Hey i'm an ambitious 14 year old guitar player. This is my first forum post, so let me know if i'm doing something "wrong"
Im really interested in the Musicians Institute in LA, and was wondering from anyone that has experience there, what kind of skills does it take to get accepted? I'm wondering what goals I should be setting if I want to get into the school.

Thanks
Technically you're in the right place, but I'm not sure you're going to get much help considering there's only like 30 of us.

Welcome, though.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Technically you're in the right place
I disrespectfully disagree.
I mean if you want serious answers at least.

Also you gotta know theory and how to read music and so on and have a bit of classical music knowledge and harmony to get accepted into that kinda school AFAIK.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I disrespectfully disagree.
I mean if you want serious answers at least.
I never implied getting serious responses. But as far as standards go, I figured it was.

I thought of the music discussion page as posted above me as well, but I always figured that was more for actual musicians and discussion of theory and whatever. I've never ventured in there to begin with though.

I care too much about this stuff. :/
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Do they not have a website that has audition requirements?

Also, something sounds fishy about a "musicians institute." I'm willing to bet it's just a bunch of hacks. Finish high school and go to a college with a good music program if you're still serious about it by then. Otherwise you are probably wasting your money.
I see commercials for it all the time so it's probably one of those for profit scam college with no credits.
Quote by emithesemi
Hey i'm an ambitious 14 year old

save yourself

while you still can
i don't know why i feel so dry
Almost everyone who applies and has the $$$ gets in. Of 1200 students, a handful of grads will come away with serious marketable skills each year. Tuition is around $24k per year. I have played with a few MI grads and they had monster guitar chops and make almost no $$$.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicians_Institute
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 26, 2014,
I dunno, join your high school jazz ensemble?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
For performance schools like that, (ACM is the English equivalent), you generally need around grade 8 in your chosen instrument, grade 5 theory ABRSM, and basic keyboard skills.

Imo, don't go to a performance school. If you want to study music, go to a proper university and get a real degree.

The money in music isn't really in performance unfortunately, teaching will be your bread and butter.
Last edited by nargoth at Sep 23, 2014,
this is ultimate-mac.com

we only know how to play macs, cause making wubz is much better than theory or any of that nerd stuff "musicians" did a long time ago.

get with times, youngin.

buy a mac, and start making WUBZZZ.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank