Hai

I'm looking at getting a compressor to bring out some more sustain in my lead tone. I don't want to get anything fancy, so it looks like an ED-1 or a CS-3 will be in my price range.

I play power metal/thrash.

I'm purely interested in this for more sustain on my lead tone, how well the pedal does jazzy chords as I see it used for sometimes is completely irrelevant to me.

Only other thing is it can't be noisy, because my amp is somewhat noisy already.

Which pedal do you think is better, or possibly an alternate one in the same price range? I could stretch a bit I guess.

Thanks
I like the CS-3 better.

If you wanted to save up an extra $100, the Deep Six by Walrus Audio adds a "blend" knob that blends the dry and the compressed signal. Super good for those who want the sustain without the volume cut.
Never tried the CS-3, but avoid all Marshall pedals - the bypass in them is terrible.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i dont get it. isnt your high gain tone compressed as heck anyways? my experience with compression and lots of gain is that it only adds white noise and buzzing that doesnt need to be there. generally my "beyond rock tone" is compressed enough anyways.

i am sensing a deficiency in your amp and other drive pedals as the root cause. you have a 6505? no chance its the amps problem.

what overdrive are you using? instead of a compressor, try a lead boost / screamer. tightens the mids, adds come compression, takes away some of the heavy bass.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Sep 20, 2014,
Quote by ikey_
i dont get it. isnt your high gain tone compressed as heck anyways? my experience with compression and lots of gain is that it only adds white noise and buzzing that doesnt need to be there. generally my "beyond rock tone" is compressed enough anyways.

i am sensing a deficiency in your amp and other drive pedals as the root cause. you have a 6505? no chance its the amps problem.

what overdrive are you using? instead of a compressor, try a lead boost / screamer. tightens the mids, adds come compression, takes away some of the heavy bass.

The tone is only high gain if you turn up the gain knob lol.

Distortion is coming from the amp. But I don't think you read my post. I'm not after compression, I want more sustain. That's what this will do to my sound, right?

Thanks to everyone so far.
The boss does the trick, but has a few too many features with the tone and the limiter side of things - and it's not overly transparent. I've used the mxr custom comp and the mxr dyna comp, which are essentially the same with the extra knob for attack on the custom. Even with the control on the attack they are both very squishy, which works for certain aspects, but again they're not overly transparent. I've settled myself on the maxon cp101 and have been very pleased with it. It is an optical compressor with a barely noticeable attack time and a good transparent tone. I use it for compressed clean tapping licks a la minus the bear, etc., but it also plays very nicely with my Rat, even if it's on balls out gain. It's good quality, probably 20/30 of your selected currency over your alternatives, and I'm happy with it. Compressors are a strange world to get into, I always feel like it's like getting into a discussion about your favourite plain flavoured crisps/chips.

Sustain is really something that can be gained form most compressors or distortion type circuits. If you set the compression/sustain level on any compressor high enough it will increases volumes on lower volume frequencies for longer, elongating the notes, IE the sustain. What you may be surprised to see when you play at high gain using amp distortion is how much you're missing in terms of string to string balance and balance up the fretboard. Compressors, like plain flavoured crisps, are underappreciated by some.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Last edited by DeviousByNature at Sep 20, 2014,
Quote by ikey_

Having written that impromptu essay, I actually think this chap is right. You're probably more in need of a tubescreamer type pedal (maxon have a great one, no I'm not sponsored) due to the tones metal demands, you need tighter responses from your amps gain, which isn't really a compressors job. They're great on cleans and on low gains, such as I use - but an od pedal like a tubescreamer or blues driver still has quite a high amount of compression for sustain, but also tightens up the response of your pre-amp. Essay no. 2, spot the literature graduate.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
I'm going to be the next guy that says get a tube screamer type pedal for what you want. A compressor on top of already noisy gain will just be noisier and do nothing for your sustain. I use a TS-9 for leads in front of a Blackstar Series One 100 and it does the job great for lead boost(including sustain). Set it at 0 or very minimal Drive, Tone set your liking(I set mine at ~10:00), and Level maxed. Good luck!
I have the Boss CS-3 and have used it ahead (guitar side) of a Tube Screamer. I was looking for compression from it and not sustain. When I tried getting more sustain with it, I didn't get much more than what I got without it.

It does flavor the tone, and in a way that I don't care for.
use a tubescreamer with your 6505+. will add sustain, punch, tightness, compression etc.

you shouldn't need a compressor pedal with a high gain amp like that. if you do, you're doing something wrong. or at least, a tubescreamer (or similar) will do what you want with a lot less fuss, if you ask me.

EDIT: what ikey said, in other words.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wasn't expecting a great response like this, thanks so much, and it's important to know that I've been looking at the wrong pedals for the job.

I guess the question should be what tubescreamer I need now, but I'm pretty set on the G Screamer. I'd look at something else though.

Um, isn't the tubescreamer an overdrive pedal? I have a couple distortion pedals, the MT-2 and the horrible MXR Dime, but they do nothing for my sound. How will an overdrive pedal improve sustain and bite in a way my distortion pedals can't? My distortion pedals just make the sound lose quality and sound thin and tinny.

Thanks.
it will. trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8lep6_RYuk&feature=player_detailpage#t=75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CYxYoMZBfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJQonYdcr3E

(you need the drive low and the volume high on the pedal to boost. it works because it adds mids and compression and tightens the low end. those pedals you have aren't really doing that. The other thing is, it doesn't need to be an ibanez or maxon tubescreamer, there are tons of cheaper clones available)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 20, 2014,