Hey! This is my first post *yay*

Anyway, In a few weeks/months I will be purchasing a £400 electro acoustic guitar. It's by Yamaha and it is absolutely beautiful. Thing is, I will only have enough money for the guitar and not a hard case to keep it protected, I do,however have a guitar bag/gig bag. It's got a few cuts and scruffs here and there but generally its in good condition..

My question is. Would it be a stupid choice to put an expensive guitar in a cheep gig bag? Or should I wait untill I can get a case.

The guitar would be stored in the bag//case when not being used and also taken to church every sunday as I play there

Thanks
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony.
Its not stupid.

I have both hard cases and gig bags. I use the gig bags for rehearsal and hard cases for tours/long term storage.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
I use hard-cases and gig-bags, a cheap bag is better than nothing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I personally prefer hard cases, but then again, I'm a klutz with two energetic Border Collies.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
So, the nice shiny, new guitar wouldn't get scratched in a gigbag?
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony.
Quote by RyanT_1996
So, the nice shiny, new guitar wouldn't get scratched in a gigbag?

It shouldn't get scratched from just putting it in the bag and carrying it around. Now if you drop it or something it is more likely to get damaged, but I have seen guitars break while in a case from the G-forces on impact
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A gig bag is fine if you don't do any rough transport with your guitar. However, I would still save up for a hard case if you plan on carrying it regularly. I've got 20-odd guitars, and a collection of gig bags and cheap cases to store them in. However, I also have a couple of good cases that I use for transporting whichever ones I need to take anywhere. - The quality of the case I use is in proportion to the perceived risk, a gig bag for the back seat of the car, an expensive HSC for airline travel.
Well, I wouldn't call your guitar that expensive but whatever...

As people have said, basic gigbag is good for regular use. If you just want to carry the guitar with you, gigbag is a lot easier to carry than a hardshell case. I have a hardshell case for my Charvel but I noticed that it's just not that handy so now I mostly use my gigbag. But yeah, if you gig regularly (and you need to transport your guitar in your trunk), I think a hardshell case would be a good investment.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
As long as you aren’t traveling with the guitar a gig bag is fine. But if you’re really worried, buy the case first and keep saving for the guitar.
A gig bag will be fine in the short term. I wouldn't like to use a gig bag with an acoustic but it's certainly better than nothing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It is not at all stupidity. From your description I got the bag is not damaged it's having here and there small mistakes. These mistakes we can avoid and keep your guitar safe in that. But you should take care these to always.
A bag won't really protect it from impact but it will protect it from scratches. Act accordingly and you'll be fine. Mainly, pay close attention to how it's loaded into the truck. With a hard case you don't have to be quite so vigilant (although it's still a good idea.)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
In my opinion, the gig bag shouldn't over 15% of your instrument. You can get a fine guitar bag, not the best, with £60 if you don't care about the brand.
Quote by wangjing0227
In my opinion, the gig bag shouldn't over 15% of your instrument.

Well your opinion is just that, but how is that helpful at all and where did you come up with 15%
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A proper hardshell case will always be better than a gig bag, and I highly recommend getting one. But if you cannot afford one right now, it's not the end of the world.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Shouldnt matter to much if you are careful.

But then again its cheaper to buy a hard case than it is to pay for damage caused in a gig bag.

Keep an eye out for used cases, or cheap guitars that come with cases. I bought a ibanez gio with a gator case and EMGs for $150, swapped the pickups , sold the EMGs for $100 and the guitar for $120, keeping the case and $70 profit.
Last edited by 12ie at Sep 23, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well your opinion is just that, but how is that helpful at all and where did you come up with 15%

I don't know...are there many people spend $200 for a guitar bag or case if his guitar is no more than $1000? I will never do that. You can get a good ABS case with $150 budget.
Regarding to the £400 electro acoustic guitar, a fair guitar bag is enough I think. 20mm padded with a sturdy pocket outside to hold a mini AMP... or cables at £70.
I think to get one in music show is a good way. I've seen one, 30mm padded, very sturdy outside pocket and a large neck pocket, only cost $100. I will buy one if I didn't have a case already.
Quote by wangjing0227
I don't know...are there many people spend $200 for a guitar bag or case if his guitar is no more than $1000? I will never do that. You can get a good ABS case with $150 budget.
Regarding to the £400 electro acoustic guitar, a fair guitar bag is enough I think. 20mm padded with a sturdy pocket outside to hold a mini AMP... or cables at £70.
I think to get one in music show is a good way. I've seen one, 30mm padded, very sturdy outside pocket and a large neck pocket, only cost $100. I will buy one if I didn't have a case already.

if i gig with the guitar it damn sure has a hard shell case. or i will use a different guitar. i have osme gig bags for light travel, but HSCs are IMO protocol. also if you are buying a nice guitar it should come with a case with it. i have two closets staked to the ceiling with HSC's and another closet half full of gig bags.

where the **** is a $200 gig bag? $200 will get you pretty much any case likely an ATA,
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

where the **** is a $200 gig bag? $200 will get you pretty much any case likely an ATA,

This is not $200, but it is $699 for the bag
www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/levys-crocodile-leather-electric-guitar-gig-bag
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by NakedInTheRain
what the **** is that...

it is 100% genuine, imitation, Crocodile skin printed leather. I bet they haven't sold one yet
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's pretty good mockodile...but it's Levy's, so you'd expect them to do a good job.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!

I want some of the drugs that were at the meeting that spawned that thing.

TS, a good gig bag seems like it will be good for what you need, as has mentioned though, be CAREFUL! A little bit of common sense is about the best protection a guitar can have.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I rarely use my gig bag with my Gibson, mainly when i am going to be carrying it for a long time. My Les Paul weighs a legit 25 lbs so if its going to be on my back most of the time i don't really have a problem with that but 99% of the time i keep it in the hard case. A gig bag will do you fine for now but you might want to get a case in the future.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.