I'm not for sure exactly where to post this so sorry if this is the wrong place. I want to be able to record stuff to my computer. I have a Peavey VIP 1 amp that I want to record with. I want to make sure it is compatible with whatever software I get. I also own a Korg 170s keyboard that I would like to record with. This is the keyboard: http://www.amazon.com/Korg-SP170s-88-Key-Digital-Piano/dp/B004M92J0O
It has a MIDI out jack as well as two headphone jacks. Also I want to make sure that I can use the built in effects of my amp in the recording. Since I can't play drums, built in drums are preferred. Obviously I won't be able to record everything at once, so I guess I need a software that will mix as well. My computer is a Gateway Windows 8. I'm sorry this post is so long. I know practically nothing about recording so please help.

Thanks in advance!
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
well i like reason, many folks will suggest reaper.

also i think you will need to buy an interface, some good headphones and a set of speakers.

try http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ and have a look at their starter recording bundles then shop round a bit.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/computer-recording

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/gak-home-recording-bundle/97813

good luck.
Last edited by vocoderboy at Sep 20, 2014,
^ Thank you. I will look into that.
I already have some good headphones. I don't want anything too expensive, just something where I can record my instruments and put it all together. I also want something fairly easy to use since I am a noob at this. I doesn't have to sound excellent.

EDIT: What kind of interface should I get?
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Last edited by songbird64 at Sep 20, 2014,
Quote by songbird64

EDIT: What kind of interface should I get?

If you just want a bare bones simple way to record stuff just to put your thoughts down that doesnt sound THAT bad, i suggest getting a usb mic from either guitar hero or rock band. They can just be plugged into your computer without installing any drivers or the need for an interface and honestly dont sound too terrible. plus you can get them dirt cheap second hand.

I use one with reaper just to get my thoughts recorded and to work out song structure.

Reaper has a free trial that is unlimited in duration and has every single feature the full version has, the only drawback is a dialogue every time you launch it that tells you to buy it for a couple seconds.

heres something I recorded in reaper with a guitar hero mic just for reference.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/d5kbyazsaee2vkf/I+didn%27t+plagiarize+this+2.0.mp3

this is the exact mic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Hero-USB-MICROPHONE-for-Xbox-360-PS3-PS3-Karaoke-PCs-Mac-/111463011382?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item19f3b69436

again these are by no means professional quality mics so if you plan to record an ep or something yourself you'll want to invest in some more equipment but this will certainly get you by as you get your feet wet.

as for built in drums, look into a product called EZdrummer. its a plugin that can be used in reaper and other DAW's. It's around $200 but it provides fantastic drum sounds for what it is and is very easy to use. Some professional musicians have used it for official releases, namely devin townsend on "ziltoid the omniscient".
Have you read the stickies?

There are recommendations there for all the different options you have for recording equipment.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a rockband mic that I can use until I get an interface. I haven't looked at the stickies yet but I will when I get the chance. When I was searching online for recording software I saw Audacity, but I didn't know if it was legit or not.
Quote by songbird64
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a rockband mic that I can use until I get an interface. I haven't looked at the stickies yet but I will when I get the chance. When I was searching online for recording software I saw Audacity, but I didn't know if it was legit or not.

audacity is real and it is really really.. REALLY bad. it looks terrible, sounds terrible, has basically no useful features etc.

just use reaper or some other actual DAW.
Also remember, all of these suggestions are based on individual opinions. So rickyj's opinion about Audacity may not be how you react to it after you use it. It is free, with no cripples or reminder screens to make you feel guilty. It does have a GREAT noise removal plugin. It wont work as an FX rack like Cubase or Reaper will, though. I have just downloaded and installed Reaper yesterday, and so far it looks like a good DAW. I normally use Cubase, witch I love, but my install does not have a noise removal plugin, or an mp3 encoder. I use Audacity for those functions.
Last edited by Lenny Gee at Sep 22, 2014,
Quote by Lenny Gee
Also remember, all of these suggestions are based on individual opinions. So rickyj's opinion about Audacity may not be how you react to it after you use it. It is free, with no cripples or reminder screens to make you feel guilty. It does have a GREAT noise removal plugin. It wont work as an FX rack like Cubase or Reaper will, though. I have just downloaded and installed Reaper yesterday, and so far it looks like a good DAW. I normally use Cubase, witch I love, but my install does not have a noise removal plugin, or an mp3 encoder. I use Audacity for those functions.

To each his own of course.

You can install LAME mp3 encoder in reaper, you should be able to just use the .dll you have in audacity's install directory by directing reaper to that directory in preferences, assuming audacity uses lame.

it's very easy to install more free plugins for most daws, usually its just dropping a small file into the plugins directory.

Audacity is just extremely minimalistic and in my experiences sounded inferior.
Thanks everyone for all the help! I downloaded Reaper and like it so far.
Quote by songbird64
Thanks everyone for all the help! I downloaded Reaper and like it so far.

Cool. I look forward to a new recording. Please link it here so we will be sure to see it.

Len