Page 1 of 2
Hi all, I already started a thread on choosing a multi FX unit, and I think I've made my choice. However, I'm gonna need something to amplify that signal.

Now, most people would say that getting a tube amp would be the best possible choice no matter what. They're probably right too, but let me tell you a bit of what I'm gonna be playing.

First of all, I'm Mexican, I'm gonna be playing here in Mexico; and although we do play some U.S. rock songs, we still play a LOT of Mexican, Spanish and Argentinian rock. These tunes are usually heavy on chorus, or have that Fender clean tone to them, but then some get really heavy on the distortion as well. The fact that I'm gonna play a wide range of music variety is definitely something to consider when thinking about amplification.

So, I usually need a lot of versatility in tones, which is why I've always gone for the multi-FX processors; so I can dial in a lot of different types of sounds.

The amp I'm using right now is a bit of a mix and match. I used to have a Marshall MG80RCD, but the amp got fried, it kept blowing the outputs (as the guy who tried to fix it told me) and now I just have it stored somewhere. Then, I bought a tiny Marshall MG10CD just to practice with. Since I saw that both speakers were the same impedance, I though "hey, let's see how the tiny Marshall amp sounds with the 10" speaker from the MG80RCD" and so I wired it up and I got an amp that just takes the signal from my Zoom G7.1ut multi-FX and amplifies it through the clean channel without adding overdrive. Which, is pretty much what I need anyway. However, this amp/speaker combo gives me very very harsh highs, quite ear-piercing when the volume is turned up much.

So anyway, for the venue I will be playing at, I don't need much volume, it's a very small bar. I just want something that gives me a much better sound. Something that sounds clear and reproduces the amp modelling from my multi-FX unit the best as possible.

I was looking at all sorts of amplifiers. From solid state combos, to all tube full stacks (overkill for the tiny bar). But as I was looking at them, I realized that maybe I don't need a guitar amp to amplify my multi-FX signal. I would just be using the clean channel for that and wasting the OD channel. I'm thinking maybe what I should get is a nice powered PA/stage monitor that can clearly amplify the amp modelling coming from the effects processor.

So, whichever your suggestion might be, on whether to get an actual guitar amp or a powered PA/stage monitor, I would very much appreciate if you could help me pick out a particular model. There's so many options out there and it's a bit overwhelming going through all of them.

Budget could be around $500, but I'm not in a huge rush, so I could wait a bit and save some more. Obviously, spending less would be great. Thank you in advance!
If you are using the multi-FX for amp models a powered PA speaker would be the best bet, amps and amp modeling rarely go well together.
Maybe get a good powered speaker...done.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Damn Mexican bastard.

Just kidding.
Actually, I played in a Mexican band for 3 years back in the 80's. I was the token white boy (Picture a Mick Mars/Later John Lennon clone playing with Los Lobos).
We did Cumbia and Ranchera songs but with a 50's and 60's rock or country style twist.
(I did all the horn parts on my guitar as well )
We also did a lot of the usual 50's and 60's classic rock and country tunes.
I had a hell of a lot of fun in those days.

In that band I had a Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET head with 2 4x10 cabinets.
I got some great sounds out of it, and got a lot of complements on my tone.
Would be overkill for your needs, but who says you have to crank it?

We played a lot of small bars and a ton of out door parties (and got on a first name basis with a few cops )

Other than that, a Fender would be a good bet, but stay away from the Hot Rod Deville if you want to use amp distortion.
Its got a great clean channel but its dirt channel is total shit (Same with the Hot Rod Deluxe I have heard)

Might also want to take a look at a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT (The AD30VT is good to but it only has a 10 inch speaker).
The Valvetronix series are modeling amps which would give you lots of options. It also has effects, but except for the reverb, I never used the effects when I had a Valvetronix.
Most of the amp modeling on those isn't to bad.
Vox AC15 might be ok, but might be to bright for that style of music, but still, give one a try if you can.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 19, 2014,
Powered wedge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
@CodeMonk: LOL! First line made me bust a gut lol. I'm gonna look into those amps you mentioned. It's cool to read about your experience! I'm not gonna be playing cumbias and rancheras with this band, but I used to play cumbias on bass with another band. I would much rather play bass in those styles than the guitar lol. I'm sure that rock/country twist and playing the horns on guitar made it a lot more interesting though.

