I just put on a set of DR Black Beauty 9-42. I think i hate them.
They feel strange - bad strange. They also make the guitar sound like the guitar is expired.

I am experimenting with different brands all the time. This was my first DR set. I usually get the Elixer size 9s. I've also tried a few others. I thought there were minor differences bwteeen each but nothing like what i'm experiencing now.

Are those coated DR strings notoriously toneless?

I've got some spares available - Ernie Ball M steel and the - uh... - normal Ernie Ball strings? Nickel i guess? I could change but i'm kinda annoyed every time i think about the fact that i spent 12 dollars on these black strings.
Beware of gimmicks, if they don't glow in the dark, they're probably not very good strings.

Besides that, treat 'em like underwear, everyone has their own underwear that fits just right. There's no need to debate underwear if they don't feel comfortable.

Edit: Also, no need to debate underwear if they are comfortable either.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Sep 21, 2014,
I couldn't stand the feeling of Ernie Ball Cobalts. Very rough, a lot of friction. Made sliding more difficult than it needed to be. Some of us just can't get along with certain things.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Strings can affect tone a lot. The metal alloy the strings are made out of has a ton to do it with it. You've probably been using nickel-plated steel strings, mostly; and the DR strings were probably something else, like a steel flatwound maybe.
I don't know. I used DR strings a loooong time ago. Just re-strung my old LP for a friend when he bought it. To be honest, I've never liked them.

On Ernie Ball Cobalts, as opposed to lemurflames, I felt that the strings were almost as smooth as D'Addarios, unlike regular EB's. Maybe you had a bad set?
But yeah, the coating on them.. well, let's just say that doing pick scrapes on those strings is NOT a good idea. And I don't do scrapes cause it's "cool" or a must to the genre I play, it's just a way to express myself in songs.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Strings can affect tone a lot. The metal alloy the strings are made out of has a ton to do it with it.

Totally agree.

There's more to the tone of the strings, even on an electric, than I would like to know or imagine. I like D'Addarios a lot. They feel smooth, yet they sound really bright. On top of that, they've been the most consistent brand I've used. And I've tried a few. Second most consistent one to me is Ernie Ball, never had problems with them either.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Sep 21, 2014,
If it was a bad set, it would have been a bad batch. I had more than one set of them. Felt awful compared to D'Addarios.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I would try several brands 'till I find one that suits me. That's what I did and worked for me, I use Ernie Ball .11.
Strings do in fact make a difference, but like said above, try several brands and models and gauges until you find the one to suit your playing style, for me, I have Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms on my main guitar, and Ernie Ball Super Slinkys on my other guitar, which I can't stand, so the STHB are the strings I prefer (and they only cost like four dollars, been using them for two years). But in conclusion just go ask around the music store closest to you or just find a handful and try them all out. It's all personal preference.
Quote by lemurflames
I couldn't stand the feeling of Ernie Ball Cobalts. Very rough, a lot of friction. Made sliding more difficult than it needed to be. Some of us just can't get along with certain things.

Funny, I have some right now in my LTD EC and when I put them on a while back I felt that they darkened the tone quite a bit. I guess I got used to it but I wouldn't buy them again. Otherwise they feel fine.
Quote by paul.housley.7
Are those coated DR strings notoriously toneless?

Yes. They're awful. DR generally makes great strings but their color coated ones are just terrible. Stiff feel, shrill sound, the color flakes off quickly. I don't know how long they last because I never kept them on long enough for them to wear out.

I use DR Pure Blues and they used to come in 3-packs with a free set of Black Beauties, which I threw away with the rest of the packaging. Those strings are so bad that I wouldn't even use them if they were free.
I was not impressed with the Cobalts at all, they did feel a bit rough on the fingers and the wound strings gave up after about 30 minutes of use. And after using numerous sets I felt like the actual tone of the wound strings were a bit inconsistent, with maybe 3 out of 12 sets actually sounding pleasing to my ear. I'll stick with the Elixir Polywebs, w/anti - rust plains (Nanowebs arent that great IMHO, peeling issues) they have never let me down in tone and feel and they last for ages.. wish they would come in a larger array of gauges
I prefer D'Addarios for uncoated strings
The Erie Ball Titaniums were also acceptable
I've been very pleasantly surprised at the quality of Harley Benton Valuestrings. Last I checked they work out as 78p for a set lol. You can get them from Thomann.de and sound pretty good. They lose their tone quicker than more expensive brands but at that sort of price you don't mind changing them more often.

If you don't have a great deal of cash available, if you're currently out of work for example, then I highly recommend them.
Quote by stringDIA
(Nanowebs arent that great IMHO, peeling issues)

That's a lucky comment. I didn't know that the different elixirs are the reason i had peeling problems. I never paid much attention before. I am guessing that i was using poly the first few times and then nanos last time. The peeling that i got with my last set was my first experience with peeling strings.

I think i remember liking the tone of the D'addarios, but the elixirs (polyweb i guess) also sound good to me.

Well thanks for the advice everyone. I'll avoid the coated DRs in the future.
Sometimes you might hear a slight tonal difference, but barely. Some strings so last longer or shorter, and have different feels. I tend to bust DRs fast, though some like them. Mostly just a personal preference.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
The Ernie Ball M-Steel strings were a welcome improvement. I think I like them.

I think that there was a second probelm, I think my pickup height was poorly adjusted, and I think that I had a combination of poor strings and poor height adjustment. I lowered the pickups (particularly under the low strings) and it helped quite a bit.
I really like the Elixirs I use now. The Ernie Ball Hybrids I was using just died within days constantly.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

There is some differences in tone between different strings but I think the more important thing is how they feel and how long they last. I just couldn't stand the way Rotosound British Steels felt. They didn't sound that great either. I used Ernie Balls for a long time. They felt and sounded pretty good and I had no problems with them. They just didn't last that long time (though they never broke - they just started to sound dead). But I tried some other brands and I always preferred Ernie Ball Slinkys. Now I have my guitars equipped with Elixirs and I think they are pretty good. They last longer than regular strings and IMO they feel and sound pretty good. Well, no other strings have really felt/sounded bad than the Rotosounds which I just hated.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115