Hello all,

I've been playing for awhile, but over the last 5 years I had taken a break for awhile (too long!) and over the last few months I have gotten back into it.

I have a Schecter C-1 Artist Limited from about 11 years ago, as well as an Epiphone SG G400 that's about 10 years old. I know the Schecter the was a pricier guitar and is likely equipped with better pickups and electronics (admittedly, I don't know much about this stuff) but when I plug in my G400 and play it, it just doesn't sound comparable on any level to the sounds I get out of the Schecter. When I was a kid I may not have paid enough attention to the sound to really notice the difference - and maybe that's why I'm noticing it so much now.

I wanted to reach out to the community, however, and ask what you all thought about this. I haven't played either guitar several years, both are stringed with Elixirs (likely from over 5 years ago). The C-1 sounds awesome, but I just don't feel the same way about the G400.

I've had these guitars for awhile, so for sentimental reasons I don't plan to ever get rid of them, but what is YOUR take on this? I know the G400 isn't a crazy expensive guitar, but it was still a $400 guitar when I bought it.

Would changing the strings make any sort of difference?

Thanks!
Ovation Celebrity
Martin Custom D Classic
Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition
Epiphone SG G-400

Line 6 Spyder II
Would changing the strings make any sort of difference?

Undoubtedly, yes.

Really if you think something is wrong with the tone of the G400, you need to restring both guitars first and then start asking yourself what is missing. Sure the G400 isn't the best sounding guitar in the world, it could do with new pickups, but it doesn't sound atrocious stock with a solid amp, or at least it shouldn't if everything works.

Also, the fact that you're using a Line 6 Spider doesn't help. I'd say that's part of the problem too.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 20, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Undoubtedly, yes.

Really if you think something is wrong with the tone of the G400, you need to restring both guitars first and then start asking yourself what is missing. Sure the G400 isn't the best sounding guitar in the world, it could do with new pickups, but it doesn't sound atrocious stock with a solid amp, or at least it shouldn't if everything works.

Also, the fact that you're using a Line 6 Spider doesn't help. I'd say that's part of the problem too.

Why the hate for Line 6?

I've had the amp for the same amount of time. When I was a kid I bought it because it only 300 bucks, it was super loud, and it has a lot of versatility. I always found that I could do a lot with my Line 6 without really needing any pedals...
Ovation Celebrity
Martin Custom D Classic
Epiphone SG G-400

Line 6 Spyder II
Quote by Skizz_oV
Why the hate for Line 6?

I've had the amp for the same amount of time. When I was a kid I bought it because it only 300 bucks, it was super loud, and it has a lot of versatility. I always found that I could do a lot with my Line 6 without really needing any pedals...

Because Spiders just aren't good amps. Almost all the other modelling amps in the same price range sound better, particularly the Peavey Vypyr and the Roland Cube. With those amps doing the same job as the Spider, but do everything better (imo), and both being in the same price range, it's obvious why they're not well received on UG.

But granted if you bought it so long ago, an alternative might not have been an option to you. But I still stand that your amp is part of the problem since it just doesn't sound good.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 20, 2014,
I'd probably consider getting a new amp some time. I might be leaning toward a low end Marshall, though. It's been awhile since I've looked at amps though, so I'm open to checking out different ones.
Ovation Celebrity
Martin Custom D Classic
Epiphone SG G-400

Line 6 Spyder II
Quote by Skizz_oV
Hello all,

I've been playing for awhile, but over the last 5 years I had taken a break for awhile (too long!) and over the last few months I have gotten back into it.

I have a Schecter C-1 Artist Limited from about 11 years ago, as well as an Epiphone SG G400 that's about 10 years old. I know the Schecter the was a pricier guitar and is likely equipped with better pickups and electronics (admittedly, I don't know much about this stuff) but when I plug in my G400 and play it, it just doesn't sound comparable on any level to the sounds I get out of the Schecter. When I was a kid I may not have paid enough attention to the sound to really notice the difference - and maybe that's why I'm noticing it so much now.

Other factors aside, your ears have matured. Your perceptions are different, more refined.

When I first got into electrics, I bought 2: one was @$500, the other was about 7x costlier (long story). When I bought them, they sounded different, but at the time, I couldn't put my fingers on WHY.

11 years of playing later, I can. The pickups on the less expensive guitar are harsher, and not as clear. (It is probable that some of its electronics may not be as well done as the other- I'll find out if/when I upgrade the pickups, as planned.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you don't like how you sound (especially if you're using a line 6 spider) I'd say there's a better than evens chance that the amp is at least as much to blame as the guitar.

I could be wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Skizz_oV
I'd probably consider getting a new amp some time. I might be leaning toward a low end Marshall, though. It's been awhile since I've looked at amps though, so I'm open to checking out different ones.

Whatever you do, avoid getting a cheap Marshall. Their low end amps are terribad.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Not defending the Spyder, but he's talking about a difference between 2 guitars played through it. IOW, it's not likely to be the amp that is the source of the dissatisfaction, since he's hearing both guitars through it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Changing the pickups might be all you need to make the Epi sound to your liking. Just find out what pickups are in the Schecter; if you email them they might tell you. It’s probably some combination of Duncan 59, JB, and distortion models.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Not defending the Spyder, but he's talking about a difference between 2 guitars played through it. IOW, it's not likely to be the amp that is the source of the dissatisfaction, since he's hearing both guitars through it.

in my defence, apparently i didn't read the original post at all well

EDIT: in my defence I had a migraine today. and am wearing new glasses.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fair enough!

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Whatever you do, avoid getting a cheap Marshall. Their low end amps are terribad.

