too about you being silly. Though it is worth noting that A7X's first album was rather 'core' influenced. 'Sounding of the Seventh Trumpet' is still a solid metalcore album. 'Waking the Fallen' went the other direction though and it was kinda downhill after that.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by ChemicalFire
Doesn't matter how logical it may appear to you or any other regular, that doesn't stop it being a common misconception; common being the word.

It's like banning everyone from a pub who couldn't tell you the difference between a bitter and porter.

...That wasn't meant to be taken seriously. But yes, it does irritate me when people call AX7 and their ilk "Metalcore". And, no, in today's world of the internet, there isn't really an excuse to not be educated on matters like this. If you like heavy music, you should learn the proper basic classifications; no matter how common the misconception is.

Quote by DamienEx1021
Agreed. Chemfire is right too about you being silly. Though it is worth noting that A7X's first album was rather 'core' influenced. 'Sounding of the Seventh Trumpet' is still a solid metalcore album. 'Waking the Fallen' went the other direction though and it was kinda downhill after that.

True.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 20, 2014,
Not everyone on a forum is as big of a music nerd as we may be and saying "you're wrong about things go away", even if you DON'T mean it, is damaging to an already under-used forum.

Nought wrong with saying, well it's not really metalcore BUT hey let's have a conversation about it instead of acting like a douchenozzle. (If you read the article he mentioned you'd see it's about Converge, Botch, The Chariot etc so I really don't see the need for jumping down his neck)

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 20, 2014,
Does anyone remember when the Hardcore forum and the Metal forum were the same place? Those were simpler times.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

...No because that was never a thing...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
...No because that was never a thing...

It was back in 2003. I think they broke up it in 2004.

You have to remember, I had an old account that got lost, so actually I was on the site from 2002 to 2005, forgot about this site while in college, then came back last year. The mods know and have let it slide since I am honest about it and not a total douche.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by Leonid Vilkov
Lol your profile says PC Police

You just noticed?

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Sigh... if only we had a mod to sticky a thread saying "before you post about anything metalcore related, read this" where we explain what metalcore really is and that the other thing should be refered to something else

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by ChemicalFire
Not everyone on a forum is as big of a music nerd as we may be and saying "you're wrong about things go away", even if you DON'T mean it, is damaging to an already under-used forum.

You may be right. I apologize.

Nought wrong with saying, well it's not really metalcore BUT hey let's have a conversation about it instead of acting like a douchenozzle. (If you read the article he mentioned you'd see it's about Converge, Botch, The Chariot etc so I really don't see the need for jumping down his neck)

Yes, I did see that, which is why it annoyed me he thinks AX7 is metalcore. That's willful ignorance. Clearly, he's been introduced to metalcore, and I'm assuming he has ears.
Quote by DamienEx1021
Sigh... if only we had a mod to sticky a thread saying "before you post about anything metalcore related, read this" where we explain what metalcore really is and that the other thing should be refered to something else

We've got like 3 threads stickied in here about that. People, usually, don't read those unless they're the rules of the whole forum and start posting whatever they feel like. It's pretty normal for a person who likes bands like Killswitch, As I Lay Dying, Alesana, and what-have-you to come into the hardcore forum and think, "hey, these bands I like are always called metalCORE, post-HARDCORE, or screamo, so I should I talk about them here". It does't help that these bands had hardcore roots either.

A lot of bands didn't deserve to be here, E.G. Trivium, Shadows Fall, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, but they aren't in here anymore and the bands that are deserve to be in this forum. There's no need to come in a thread and be like, "That band you mentioned isn't metalcore gtfo." All you really should do is go with the flow, someone talks about bands like A7X and calls 'em metalcore? talk about that scene of musicians and the bands you like and dislike in it so as to have a conversation, maybe mention these old school metalcore bands to 'em as well. That gives a better impression on the person you're talking too and they're more likely to think you're a cool person and go check out those bands you recommended. Adapt to every conversation and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTnSEFsInp0
Quote by Dregen

Quote by eric_wearing
(A7X (first 3 Albums, though CoE is more metal than core.)

