Currently I'm playing through a 6505 and I love it, but I like to experiment with different genres so other than metal, it isn't the most versatile amp.

So I've been considering getting a lower wattage amp; mainly because a lot of people say you just don't need 100+ watts, but then again, there are the people who swear by 100 watts.

I've been looking into the Orange TH30 head, as well as Hughes & Kettner GrandMeister 36; but if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Also, my main concern with getting a lower wattage head, is if I ever gig with it. Would I really be losing a whole lot by using fewer watts?
Unless you're specifically going for tube saturation, and even then it will be stupidly loud, obsessing over watts is a waste of time. Ignore the number and focus on getting the exact amp you want or need.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
^ yeah

you could possibly make a case for lower wattage if you're after more vintage, power-tube distortion type tones. but you have to be bang on the exact right number of watts for that to work. power scaling or similar might be a better idea.

you could also make a case for a different amp if the 6505 sounds too modern.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ I second that.
Seriously.

The TH30 isn't much versatile and the H&K sounds fairly bad if ya ask me.
All H&K's do that imo.
Also the features that should make it good and convenient (emulated line out for example) sucks.
And that's not only my opinion.

Versatility goes well with digital stuff.
Fancy an HD500x?

Or maybe you would wanna give us more details about what grounds you would want to cover so we can give you more specific suggestions?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah

you could possibly make a case for lower wattage if you're after more vintage, power-tube distortion type tones. but you have to be bang on the exact right number of watts for that to work. power scaling or similar might be a better idea.

you could also make a case for a different amp if the 6505 sounds too modern.

Since I mainly play metal I figured I should keep it around, but I've also considered possibly selling the 6505 and trying to find an amp that's versatile but can still do the heavy tones I love.

As far what I'm looking for, other than metal I play a lot of Yellowcard, Sleeping With Sirens, and other various hard rock and pop punk bands. The 6505 just doesn't do tones for those kinds of music well for me
A used Krank 1980 Jr would work. I have one and it is basically a hotrod JCM800 with a very good clean channel. It weighs 20ish lbs. They came in 20 or 50 watt versions (mine is the 20) and either can easily work in a band situation. They are kinda hard to find but deff worth it. I paid $300 for mine from GC's used site. The Krank Rev Jr is also worth a look, but the Rev Jr pro is the one that has foot-switchable channels and a useable clean channel.

If you have a decent budget the Mesa Mini-rectifier and the new MarkV 25 would be worth a look
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Play around with the Rhythm channel on your 6505. You may end be surprised at what it can do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Play around with the Rhythm channel on your 6505. You may end be surprised at what it can do.

I have played around with it a lot. Just my personal taste.
A Mesa Rectoverb or possibly Tremoverb would be good for what you want to do.

Though a TH30 isn't a bad choice either.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MusicMan24
Since I mainly play metal I figured I should keep it around, but I've also considered possibly selling the 6505 and trying to find an amp that's versatile but can still do the heavy tones I love.

As far what I'm looking for, other than metal I play a lot of Yellowcard, Sleeping With Sirens, and other various hard rock and pop punk bands. The 6505 just doesn't do tones for those kinds of music well for me

might be handier and cheaper to just get a second amp (assuming you have space, and assuming you like the 6505's metal tones). i'm not aware of that many amps which do a range of tones amazingly well... and the ones that do tend to be expensive. and even with them, it's debatable if they do it as well as two separate (and even cheaper) amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Spambot_2
The TH30 isn't much versatile [...]

I disagree. With the addition of an EQ pedal and a tubescreamer-type pedal, there's not a lot it won't do, in my opinion. It'll never get as clean as a Fender, for instance, but that's not what you're looking for if you're even considering an Orange.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I disagree. With the addition of an EQ pedal and a tubescreamer-type pedal, there's not a lot it won't do, in my opinion. It'll never get as clean as a Fender, for instance, but that's not what you're looking for if you're even considering an Orange.

My Rockerverb and my girlfriend's Thunderverb disagree.

Sleeping With Sirens used to use TH30s. I don't listen to that type of music anymore, so I don't know what they use now. Do you have a budget for us? Are you set on it being a head?
You could just grab a Vyper Tube 60.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I just ordered a Carvin V3M head , 7 , 22 and 50 watt , supposed to be versatile with 3 channels , the sound clips sound good but I haven't received it yet so no comment yet on versatility or sound ...... been gigging a 6505+ 1x12 combo but the weight of the combo is killing my back , hoping the V3m will match the 6505 for metal but have a much better clean channel and then the versatility of the three channels along with a slant top 2x12 should be much lighter to transport than my 6505+ combo ..... I too don't like the cleans of the 6505 but I also have a super reverb and twin reverb to compare too so that doesn't help the 6505 either but carrying any two of those three combo's is out of the question unless we get some road crew quickly
Just get a good trolley/dolly/handcart, man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well, for about 600 a carvin v3m is pretty darn versatile in that it covers most ground "fairly well". its certainly not the best at anything, but literally no 3 channel amp for 600 dollars is going to sound like a fender twin, uberschall, and a bluesbreaker all in one. so...weight pros and cons.

yeah, and on the wattage topic - i have played a 22 watt amp that scales down to 1/3 power, ive played a 40 watt amp that scales down to 1 watt, ive played a 30 watt amp that scales down to 1 watt, a 40 watt amp with no scaling, and now a 50 watt carvin v3m that scales down to 22 and 7 watts.

i can tell you that the impact to overall volume is pretty much none. the headroom is effected, the response is dramatically effected, and the clarity / punch / bass response is REALLY effected.
that is probably the main reason metal amps are higher wattage.

does wattage affect how i play in the house? yes. at 50 watts the bass response and punch on my carvin v3m comes through a LOT better. i mean, i get the floor THUMPING. so i play on 7 watts. does that mean the neighbor cant hear? no. he hears the same. but instead of hearing music normally, on 50 watts it would be like me blasting a subwoofer.

i have come to the correlation that its also design. a vox lil night train, 2 watts, is still going to piss everyone off in guitar center. however, i still think it has a noise ceiling for some engineering reason i cant describe. the transformers, the power section, etc. i personally think if you have a 6l6, 40 watt power section, no matter how you scale it down, those 6l6s do SOMETHING. they push BASS. i feel its like taking a race car with glass packs and making it idle down the road. its still loud! you got that big engine going. i dunno. most amps ive found with "power scaling" dont really effect volume. you need an amp thats built for low volumes.

the huge topic nobody addresses is the speakers. they are designed to turn sound into about 98 decibels with about 1 watt of power, and only go up from there. 1 watt.

watt.

so really anything more than that and your at 100+ Decibels easy. now most speakers are about 98 SPL, but some go up to 103!!! that means at that same one watt, you start out at 103 decibels and go up from there. 98 to 103 is HUGE. thats like doubling the amp wattage. just because of the speaker. so yes, you cab has a massive effect.

more speakers seems to push more air, response, prescence, and bass. a good big old dolid wood cab exxagerates all that, like a marshall 1960 4x12. huge sound. much louder in decibels? meh. debatable. do us humans feel its louder? YES. a LOT. your neighbor will hate you.

_____

not sure if i got off on a tangent, i suppose im making a point that if your buying a new amp specifically for lower wattage, i dont think you are taking the right things into account.

lastly - anything over 20 watts will give you decent to good cleans while gigging if miced. in a huge area unmiced perhaps you want more. depends how much breakup you like in your tone. in my opinion, 30 watts is a good amount to do just about anything you need. that Orange can cover a lot of genres and settings. i dislike the whole wattage debate. but yes there is a reason the huge high gain amps are 100 watts. just like a 458 hemi has so much CCs. a civic may be upgraded to go faster, but its just like the same.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)