Hey. I took my guitar to the music store near where I live to ask them some questions, and the clerk there said the strings are too close to the fret board. I want to try and elevate the nut in in an attempt to fix this, however I don't have enough experience from Tech Class in order to keep from screwing up the guitar. Do you have any tips on fixing this, other than returning the guitar? Should I wait until I have more experience with and knowledge about guitars before I attempt to fix? Thanks a bunch.
Just out of curiosity, my guitar is actually Acoustic. Can we tell me what would classify this for Electric Guitar forum?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just confused. Not to mention, I'm new to the guitar so there are things I'm still learning. That's the other reason I'm curious.
Last edited by ianhulett at Sep 19, 2014,
No one here plays guitar. But if you have a macbook question you are more than welcome to ask.
Quote by ianhulett
Just out of curiosity, my guitar is actually Acoustic. Can we tell me what would classify this for Electric Guitar forum?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just confused. Not to mention, I'm new to the guitar so there are things I'm still learning. That's the other reason I'm curious.

Go here then. The Pit is not for gear discussion:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Wormholes
He even just posted a thread there an hour ago

Wow.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by ianhulett

It doesn't matter if it's the Electric or Acoustic forum, just as long as you ask there, where people can actually help you. Especially if you are a beginner.

If you ask here, people aren't obligated to give you serious or helpful replies. The Pit is for off-topic discussion. Next time, read those little descriptions when browsing the forums.

Quote by Wormholes
No one here plays guitar.
But... what of all the tabs I make?
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Oh. Great. My mortal enemy named Stupidity attacked me... again! I posted here because it said:

"The forum for general discussion of topics that don't fit into the other forums. Please read the rules first."

I felt the whole "fix a guitar" thing didn't fit in any of the others but then I should have remembered it says "GENERAL DISCUSSION" and then said "Please read the rules first." Derp! Well, you learn something new every day.

Quote by ianhulett
Oh. Great. My mortal enemy named Stupidity attacked me... again! I posted here because it said:

"The forum for general discussion of topics that don't fit into the other forums. Please read the rules first."

I felt the whole "fix a guitar" thing didn't fit in any of the others but then I should have remembered it says "GENERAL DISCUSSION" and then said "Please read the rules first." Derp! Well, you learn something new every day.

How does fixing a guitar not fit in a guitar forum?

You didn't realize there's a correlation between the acoustic guitar section and fixing an acoustic guitar?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How does fixing a guitar not fit in a guitar forum?

You didn't realize there's a correlation between the acoustic guitar section and fixing an acoustic guitar?

Here's an example of why I posted here:

On the Hermit Crab Association, there's a section for things not just about care and handling for hermit crabs but there is also a separate section talking about helping sick ones.

Almost every forum I go to, there's a section for something, and there's a separate section about that same 'something' dedicated to emergency care, or help or whatever. I didn't see a repair section for acoustic guitars so I assumed this may be the place to put it.

I'm actually easily confused when I don't know much about something or when I'm new to a community. It's way easier to confuse me than most people in my position. My ADHD doesn't really help the situation either.
Quote by ianhulett
Here's an example of why I posted here:

On the Hermit Crab Association, there's a section for things not just about care and handling for hermit crabs but there is also a separate section talking about helping sick ones.

Almost every forum I go to, there's a section for something, and there's a separate section about that same 'something' dedicated to emergency care, or help or whatever. I didn't see a repair section for acoustic guitars so I assumed this may be the place to put it.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31

clearly what you are looking for would fit under one of those

you can't seriously say that it doesn't fit in there

also what does the "hermit crab association" have to do with anything
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
"Gear Building & Customizing" would be a useful forum, because building and fixing use an awful lot of the same skills.

Especially is you **** something up while you're building.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by theogonia777

also what does the "hermit crab association" have to do with anything

It's an example. That's it.
Quote by ianhulett

Ok. The sarcasm is completely unnecessary. Especially considering I was very literally only trying to help you rather than troll you. You best tone that down.

Second of all, this is very basic. If you have an acoustic problem, then go to the acoustic forum. That "for general discussion of topics that don't fit into the other forums." part is practically telling you to look for which forum would be best to ask before asking the pit. So my previous comment still stands.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line