hey guys! i've recently been working on writing better solos with the purpose of using them in my band. i've been experimenting with playing different scales in every key possible. this video is basically just some ideas and melodic phrases ive been messing around with. please share your thoughts even if it's not your style. thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK90hvQaD2E
bad tone, hard to say how much of it is the amp/guitar but the finger tone needs a LOT of work

and solos are a really, really small part of a good song. honestly, a lot of people could do without them in 99% of songs and it either wouldn't affect the song or it'd improve them

not everything has to sound like the F Zero soundtrack
thanks for your feedback! i will definitely keep that in mind when writing solos, i'm actually kinda new to this style of music. Coming from a classical guitar background, i'm so used to having a lot going on at once that it translates into other types of playing lol
@Hail, yeah the tone you're hearing is coming from a crappy practice amp that i keep in my room. my main rig sounds far from bad. this is not an actual song, just some patterns and ideas i've been working on. F Zero rules! lol
As previously said, vibrato and bends are the main issue i can see here. Also phrasing, the playing in the video is the equivalent of reading a book without using any punctuation.

On a more personal note, you something you want to experiment with. (Since i don't know if this was a conscious choice or not) When you do land on a bit longer notes in this recording, many times those are notes that are more tense, notes that are not in the chord. You might want to experiment with landing those on chord tones instead to get a stronger end to a phrase. As said though, i don't know if you did that intentionally cause you enjoy tension more. But something to keep in mind.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
I thought your phrasing was great. Your timing and technique needs some work. You seemed a little rushed at times, and when you went into your speed areas, it wasn't clean enough yet. It was kind of like you were tripping up on your own feet. If you took this whole solo and slowed it down to where you could play it perfectly cleanly, I think you would find that it is really a lot slower. But that's all good. I would recommend you do that, at least for the faster parts, and then slowly ramp it up to this speed, placing a priority on perfect timing. If the timing isn't perfect, then don't speed it up until it is. But I really liked all the phrasing and everything like that. Just the execution needed some work is all really I thought.
@Sickz, very good points, i will definitely focus more on landing on the root notes to add more "feel" to my playing. i think i have an idea of what i need to work on, i guess that's the fun part about making music. you can always go back and re-think what you've played and take away or add more to it. i personally like to improvise over a backing track all the way through as a way to test myself on certain scales or patterns that i've learned. i feel that it really helps me get around the neck freely without having to think about it too much.
@fingrpikingood, thanks! i will keep that in mind. for now, i will go back and watch my Paul Gilbert Intense Rock videos and try to perfect my technique haha
You've got an uber solid foundation. Both your technique and melodic ear are good, but both could use some work, as people have already said. I'm working on those things as well :p

One thing that I look for in a solo is a catch- a part of the solo that just grabs a hold of you and is memorable. This is the part that people show to their friends and say, "wait for the guitar solo!" and when the catch happens, they look to their friends and say, "yeah. listen to that." It's also probably the part of the solo the guitarist looks forward to, and puts most of their expression in.

Something that might help you get a catch is using some notes outside of the scale, particularly from the blues scale. These notes are played like a grace note usually. In the relative major scale of whatever song you are playing, try a flat 3rd and a flat 7th. After you release those blues notes to a natural note, let the expression fly.

You displayed your technique fairly well, just add a catch to it and try to make people cry.

Also, your tone sounds like a saw-lead pad.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 21, 2014,
Quote by fingrpikingood
I thought your phrasing was great. .

I just want to clarify what i meant with the phrasing. I just think he can work more with space and leaving some room. As a listener it can easily become the equivalent of being force fed, you got no time to digest the phrase that just went by before a new phrase gets shoved down your throat. In music what you don't play can be just as important as what you do play.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
thanks everyone for your advise! i will most likely post a new video in the future with the same backing track to show my progress. maybe i'll even record it with my live rig, the crappy tone in this video is coming from a 15+yr old 10w solid state Marshall with no pedals of effects. my real tone comes from a Marshall JVM 410HJS with a 1960 cab and a Maxon OD808 in front of it.
Audio quality needs improvement, try that first, could be from the amps itself. Other advise was already posted up top, keep at it though, the comments posted will certainly help
I think most of the guys here are being a bit too critical! I understand what you are doing (playing over a 4 -5 minute) backing track to workout some scales and get yourself more comfortable with them. I agree with some points some guys made (did you check to make sure your guitar was perfectly tuned? A lot of times time flies when you are practicing and you may not realize you are out of tune, which is why you should always check your tuning after playing for a pretty lengthy time. Because sometimes you just landed on a note on adjacent strings and they sounded off. As far as his tone you can here he is playing through some little practice amp because those humbuckers wouldn't sound so thin and nasally other wise.

You were practicing mainly the harmonic minor or Phrygian dominant scale and I think you are getting them under your fingers quite well. That backing track had a pretty fast tempo and it can get rough keeping up with ideas for a long length of time. What I used to do was exactly what you are doing except I would always record myself and then take the licks or runs I liked and put them on another disc until eventually I would end up with an instrumental. Try coming up with a catchy motif that you would keep coming back to as that is what catches the listeners ears. Other wise you just have some fine tuning to brush up on with some techniques otherwise you are on your way!
Sure you could use a little improvement (don't worry I do too) but I thought you're solo was good. Some of the phrases were actually pretty catchy (especially that intro). Also I think you're tone sounded cool and unique. What amp are you using and what background do you have?

I agree that a few more half-notes and some pauses would make the solo sound less rushed
(more organic and expressive too). The motion for the "BB King Vibrato" is to said to be comparable to "turning a juice jug". I believe you should learn how to do a microtone bend (bending less than a half step), it sounds great yet a little odd. Overall keep up the good work.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
@straycat113, snowman19, ronaldpoe
The palm muted part in the intro was D Aeolian. then when the tempo picks up, i was playing G Harmonic minor for the first half of the solo. The second half, i switched back to D Aeolian which is typically what i feel the most comfortable with. The exact amp i was using was a Marshall G10 MK-II but like i said, the video was not meant to showcase my incredible tone. The backing track i used can be found on YouTube, it is called "D Minor Dark Metal Guitar Jam Backing track".
IMO since you asked for constructive criticism overall you lacked dynamics, and not to mention your vibrato and bends were out of tune. There's nothing more horrible than a guitar player that bends out of tune. Things you need to work on is to really develop your ears because it seems like they aren't developed if you can't notice that the majority of your bends, and vibrato were out of tune.

Don't take what I wrote personal i'm just helping you out by being brutally honest, and not sugar coating a thing.

Last edited by Black_devils at Sep 26, 2014,