So hi.
I bought an epiphone Firebird Studio in worn cherry about two months ago and I couldn't be happier with the sound. BUT ! It holds tuning just about as good as my old acoustic guitar I bought on a flea market for less than 50 bucks, meaning for about ten minutes of normal playing.
Is there any way to change the tuners, since these are weird steinberg tuners ?
I don't think it's the strings, I play 9 to 42 (I know a firebird is more rocky/almost metally but hey), which are pretty damn thin but I haven't heard complaints from other 9 gauge string users.
If you can actually change the tuners could you recommend some good ones ?
Thanks !

-Max
check your nut, those tuners are excellent quality
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by makskeleton
What could be wrong with the nut ?
And how can I see what's wrong ?

The nut may not be slotted properly.
What strings are having the issues?
Is there any "ping" sounds when you start to tune any strings? this is typically because the nut slot is too narrow and the string is binding
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What year is the guitar that you have? I think that Gibson changed from the 40:1 tuners to a much lower grade tuner 14:1 in those guitars not too long ago. The 40:1 tuners are awesome and the 14:1 version aren't that great.

If you really want to change the tuners get the real Steinberger tuners. Best investment on a firebird ever. If my personal Firebird wasn't a Bicentennial I would have changed the tuners already.