Hello forum,

I am currently learning the basics of playing a guitar (like memorizing the chords and knowing the chords positioning, I didnt progress much yet). Unfortunatly, I've been learning with a very cheap (50euros) nylon string guitar and it sounds awful (and yes I got it tuned by a local music shop). It just demotivated me to continue to learn, so I was thinking of buying a new guitar, an electric guitar, and my first question is: is it possible to learn to play an electric without first learning how to play on an acoustic one? If it is, is it harder if I skip learning to play an acoustic first?

I am not looking to play rock n' roll or hard rock musics but soft rock musics specially from the 70's, like the Bread's and Chicago ones. A very calm and sweet melody rather than a 'metal (distortion)' melody. I've been searching for good cheap electric guitars (between 200 and 300 euros) and the names that highlight more often are the Squier Stratocaster and the Yamaha Pacifica 112v. So my second question is: Are these two guitars good (I am sure they can) to play those kind of musics? If yes which one is better? If not, are there other cheap ones that can play delightfully those types of music?
Terry Kath of chicago used a strat at some point so that would probably be my first stop.

Squires are a good place to start as they are affordable.
Have a look on ebay or equivalent and pick one up for about €100

Electric guitars are easier to play than steel string acoustics due to having less tension on the strings, but a nylon does not have that tension. The reason people say to learn on an steel string acoustic first is that it sounds fuller, and it builds up strength in your fingers.

Hope that helps
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by leontinorm
(a) is it possible to learn to play an electric without first learning how to play on an acoustic one? (b)If it is, is it harder if I skip learning to play an acoustic first?

(a) yes absolutely

(b) you're really asking two questions there

it's harder to learn on electric if you don't already play guitar at all than if you already play acoustic. (in the same way that it's easier to learn the flute if you already play piano, but no-one would suggest learning the piano first if you wanted to play the flute!)

however (and this second one is what I think you meant, but I could be wrong)

i'd argue it's no harder to learn on electric than it is to learn on acoustic, assuming that in either case you don't play guitar at all already. In fact I'd say electric is probably easier since it's less sore on your fingers. it's also more fun (if you actually just want to play electric) since there are a bunch of things which you can only really do on electric, and the reverse isn't really so true for acoustic (acoustic sounds "better" for acoustic stuff, but it's not that you can't dial an electric in to have a pseudo-acoustic type of tone if that's what you want).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 19, 2014,
I have a Pacifica and it was great to learn on. You can even get a starter kit bundle with a guitar, amp, and accessories. Try it out first to make sure it feels right, their quality might have dwindled (or newbie guitarist me didn't pay attention to problems).
One thing that I recently discovered about learning to play guitar on an electric: you can practice more with an electric if noise is an issue. I always thought that the acoustic would be more appealing to my wife an baby, so I started with acoustic. I recently picked up an electric, and while I can't play plugged in and cranked up very often; I can play it unplugged or through headphones whenever I want. I can practice when my wife is watching the TV, and I am sitting in the same room. She even commented that she prefers the sound of the acoustic guitar, but the quietness of the unplugged electric is a lot more tolerable.

I picked up a used Epiphone Les Paul with a Marshall Combo amp for $140 USD. They both needed minor work, but were operational. I had to replace the pick up switch to get the guitar going, and after a few turns of a screw driver, the amp was good.
Lot of the amps have a headphone jack so nobody can hear you.i need to get an amp playing eletric with out an amp stinks