@Everyone else: Could you suggest any specific powered speaker?

@Cathbard: I was definitely thinking about getting a wedge if I went with the powered monitor route, but is there a specific one you'd recommend? There's sooo many brands and models of PA monitors out there.
As long as you go for a decent brand (JBL, Yamaha, Mackie, etc) with a 12" woofer and 100+W it's hard to go wrong.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't know much about PA gear, so naming a few good brands definitely makes things easier for me, thanks! I was looking only at 12" models with at least one 12" speaker and a horn. I thought the 12" was just about the right size, thanks for reinforcing that notion.
I've found that smaller wedges sound shit. I'm sure there are exceptions but 12" 100W seems to be the point where decent ones start. Altec are ok too. Peavey aren't bad but I've never been overly impressed by any of their PA speakers tbh. Still, if the price is right they are certainly worth a go. They aren't exactly shit but JBL and Yamaha kick their arse with ease.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was looking at a wedge style 300W RMS powered monitor with a 12" speaker and a 1 3/8 titanium driver. The price is pretty attractive, at $234.99, but I just don't know about the brand, which is Seismic Audio. Never heard of it 'til I found their website when searching for powered monitors.

Here's the link to it:

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/powered-12-inch-pro-audio-pa-dj-floor-monitor/p/FL-12MP-PW
Never heard of them, sorry.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I suppose though, at that price if it's no good you could flip it and get your money back - once the special deal is over that is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've found that smaller wedges sound shit. I'm sure there are exceptions but 12" 100W seems to be the point where decent ones start. Altec are ok too. Peavey aren't bad but I've never been overly impressed by any of their PA speakers tbh. Still, if the price is right they are certainly worth a go. They aren't exactly shit but JBL and Yamaha kick their arse with ease.

Hopefully ts will pardon my question, but its somewhat on topic. Do you think upgrading the speaker in a cheap powered speaker make a difference? I have a Harbinger(of cardboard tone) 112 that I use at home for my mfx and singing to the neighbors. Lately I've been thinking about trying a different speaker or looking out for something else.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I don't mind at all, lucky. Here's another question, are Behringer powered monitors any good, compared to JBL or Yamaha?
Quite possibly but not necessarily. The speaker is most likely to be the worst part, especially if it has a class D amplifier but I can't say that with any certainty.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i haven't seen it either.

go with something you know has a reputation.

JBL, yamaha and the others that cath rec'd
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Behringer are rubbish, stay away from them. Total crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've never used them myself but I have heard good things about Altos. Those are big enough to use for FoH.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I thinking those Altos might be my choice. Although my singer is trying to get me to stick with a guitar amp lol. I already have a good idea of what I want though, so there's little chance I'll change my mind unless I hear something that just works amazingly for my needs.
Never listen to a singer's opinion on guitar gear. You may as well ask your cat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Never listen to a singer's opinion on guitar gear. You may as well ask your cat.

LOL thanks for all your advice!
Quote by Cathy Todd
Powered speaker is good for you

Definitely seems that way. Thanks.
After looking at both prices and performance, I think I'm sticking to the Alto models. Which would be better for playing guitar through it, one with a 12" speaker or one with a 15" speaker? They both have horns to play the high frequencies and are run with an 800W peak class D amp.

