I've been looking around the internet for a fitting overdrive pedal. The ones I'm thinking about right now is the Ibanez TS9 or Boss SD-1. The purpose of the pedal will be to boost the guitar signal to the amp, having the pedal being set to "0 gain" and "10 level" or something like that. That's what I've heard people do anyways.

Which overdrive pedal do you guys recommend? The Ibanez is twice as expensive, but is it worth it? Or is there any other good ones?
I'm looking for a modern high gain metal tone and my amp is Bugera 6262 Infinum.
Last edited by Koopa_ at Sep 19, 2014,
Digitech Bad Money and Joyo Vintage Overdrive are highly recommended for cheap overdrives. There are a million tube screamer clones around.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Koopa_
I've been looking around the internet for a fitting overdrive pedal. The ones I'm thinking about right now is the Ibanez TS9 or Boss SD-1. The purpose of the pedal will be to boost the guitar signal to the amp, having the pedal being set to "0 gain" and "10 level" or something like that. That's what I've heard people do anyways.

Which overdrive pedal do you guys recommend? The Ibanez is twice as expensive, but is it worth it? Or is there any other good ones?
I'm looking for a modern high gain metal tone and my amp is Bugera 6262 Infinum.

So... why do you want to do that? Because other people do it? That's not really a great reason.

What don't you like about your tone now? If you can't answer that, you don't need a new pedal.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think a tubescreamer type pedal works a lil better for that purpose. Or the EHX Soul Food may be another good option. Both tighten things up a bit and add some oomph.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Used Green Rhino. Get the exact tone you want with it.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Maxon od808. It's ibanez's ts808 (a great circuit) made by the company that designed and produced them for Ibanez years ago, for less, and in a smaller footprint. Figure that one out. They also have the ts9 thing going on too. Great company, good buffered switching. Yeah. Good...
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Quote by Cathbard

+1

Build your own for about £45!

Best OD i have used
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Check out the CMAT Signa Drive, it's the best Tubescreamer-style overdrive pedal I ever tried.

It's an upgraded TS clone with 3 modes, which make it very versatile.
The first is the regular Tubescreamer mode, the second is a lower gain and louder mode -- perfect for what you want, boosting an amp --, and the third is a crunchier and more compressed mode.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
is your tone currently on the smooth side, or on the edgy/fizzy side? that's generally how i decide whether to go for a ts-style or an sd1-style od, since the ts is smoother while the sd1 is edgier/fizzier. (Just to clarify, I'd go with an sd1 if the amp is already too smooth, while i'd go with the ts if the amp could do with being smoothed out a bit.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To be fair, I'm not aware of anyone who makes a glorified TS saying that their version sounds worse than the bog standard version.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I could be wrong but those mods that link lists just sound like the mods almost everyone does.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Will Lane
Yes, but it might be what OP is looking for. It's got more gain than the TS apparently.

He's not adding any 'gain' with the OD, he wants to run it with the level all the way up and the drive all the way down.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by boblittle
He's not adding any 'gain' with the OD, he wants to run it with the level all the way up and the drive all the way down.

Oh ja, right. From what I've seen though it might be good for the kick. Although I quite like the sound of the MXR M75, cheaper too.
Ya you should be fine with the joyo or the boss pedal. Both are great and will do the job and do it well. Cheap too. i have joyo vintage OD and love it
Quote by Cathbard

Curses on paul cochrane for ruining every other overdrive pedal for me

I miss my tim
Quote by Will Lane
Oh ja, right. From what I've seen though it might be good for the kick. Although I quite like the sound of the MXR M75, cheaper too.

I Use my M75 a Boost, od and high gain Drive, so definitely check that out
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by tas38
Digitech Bad Money and Joyo Vintage Overdrive are highly recommended for cheap overdrives. There are a million tube screamer clones around.

I own both of these and the Bad Monkey has better tone control. Either will work for what you want.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Thank you for all the tips!
I decided to go for the Joyo Vintage Overdrive since it is according to reviews, almost identical to the Ibanez TS9.
Even if I don't get what I want out of it, It's not that much of a deal anyway and I always like to experiment.
Good luck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I found a used TS-9 for $55 cash (about half what the go for new+tax) at a small guitar shop in Kansas City. I use is if in the manner you are describing and for that purpose it works great.

In affect, it's my first gain stage. Set at zero it boosts my tubes on my tsl into a sweet light overdrive, then when I go into my crunch channel it enhances and clarifies my gain by boosting the mids and seems to smooth out the whole tone, especially when I start to crank the volume. A lot of other overdrive/distortion pedals get muddy and start to sound like crapola when you get louder.
The TS-808 seems to do this just a little bit better and I've heard the Maxon version does even better. I would like to have one of these but as of yet I can make myself pay $180 for a slightly better version of a pedal I already bought for fifty

I would recommend looking around for a used TS9, there is a reason why they get all the hype.
The reason they get all the hype is because they were one of the first overdrives made (I was around back then and actually owned a first release TS808 which was later stolen). That circuit has now been cloned with and without mods more than any other pedal on the market. If you think there is something magic about the Ibanez ones you are deluding yourself. The Green Rhino, for example, is a much better incarnation of the tubescreamer and there are plenty of others. The Hardwire one is another.