First album only. Second album has almost zero core elements and City of Evil is all metal.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Last edited by DamienEx1021 at Sep 22, 2014,
COE doesn't really sound like metal to me though :/ sorry to be THAT guy. just sounds like a heavy rock album with random "metal parts". Thats just my opinion though
Quote by -tempest-
COE doesn't really sound like metal to me though :/ sorry to be THAT guy. just sounds like a heavy rock album with random "metal parts". Thats just my opinion though

Interesting way of putting it. I am inclined to agree though. Personally I like the self titles out of all their newer stuff.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

I honestly haven't listened since i was like 12 or 13 lol. My favorite album was their first one though, if i had to pick.
Quote by DamienEx1021
First album only. Second album has almost zero core elements and City of Evil is all metal.

i know this

but the PTH thread is still here, correct?

Quote by -tempest-
I honestly haven't listened since i was like 12 or 13 lol. My favorite album was their first one though, if i had to pick.

their first 3 get me about the same, just depends on my mood

but pretty much everything they've done after that is garbage
Quote by eric_wearing
Though I gotta say Dethcore is still slow to grow on me. My first experience being Emmure *shudders*.

If you want to try and get into Deathcore, try Carnifex, they're one of the best bands of that genre out there (arguably). There's Revocation and old Suicide Silence, if you want, but it's all about personal preferences
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” Shakespeare - Macbeth
...Revocation...deathcore...as in this band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pcmzz8Bl2Y

No... just no.

As for Carnifex I do like them, they're a good example of very prototypical Deathcore. One of the better ones at what they do I do admit.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 22, 2014,
Quote by ChemicalFire
...Revocation...deathcore...as in this band?

Sorry if I offended, I can't tell whether a band is Deathcore, Death metal, etc. nowadays Either way, they're still a pretty good band to check out
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” Shakespeare - Macbeth
Yeah Revocation are great but their roots are most definitely more akin to Thrash, it's more obvious in their older records.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Wow a guy leaves for a week...well here's a few things:

1 A7x..not metalcore. Like I said first 2 albums. COE more metal and even then I only say that cos it was their goal tl be metal like their favorites. Like I said I'm pretty new so please excuse me for thinking the second album (seriously, forgive me).
2 I apologize for the links. I copy and pasted directly from the URL and I guess it was a bad idea...I'll post it correctly once I get to a pc.
3 Metalcore belonging in this forum...this isn't my forum so I'll take it elsewhere. Personally there's been too much backlash for mentioning the genre in metal and it's too different from punk for me to be comfortable saying it around them. I figured metalcore belongs here since it's closer to hardcore than metal. In any case where would one go to speak about metalcore?

Now that's outta the way, has anyone looked up the lists? I'm just wondering what you guys think about it
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
Last edited by eric_wearing at Sep 24, 2014,
I found the Metalcore and Deathcore ones. They included the Red Chord on the Deathcore list which makes me happy. They're not really Deathcore as most people know it now, a lot of people call them Deathgrind or something like that but they're truly awesome. Have you checked them out? One of the few bands that does really heavy and fast all the time without it getting boring in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z7ctqv0O54

As for Metalcore... it does belong here, though we have a cult of THAT'S NOT REALLY METALCORE THIS IS METALCORE going on, which I'm ashamed to say I in part started. Just ignore people like Sam who give you needless shit about it. The key thing is just to be aware of the context modern metalcore takes in the history of "Metalcore" as a whole and how the more modern the band the less likely it is to actually have any real hardcore elements in it. The stuff they posted on the Metalcore list is more along the lines of the "real" metallic hardcore style hardcore that a lot of the members harp on about constantly. It's well worth checking out.

We have this thread with more bands like that on it if you like the stuff in the list:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1598330

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 24, 2014,
Quote by ChemicalFire
As for Metalcore... it does belong here, though we have a cult of THAT'S NOT REALLY METALCORE THIS IS METALCORE going on, which I'm ashamed to say I in part started.

You were in fact responsible for starting it. I still remember the boot I got to the face when I first got here Took me a few weeks to figure out what you guys were talking about and then it finally clicked.

YOU CREATED ME YOU MONSTER!!!! DON'T TRY TO ABANDON ME NOW!!!

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

I also realised how petty it was. If the forums was more active people with similar music tastes could group up and it wouldn't matter, as it is there is only one group and it's stupid to push away new members with some self righteous genre comments.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
good metalcore:

every time i die
botch
converge
cave in
rorschach

hmu
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Sep 24, 2014,
Page 1 of 2