I thought the newer dsls were decent, probably much better with good tubes and maybe a speaker swap. And the Class 5s are pretty good amps too.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I actually like the cheaper Marshalls, the valvestate ones are awesome for the money.

But on to the OPs question. I love Epiphone guitars; they feel really good to play, especially at such a low price. However the pickups are garbage. If you want to make it sound better I'd recommend some aftermarket pickups. If you're on a budget I'd get GFS crunchy PAT's or something similar for an awesome traditional Gibson style tone. If money wasn't an issue maybe look into Seymour Duncans or Gibson pickups.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Fair enough!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Because Spiders just aren't good amps.

If you're talking about sound, realize that the above statement is completely subjective. You don't like them. Okay. But Line 6 has sold more of them than anyone else has ever sold of any amp, period. Well over a million of the suckers. And they've given Line 6 the largest market share in the amp industry. Not Marshall, Not Vox. Fender put out the Mustang line to compete with them because they were being eaten alive by Line 6.

And yes, there are people using Line 6 amps professionally, fer pete's sake. Run the output of one of those directly into a mixer and you'll hear why.

I don't own one, I don't want to own one, I don't have stock in the company. I've got 15 tube amps from monster to small and I love 'em. But I'm using modelers (Axe-FX and Pods plus Torpedo C.A.B.) and I'm mostly running to full-range or PA systems. Line 6 Spiders have been what most of the newbs here started out on, and there are a certain number of tube snobs who will poo-poo them and tell you that you've gotta have a tube amp or nothing. That's baloney and that's certainly not where the industry is going any more and certainly not the direction that a lot of pros are moving, but if they work for you, that's great. I found that they were limited, heavy, delicate and sometimes finicky, and that I had a lot more versatility from modelers. YMMV.

But those silly little "not a good amp" Spiders have been the foundation of a whole lot of guitarists in the modern age.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Yeesh. I'll bow to your expertise here; I honestly don't do much at the cheap end of Marshalls.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 21, 2014,
not hating line 6 but my line 6 spider 15w makes every guitar I own almost sound identical , on the other amps I own this doesn't happen ..... my grand kids sure like the little Line 6 I have from all the modes it plays , cheap and light weight so its not all bad , our lead guitarist plays a spyder valve 2x12 it sounds fine
Just because something sells like hotcakes doesn't mean it's good. McDonalds outsells envy other burger maker in the world. In no way do they score #1 cullinarily, even within that limited scope.

While I agree that liking an amp's tone is subjective, I've seen too many people on this forum and others who claim to have owned one who despise them to think there's no fire with that smoke.

And, FWIW, I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is using those little Line6 Spyders professionally.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 21, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
If you're talking about sound, realize that the above statement is completely subjective. You don't like them. Okay. But Line 6 has sold more of them than anyone else has ever sold of any amp, period. Well over a million of the suckers. And they've given Line 6 the largest market share in the amp industry. Not Marshall, Not Vox. Fender put out the Mustang line to compete with them because they were being eaten alive by Line 6.

Irrelevant. Popularity doesn't make an amp worth someone's time or money.

And yes it is my opinion. Other people's milage may vary, but I am allowed to speak freely of my thoughts regarding those amps even if they're negative.
And yes, there are people using Line 6 amps professionally, fer pete's sake. Run the output of one of those directly into a mixer and you'll hear why.

Maybe with their other products, such as HD and DT, but Spider? lolno. And Ola Englund doesn't count!
I don't own one, I don't want to own one, I don't have stock in the company. I've got 15 tube amps from monster to small and I love 'em. But I'm using modelers (Axe-FX and Pods plus Torpedo C.A.B.) and I'm mostly running to full-range or PA systems. Line 6 Spiders have been what most of the newbs here started out on, and there are a certain number of tube snobs who will poo-poo them and tell you that you've gotta have a tube amp or nothing. That's baloney and that's certainly not where the industry is going any more and certainly not the direction that a lot of pros are moving, but if they work for you, that's great. I found that they were limited, heavy, delicate and sometimes finicky, and that I had a lot more versatility from modelers. YMMV.

You're making the assumption that I have something against modelling technology. I don't. The Axe FX is brilliant. Some of the modelling software out there such as Overloud TH2, when in the right hands, sounds brilliant. I have nothing against them. But I just don't like how Spiders sound. I think spending money on a Spider is a mistake since I believe there are superior alternatives.
But those silly little "not a good amp" Spiders have been the foundation of a whole lot of guitarists in the modern age.

Irrelevant. Popularity doesn't make an amp worth someone's time or money.
Yeesh. I'll bow to your expertise here; I honestly don't do much at the cheap end of Marshalls.

I just don't like the MG's. I'm assuming that versatility (including a lot of effects) at a tight budget is what TS is looking for, if he wants Marshall, the MG is his option. But I just don't think it's a good amp
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 21, 2014,
Quote by jpnyc
Changing the pickups might be all you need to make the Epi sound to your liking. Just find out what pickups are in the Schecter; if you email them they might tell you. It’s probably some combination of Duncan 59, JB, and distortion models.

OP: This is a good idea. Pickups are huge. Also, if you tell me the first two digits of the Schecter's serial number, I'll tell you what pickups are in it.

Edit: Scratch that, I don't need to know the year. It's got the typical JB/'59 combo.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Sep 21, 2014,
You might be looking for different things out of the different guitars. I have a G400 and the same thing happened to me but with a much cheaper guitar. I tried out a friend's cheaper guitar and his sounded and felt much better than mine. I was always dissatisfied with my G400 but I could never understand why. But his was just a much better guitar for me. His had hotter pickups and a longer scale length. The guitar objectively wasn't better, it was just more suitable for me and what I wanted at the time. And what you're playing through has an effect on that. You might think one guitar sounds good through one amp and bad through another.