The Joyo is a clone but it's built by dyslexic monkeys on meth. Sometimes the monkeys get it right and if you get one of those then you're golden. What you should do is hand it to somebody that knows what they are looking at so they can go over it with a magnifying glass and fix anything ****ed up by said monkeys.
You would have been safer buying a Bad Monkey (another modded tubescreamer) but as long as you clean up the monkey shit, the Joyo should treat you well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well. my SIGNA drive is pretty much a TS clone....with a 3 mode switchy thing. on the website it says its the "best pedals hes ever made, he will put it against anything, etc etc." okay. but really, its a modded TS. GREAT pedal. but its a great TS clone is what it is.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
There are heaps of kits out here too. I'd actually be as bold as to say that all kit suppliers have a TS clone without too much fear of being proven wrong. They are really easy to build even as a hobbyist. There'd be more tubscreamer clones out there than anything else. And Ibanez don't use particularly good components either. Anybody can build a tubescreamer that would be better than an actual Ibanez, all you need to do is select top shelf components - and not be a dyslexic monkey.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ikey_
well. my SIGNA drive is pretty much a TS clone....with a 3 mode switchy thing. on the website it says its the "best pedals hes ever made, he will put it against anything, etc etc." okay. but really, its a modded TS. GREAT pedal. but its a great TS clone is what it is.

yeah, people end up paying extra for words.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
yeah, people end up paying extra for words.

I wouldn't say that's the case with the Signa Drive. It's actually very well built, and it does sound fantastic. Well worth the $135. I've yet to hear a TS-style overdrive that sounds better.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I have a collection of Ibanez overdrives (TS9, Super Tube, TS10, Disrtortion Charger, DS10 (Distortion), and a TS7) some that I've had since they were first marketed and a few that I picked up cheap years ago on Ebay. Original Ibanez Tube Screamers like the 808, 1st generation TS9 and now even TS10 will set you back way too much when you can get another brands clone for $40-50.00 that sounds almost identical. I have a Bad Monkey and it sounds like a TS9. For a real bargain I recommend the Ibanez TS7. I picked one up on Ebay about two months ago for $31.00 and $5.00 shipping. The TS7 "Lock Tone" is a very nice TS 9 clone overdrive and I love the "Lock Tone" that you can push down and toss the pedal into a case with other wires and loose gear and the knobs don't change.

If I was to pick my favorite Ibanez overdrive pedal, I'd say it is the TS10. I think it's a little "brighter" in upper mids but that may just be my ears. Pedals are so subjective and your amp and it's preamp can make a huge difference. Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 22, 2014,
well its not. you get 3 modes, basically a TS, a more "open, less compressed tone" and then the middle switch is basically a flat EQ, low gain, pretty much clean boost.

its basically your swiss army knife. is it the best non compressed od? no. is it the best boost? no. is the the best TS no? but its pretty darn respectable in each catagory. there are easily 135 dollar boosts, and OD that dont sound as good on thier own. basically, its worth every cent. would i pay 150 or more? meh. i may go for something other than a TS style pedal with more of a unique tone for more money.

to me, its boutique, quality, great sounding in all 3 modes, and for what you are getting lower cost than most otehr comparative pedals on the market. probably one of the most affordable, widely respected TS clones on the market. basically its selling appeal.

certainly not the best. actually, ive been getting bored wanting a new tone. i just cant sell it. its too versatile. perhaps i just really need a fuzz....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i just really need a fuzz....

If you want a Big Muff-type of fuzz, check out the Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina.

It's an IC Big Muff clone with a couple of upgrades (clean blend and mid boost knobs), extremely good and clean construction (actually Blake himself even gave me permission to post gutshots in my NPD thread, so I can show you if you want), and it sounded fantastic through every amp I paired it with, wether they were solid state, hybrid or tube.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
If you are looking for a vintage OD type sound, there is really only one option. The Ibanez TS808 hand wired (about $270). Or, if you have some ability with a soldering iron, you can build your own from BYOC for around $80.

If you are just wanting to boost the signal going to your amp then try something like Xotic EP Boost. Use this if you like the sound of your drive channel then set your gain low and use the boost pedal to increase the amount of drive.

If the drive channel on your amp isn't what you are looking for, then use the TS808 pedal instead.
An alternative to the TS9 is the Nobles ODR1. Like £50 and from what I've heard from those who use them and personal experience they are very good.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
^ yeah the nobels is a decent pedal, but there are a lot of decent pedals.

Quote by wdostrander
If you are looking for a vintage OD type sound, there is really only one option. The Ibanez TS808 hand wired (about $270).

wut

there are numerous cheaper clones which basically sound the same.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?