Hey guys, I wrote a older post about getting an OD to compliment my amp. I was recommended to use the BB Preamp, but I after some research I like the BB Preamp MB better. I was about to buy the BB Premap MB on ebay new for $196 USD with 2 free patch cables (patch cables isn't a deciding factor) but I saw a slightly used BB Preamp Plus selling for $199 USD. Heres where I'm having a hard time. Should I go with my original intent of getting the BB Preamp MB or should I just pay $3 more and get the BB Preamp Plus?

I currently have an Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 and Schecter C1-FR. I love the amp but im just looking to use the pedal give the Crunch or Burn channel some extra "oomph" to it. I looking to get a high gain type sound similar to the Dual Rec (bought the Express knowing it won't achieve that sound) so should i stick with my original plan and get the BB Preamp MB or go with the BB Preamp Plus? Any one who has tried the BB Preamp Plus, how was it? Trying out either pedal ISN'T an option.

Heres the link to my original post
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1622281

Thanks!
I have the regular BB Preamp (havent try the plus or MB). I tried boosting my Tremoverb and Mark III in the past with it and currently with my Triaxis preamp... it's alright. Maybe its the way my Triaxis is compressed already but it doesnt sound as good when compared to my Maxon OD9. The BB is great for solos though. I bet the MB version will be just as good if not better with the mid boost.

If you just want fo boost your express, there are cheaper alternatives out there. Frankly any tubescreamer varients will do. Maxon OD9 or 808 will be around $100 used and they are magic with Mesa amps. If you need better EQs and a little more versatility check out the Spark Booster from TC Electronics.
^ I haven't tried the BBs, but that's the funny thing... these more boutique takes on more classic pedals often seem to be voiced for players who use them into a clean amp as a standalone overdrive. For just plain boosting, the classic version (or cheaper straight clones) are often just as good, maybe better.

I will say though that, in the case of a tubescreamer, having a bit more volume boost on tap is handy if you're using it as a boost. a stock TS circuit doesn't have tons of boost available on tap. In that respect, the tweaked versions can be better- though you don't have to pay tons to get TSes with more boost on tap either- the hardwire OD has more boost on tap, so does (allegedly, I haven't tried it) the visual sound, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you want a boost for your lead channel, pick up a boss sd-1 for cheaps before you shell out on boutique high-gainers. it has a strong mid-range, and cuts enough of your bass to tighten things up.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
if you want a boost for your lead channel, pick up a boss sd-1 for cheaps before you shell out on boutique high-gainers. it has a strong mid-range, and cuts enough of your bass to tighten things up.

I second that. The SD-1 is great for boosting and you can grab a used one for pocket change in most places.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by NakedInTheRain

yeah

the hardwire overdrive these days (at least in europe) isn't much more, either.

for a more transparent boost on the cheap the digitech screamin blues is pretty good (it's a glorified boss blues driver, for a third of the price) and has a ton of boost on tap too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for your input guys. I think im going to stick with my original plan and go with the BB Preamp MB. I did some more searching and I've heard nothing but praises from other mesa users and i know Andy Andy Timmons (i know I can't achieve his tone..lol)uses the regular BB Preamp. If I don't like it, I can return it or resell it. They seem to hold their value pretty good. Thanks for everyone's input!