Hey. I took my guitar to the music store near where I live to ask them some questions, and the clerk there said the strings are too close to the fret board. I want to try and elevate the nut in in an attempt to fix this, however I don't have enough experience from Tech Class in order to keep from screwing up the guitar. Do you have any tips on fixing this, other than returning the guitar? Should I wait until I have more experience with and knowledge about guitars before I attempt to fix? Thanks a bunch.
It seems you either misunderstood the tech, or you have an unlikely, or rather less likely problem than saddle height, which is the most often encountered issue.

Are we talking about the "top nut", (the piece at the headstock where the tuning keys are), or are we talking about the "saddle" which is the piece where the strings end on the body of the guitar?

Read this tutorial about setting up acoustic guitars. It will explain tools, terminology,measurements, and operations: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html involved with setting up an acoustic guitar.

Now, if this is an electric we're discussing, then you do indeed, have the wrong forum.
I agree, if anything is wrong with the nut, it's more likely to be high than low. Check into lowering the saddle, as Captain said.

I just checked out the site he linked, it looks pretty good. My preferred measurements are pretty close to that, I like the nut slots to give me a little lower, around .012 - .015, and overall string height a bit higher than he recommends because I play a lot of slide. For neck relief, I go for .010-.015, but I play pretty hard sometimes so I give it a little more breathing room. I'm more picky about electrics than acoustics, but with an acoustic I like the neck relief a bit on the high side because I usually play it harder to begin with.

A lot of this depends on personal preference, but until you know how to do it and get an idea what your preferences are, stick to some general measurements like those listed on that site, that will get you in the ball park.

One thing he didn't mention, or I missed it, never adjust the truss rod (if it needs to be adjusted at all,) more than 1/4 turn at a time, and let it sit overnight to "settle in" before making further adjustments. It takes the wood a while to conform to the new settings, it's not an immediate change like when you raise or lower the saddle. So it may need to be done a couple of times, if a truss rod adjustment is needed. I always let it settle in for a full 24 hours.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
I agree, if anything is wrong with the nut, it's more likely to be high than low. Check into lowering the saddle, as Captain said.
Actually the TS' complaint is, "the strings are too low"". So, (I think), we're working on shimming the saddle to raise it, (1st), or loosening the truss rod (2nd). (But not more than a 1/4 turn at a time, as you pointed out).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 27, 2014,
Oops...nice catch Capt, didn't realize I had gotten it backwards...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...