There's only about a $50 difference between the 12" and 15" models, so I'm just wondering if I should stick to 12" or go for the 15".
I can't believe I forgot all about Bugera amplifiers. I think I'm ditching the amp modelling and getting a Bugera 333 XL. All tube, 120W amp with 3 channels for about $500!
Quote by Ceal
I can't believe I forgot all about Bugera amplifiers. I think I'm ditching the amp modelling and getting a Bugera 333 XL. All tube, 120W amp with 3 channels for about $500!

skip bugera IMO. they work best for arson. you probably don't want that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
You know why they are so cheap don't you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You know why they are so cheap don't you?

not totally understanding the innuendo or were serious...

never owned one never will. i like my gear and houses more than spending the same amount f money on a used model of the same thing. that doesn't' spontaneously combust

for **** sake you can spend $600 on a real 5150/6505/+/ii etc, and they are the same price as a new bugera.

the real one used, or a hose burned down....... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i have also heard that they lowered he salary of the five year old kids to $.02 a week.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Alright, can I get some good suggestions on a good tube amp for $600? I wanted the Bugera for the 3 channels, so if it has 3 channels too it would be perfect!
Quote by Ceal

Now, most people would say that getting a tube amp would be the best possible choice no matter what.

I'm thinking maybe what I should get is a nice powered PA/stage monitor that can clearly amplify the amp modelling coming from the effects processor.

Drive up to San Diego, pick up a Carvin PM12A (about $279) and head back home. It's lightweight (about 30 lbs, I think), has a 400W RMS (not "program", not "peak", which enables some marketing department to call a 400W RMS amp a 1200W Peak power amp) solid state amp built in, will reproduce your Multi-FX beautifully, and will work as a tilted floor monitor, on an amp stand as an amp, and on a speaker stand at head level and above.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/PM12A

Oh, and for another $20 (and an additional 7 lbs), they have one with a 15" LF driver instead of a 12". Better all round than the Altos.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 2, 2014,
Quote by Ceal

No. Just...no.
Quote by dspellman
No. Just...no.

So what do you suggest instead?
So now I'm looking at the Laney Ironheart either the IRT60H ($650), or the IRT120H if I can save up enough for it ($999). Any thoughts on this amp? It has 3 channels and the built in "WATTS" knob would be perfect for me, since I'd be playing mainly in a small bar, but would have the occasional outdoor, mid or large venue gig as well.

So is there anything wrong with this amp I should know about?
Last edited by Ceal at Oct 4, 2014,
Since you've decided to take your cat's....erm...singer's advice instead of everyone here, there's nothing wrong with either of those and they will work fine.

The watts knob is a marketing gimmick of no practical value.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
It's not about taking my singer's advice instead of everyone else's here. I started listening to some tube amp clips and it kinda stirred up my previous desire to own a tube amp. I also realized that I can probably get a better sound by just buying the tube amp and using the amp distortions and only using my current multi-fx for delays, chorus, etc. Which means I wouldn't have to buy the HD500X right now.

I mean, can you truly say that using the HD500X with an active monitor will give me a better tone than a good 3 channel tube amp?
Quote by Ceal
It's not about taking my singer's advice instead of everyone else's here. I started listening to some tube amp clips and it kinda stirred up my previous desire to own a tube amp. I also realized that I can probably get a better sound by just buying the tube amp and using the amp distortions and only using my current multi-fx for delays, chorus, etc. Which means I wouldn't have to buy the HD500X right now.

I mean, can you truly say that using the HD500X with an active monitor will give me a better tone than a good 3 channel tube amp?

Nope, for several reasons, not the least of which is that "better tone" is a subjective term. I also own several tube amps, so clearly I'm not against owning one.

But the HD500X will give you a vastly broader palette of options.

Of course you may have decided you don't need that, in which case more (tube) power to you!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I noticed that I only use 3 main sounds with my multi-fx unit. Clean, crunch and lead. I use the acoustic simulator with one or two songs. Other than that, what I need are various ambient/mod effects. Which is my main reason for going with a 3 channel amp now. I don't think I would need more than 3 channels for my clean and 2 distortion sounds, and my multi-fx for various effects. If I were using a lot of different amp simulators, I wouldn't have changed my mind about getting the HD500X and a monitor, but I keep using the same 3 main sounds anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification