Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum but have been using this site for years! Sorry if this has been brought up before. Anyways, it is time for me to get a new amp. I would love to get a tube amp but can't afford one right now. I play pretty much every style of music and essentially my band does too. I really like the Fender Champion 100 and wanted to hear what you guys thought of it. I am torn between that or possibly a Peavey Transtube amp. I also would like to know how either amp responds to pedals as I have a decent sized board. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Last edited by Tonefreak11 at Sep 20, 2014,
hey man i hear ya on the cost of tube amps. I have a fender champion 110 from 1992 with a new eminence patriot speaker and it sounds amazing. Loud as a want and takes pedals well. I use a strat loaded with tex-mex pickups and use a few pedals so clearly im a blues player lol. I would love a fender blues jr or a deville but can't afford it. I think you will be ok with the fender 100. Good luck and I hope this helps
That's awesome! Thanks for the input. The pedal aspect was a concern to me too but I figured with the clean channel of a fender it shouldn't be a problem taking pedals. Definitely helps, much appreciated!
Quote by Tonefreak11
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum but have been using this site for years! Sorry if this has been brought up before. Anyways, it is time for me to get a new amp. I would love to get a tube amp but can't afford one right now. I play pretty much every style of music and essentially my band does too. I really like the Fender Champion 100 and wanted to hear what you guys thought of it. I am torn between that or possibly a Peavey Transtube amp. I also would like to know how either amp responds to pedals as I have a decent sized board. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Fender Champion 100s go for about $300? That's what I paid for my Blues Junior that will blow the Champion out of the water. Even if you can't go used, you're not far from tube amp territory with that budget.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Fender Champion 100s go for about $300? That's what I paid for my Blues Junior that will blow the Champion out of the water. Even if you can't go used, you're not far from tube amp territory with that budget.

While this is true, I would need to get a high wattage tube amp which ups the price a few hundred dollars. I played through a 15w fender superchamp tube amp with my band the other day and I had a hard time hearing myself over them. I cranked the volume all the way and still had a hard time. Also maintaining a tube amp is something I don't want to deal with yet until we play bigger shows. I don't know, what do you guys think?
Glad i can help man. I got my amp for like $75 bucks used and couldn't be happier. At some point id love to get a tube amp but im not gonna settle on just anything. Good luck man, let me know how it turns out. Nothing wrong with upgrading some of the stuff that you already have=)
Get a used peavey valveking 1x12 combo
50 watts, a nice clean channel and a decent drive channel and take pedals very well
Here is one for $229
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Valve-King-1X12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110439754-i3932136.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Tonefreak11
While this is true, I would need to get a high wattage tube amp which ups the price a few hundred dollars. I played through a 15w fender superchamp tube amp with my band the other day and I had a hard time hearing myself over them. I cranked the volume all the way and still had a hard time. Also maintaining a tube amp is something I don't want to deal with yet until we play bigger shows. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Point the speaker at your ears. That way you'll hear yourself. Also, 15 watts cranked is pretty damn loud and should be enough to play with a band. If you can't hear yourself, the other guys should play quieter. Because at band practices you don't have to play that loud. If you are talking about gigs, again, don't have the amp pointing at your feet. Put a mic in front of your amp and use monitors.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ while some can get away with a 15 watt amp in a band, I can't. It simply cannot move enough air for some people.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Point the speaker at your ears. That way you'll hear yourself. Also, 15 watts cranked is pretty damn loud and should be enough to play with a band. If you can't hear yourself, the other guys should play quieter. Because at band practices you don't have to play that loud. If you are talking about gigs, again, don't have the amp pointing at your feet. Put a mic in front of your amp and use monitors.

We play loud in this hear band! We just started out and we don't have much equipment yet.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a used peavey valveking 1x12 combo
50 watts, a nice clean channel and a decent drive channel and take pedals very well
Here is one for $229
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Valve-King-1X12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110439754-i3932136.gc

That's a great deal! Have you played one of these before? I have never played a Peavey. I have played fenders and I also love the look of them! But that is a steal for a 50w tube amp
If you want an amp bigger than a 1x12, here is a 2x12 valveking for <$300 it would be loud enough
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Valve-King-2X12-100W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110378725-i3892159.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Tonefreak11
That's a great deal! Have you played one of these before? I have never played a Peavey. I have played fenders and I also love the look of them! But that is a steal for a 50w tube amp

Yeah they are pretty nice amps
the clean channel is very Fender like and the drive channel can do up to 90's rock/metal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's awesome! Thanks for the links and info! My only concern is maintenance and all that. I have never owned a tube amp and I already pay enough maintaining my car. How often do you guys replace the tubes?
Depends on how often you play, but a tube should generally last you between 1-3 years. They can last far longer if you don't play often, 1-1.5 years is about right if you play every day type deal.

At least in my experience.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I play everyday sometimes multiple hours a day.. I would probably wear out those tubes real fast. I would use this amp for a room amp, practice amp, gigs, etc. Do you guys use your tubes for everything?
I use my tubes in the bedroom.

...that sounds weird.

Even if they die and you don't have spares, new tubes are just a few mouse clicks away. I've had surprisingly fast shipping times from certain sellers.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
I use my tubes in the bedroom.

...that sounds weird.

Even if they die and you don't have spares, new tubes are just a few mouse clicks away. I've had surprisingly fast shipping times from certain sellers.

Lol that did sound a little weird. But that's the thing about it. That's what, $100 extra a year for the amp?
The VK needs better speakers to get the most out of them but even with the stock speakers it will kick a Champ 100's arse all the way to hell and back without raising a sweat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The VK needs better speakers to get the most out of them but even with the stock speakers it will kick a Champ 100's arse all the way to hell and back without raising a sweat.

The Vibro King? I'm sure it does as it's 3x the price of the champion 100 lol. Have any of you guys actually played a champion 100 or do you guys just hate ss amps? From the reviews I've read the champ 100 is the closest sounding to a tube as an ss can get. Seems like a great amp at a great price.
There are AMAZING solid state amps. But the good ones are usually mad expensive. Most solid state amps are aimed for the budget beginner player and are garbage.

Buy a Valveking.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Ok thanks for the input. I think I'm going to go tube amp. I'm just worried about maintenance and cost. How do you guys feel about buying used tube amps?
I'm okay with it from a reputable dealer with a good return policy. Guitar Center sort of ****ed me over twice. They don't really test their gear and never bother to write up any description on the condition of the item. They can't even be bothered to take decent pictures (seriously, 200x300 "photos"?) and categorize their products appropriately.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=valveking

This seems to be a good place to look. If an amp catches your eye, post it here and someone will give you a second opinion.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Tonefreak11
The Vibro King? I'm sure it does as it's 3x the price of the champion 100 lol. Have any of you guys actually played a champion 100 or do you guys just hate ss amps? From the reviews I've read the champ 100 is the closest sounding to a tube as an ss can get. Seems like a great amp at a great price.

I'm fairly certain he meant the Valveking.

The Fender Champion is a big practice aml, that's why we 'hate' on it. It's just nor practical; either buy a small, cheap SS amp for practice or get a big, nice amp for gigging (SS or tube)... Don't go halfway between the two.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Tonefreak11
Ok thanks for the input. I think I'm going to go tube amp. I'm just worried about maintenance and cost. How do you guys feel about buying used tube amps?

I have bought my last 3-4 amps used and only 1 had an issue, but it was a design flaw and I have no issues with it 2 yrs after the fix.

It is probably a good idea to order 1 or 2 12ax7's and a set of power tubes with the money your saving from buying used. You may not need them right away (*GC has a 30 day return policy if anything goes wrong)
These tubes if your wanting to stay on a strict budget
www.tubedepot.com/products/sino-6l6wgs-black-plate-power-vacuum-tube
And grab a few of these
www.tubedepot.com/products/jj-ecc83s-12ax7-preamp-vacuum-tube
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
tube life isn't all bad .... my 1976 Fender Super Reverb has old tubes in it , who knows how old ??.. I had for several years and they look old still play great , in the house at house volumes I've played more than 10 hours on the weekend per day , have had it on hours and hours no problem .... I did retube my twin reverb that starting sounding bad one day ..... when a tube goes out or bad you will know it for sure , if you do retube save the old tubes that are still good for back ups if ever needed
Thanks for all your input guys I already like this forum a lot. Fumble Fingers that is great info to know. I am in love with the twin reverb and always wanted one. I actually just found one locally for sale for $550! Here:
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/4660822228.html

Hopefully I can afford it. You guys think it looks legit?
looks legit to me but there are others way smarter than me on here .... even comes with a travel case
That's a pretty stellar deal. I'd buy that if I had the cash, whether I needed it or not.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
That's a pretty stellar deal. I'd buy that if I had the cash, whether I needed it or not.

My exact feelings on it.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by tubetime86

Right!? Well I talked to the owner and he said only the outside tubes come with the amp. He said he did this for recording and to knock down the volume. Doesn't bother me too much but what do you guys think?
Go try it out!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
it's easy enough to instal some tubes .... I paid close to a 1000.00 for my 1973 Twin reverb and then had it retubed after one tube went out
Quote by Tonefreak11
Right!? Well I talked to the owner and he said only the outside tubes come with the amp. He said he did this for recording and to knock down the volume. Doesn't bother me too much but what do you guys think?

That's nothing uncommon. I'd say play it for a fair amount of time, messing with all the knobs and such, and if it goes well buy it!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
He lives kind of far away from me so we are meeting halfway. I told him to send me a video of him playing it and he said he will film one for me before I buy. Thanks for all your help guys. If this deal goes through, I will have the amp I have always wanted. Glad I didn't settle for a champion 100
Now you're talking sense. Awesome amp, you'll love it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Goo luck on the tube amp my friend. Im sure you'll love it. Post some pics of it if you get a chace.
Thanks guys. I am sure I will love it. Hopefully it's not too much amp for when I want to play at home lol. My thought process is it's never bad to have too much of an amp as now I will be ready for any setting even if the needed power is years away. I was reading though and is there anything I need to do to the amp since he took two of the outside tubes out? I heard this could be bad for some of the components if it's not "rebiased". Is this true?
the Twin Reverb sounds beautiful at low volumes as well as turned up , you'll like it ..... when the tube blowed up (quit working) in mine I just stuck another used spare with the same number in and it worked fine , my bad tube was one of the big ones , not the small tubes (not sure if that makes a difference with bias ?) .... I'll let the others give you advice on Bias
Quote by Fumble fingers
the Twin Reverb sounds beautiful at low volumes as well as turned up , you'll like it ..... when the tube blowed up (quit working) in mine I just stuck another used spare with the same number in and it worked fine , my bad tube was one of the big ones , not the small tubes (not sure if that makes a difference with bias ?) .... I'll let the others give you advice on Bias

Sweet! Thanks man. That makes me happy that it still sounds great at low volume. I can't wait to go get it!
Page 1 of 2