I know cymbals are completely subjective, but I want a good set of cymbals for the money I'm willing to put out.

I'm looking to spend no more than $500.

On zZounds, a Zildjian ZBT 5 cymbal pack (2 crashes, ride, hats, and splash) is going for $399.99, and a Sabian Xs20 pack (2 crashes, hats, and a ride) are $479.00. These seem like good deals, but I don't know if I should get those or either spend a little extra money for Sabian AA's, or Zildjian A customs.

eBay has a bunch of Zildjian A's for sale for a pretty bargain price, but I'm unsure of used cymbals, especially over eBay.

Any thoughts?
Well first off, I'd definetely recommend the XS20s over the ZBTs, just because the XS20s are made of much better bronze (B20 rather than B8), which is what basically all high level cymbals (excluding Paiste) are made from. But it's also probably worth taking a look at Paiste Alphas, Istanbul XISTs (and Meinl Classics Customs if you play metal), since they're also good mid-level cymbals in a similar price range to XS20s. I'd definetely look to go for a quality set of hats, ride and 1 or 2 crashes and look to expand later rather than getting a lot of cheaper cymbals.

I have a mix of Sabian AAX and HHX now that I've very happy with, I picked them all up used on eBay and it's cost me less than half of what it would have done to have ordered them new. I'd definetely recommend doing this since it also benefits you in the long run, since you're not going to have to spend more money to upgrade again, and if you do the cymbals will have retained value (since you bought them for a used price and will sell them for a similar used price).

Don't be afraid to try stuff in shops even if you're not buying from them, and use sites like mycymbal.com to research cymbals to find the sounds that you'd be 100% happy with, and then mercilessly hunt them down
Thanks a bunch. Yeah, I was thinking the XS20s over the ZBTs, because I've watched videos reviewing both, and the Sabian's sounded so much better. I've looked at Meinl Classics, too. Not sure about Paiste or Istanbul, though.

I think I might definitely go used, for at least most of them. And that's what I was aiming for for cymbals; hats, ride, and two crashes. I have a china, already.

Thanks!
Also a good question to ask; which ones are good all around cymbals? Like more metal, punk, or even soft alternative rock.
Yeah I think the best idea is to try and get as many pro-level used cymbals as you can afford, since it will save for you in the long run. I'd try and get hats and a ride first (espeically if you crash on the ride).

Of the mid-level cymbals, I feel like the Alphas are going to be the most versatile, since they have a good range of options in there, with an option for thinner models in all areas as well as specific rock and metal models in a good range of sizes.

The Meinl Classic lines seem to be advertised with the main selling point of being loud, which to me at least doesn't lend itself to versatility (since you can make quieter cymbals go loud quite nicely, but loud cymbals often sound dull played quietly).

XS20 seem like good cymbals, but centred on more of a vintage, less cutting sound. There are some specific rock models, but I wouldn't pick them for Metal or Punk.

As for the Istanbul XISTs, I used to have a set and the main issue I had with them was that they sounded really quite dull when played more quietly. However they've expanded the range considerably (when I had them they didn't make brilliant finishes, and were only 14" hats, 20" and 22" ride and crashes between 16"-18", however now there are a full range of sizes) and re-branded them since I had them, so that gives you plenty of options.

But try and test out as many as you can in person, the only sets I've had extended playing time on are the XISTs and Zildjian ZXTs (replaced by ZBTs), so my impressions are unlikely to be 100% accurate haha. Still, hope this is some use
Out of those - definitely the XS20s, though I'm not a fan of either of those lines, honestly. Personally, I'd look into buying used, but if you have to buy new - check out Dream cymbals. You can get a GREAT set of cymbals for $500 from them. Paiste Alphas are worth looking into, as well, if you need to buy new.

Quote by Lordyboy
just because the XS20s are made of much better bronze (B20 rather than B8), which is what basically all high level cymbals (excluding Paiste) are made from.

Paiste 602, Twenty and Sound Creation are made from B20
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
you might want to try looking at stagg cymbals. i would try to find someplace you can actually listen to them though. i have a few of the furia line, 15, 16, and 18 in. crashes and of those the 15 is the only one i'm not real happy with, but they are a lot cheaper than the higher end cymbals and sound a lot better than the zbt's and b8's. i haven't heard any of the dh line from stagg, but have heard they sound pretty good. i have heard a few from the sh line and wasn't really impressed.
I'm pretty much going with Paiste Alpha's, but I'm unsure if I should go with Thin crashes or Rock/Medium crashes. I've found some good priced used Medium crashes, but if I went Thin, I'd probably have to buy new, but I'm unsure.
Go with your gut, but I normally avoid rock sizes because I think they sound clunky and aren't really any more durable than thinner models. However, having never bought any there's no guarantee this is true haha
Sabian makes a "leopard" ride that fits all types of music

Zildjian has cool Hi-hat combos like the K/Z

thins and splashes from both make cooler accents than their "rock" lines

the music stores will not have odd cymbals in stock -- you need to find them or order them
^There's a Leopard for sale on DrumForum for $100 shipped, just an FYI

Thought about buying it, but I'm trying to limit myself on drum purchases lately... it's not really holding up, but I've got way too many cymbals as it is - so naturally I just keep buying snares
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com