So, im no expert on guitars and i need some advice and information:

Ive just put a deposit down on a Gibson LP Studio (2014) and ive been considering having EMG 81/85 fitted in it. At the guitar centre they told me i could have a 9v to 18v mod on the pickups. Would this make a big difference to sound and are there any drawbacks?

Also the guitar comes with coil taps, would they be useless with EMGs?

Thankyou for your help
Harley
I believe you will have to install entirely new electronics to convert the guitar from passive to active, which includes new pots, special input-jack and wiring as well as the pickups themselves.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think you can keep the coil taps if you do not specifically choose an EMG set that has that feature.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
If you're going to buy a new guitar and if you MUST have EMGs in it, it's probably a better idea to buy the new guitar that already has them.

You'll essentially be tossing away any electronics in the guitar, so existing coil taps will go as well.
If you add actives to a Studio, have them do the routing to put battery boxes in the back of the guitar that do NOT require you to pull a gizmo with tiny little wires from the top of the battery. And do NOT have them toss the batteries into the control cavity just so that you can avoid having to put the battery boxes on the guitar. About the second time you have to change the batteries (particularly if you ever use the guitar on stage and have them poop out on you), you'll say, "Okay, I get it now."

The 18V mod puts two 9V batteries in the system and gives you a tiny bit more gain. Mostly what it does is allow you to burn through 9V batteries about half again as fast, and it allows you to boast in internet forums that you have the "18V mod" on your guitar. Neither bad nor good, it will only cost you an extra battery box (and rout) for now. Might as well, if only for the bragging rights.
Quote by columbiar
If you want EMG's, just go for an ltd ec 1000 and be done with it.

+1.

Buy the guitar that's right for you, if that means you don't get a Gibson, don't get a Gibson. And that's from a Gibson guy.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Getting an EC-1000 makes a lot more sense in this situation.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Thanks for all the advice everyone!
The reason is i can get them fitted professionally for £35 and sell the pickups in the gibson, i currently own a Fender Stratocaster and an Epiphone SG and would love a gibson to add to my collection
Quote by Bixter
Thanks for all the advice everyone!
The reason is i can get them fitted professionally for £35 and sell the pickups in the gibson, i currently own a Fender Stratocaster and an Epiphone SG and would love a gibson to add to my collection

Don't put too much stock in "a Gibson." If what you're really going for is the logo or the brand name, and if that's what's most important to you, fine. Otherwise, there are better options for the money.

Does that price cover installation of battery boxes?
Quote by dspellman
Don't put too much stock in "a Gibson." If what you're really going for is the logo or the brand name, and if that's what's most important to you, fine. Otherwise, there are better options for the money.

Does that price cover installation of battery boxes?

Yes it covers everything
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

From the pickup perspective, yes, but to be honest it does not feel like a Gibson Les Paul in the slightest - even the full sized ones. Both are good guitars, but after owning both an Eclipse and two Gibson LP's side by side for the last 4 years I find the comparison off. It's like someone is sitting and looking at pictures and specs and say "Hey! These look similar!" when they actually are as different in feel as an LP and a PRS Custom 24.

But yes, the EC1000 is a good choice if you want a good EMG-equipped guitar. But so is a Schecter Hellraiser and many others.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Bixter
So, im no expert on guitars and i need some advice and information:

Ive just put a deposit down on a Gibson LP Studio (2014) and ive been considering having EMG 81/85 fitted in it. At the guitar centre they told me i could have a 9v to 18v mod on the pickups. Would this make a big difference to sound and are there any drawbacks?

The difference between a 9v and 18v mod is that you're pumping more electricity into it, with a 18v mod. This means it has more power, but it may also be a bit much. It all depends on what you want. 9v is definitely good for 90% of people, imho.

Also the guitar comes with coil taps, would they be useless with EMGs?

Yes, unfortunately.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Yeah, since TS hasn't actually purchased the LP, I'd say this is true. It'd be one thing if he already spent money. But a deposit isn't a purchase.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

...or any number of LPclones with EMGs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Play an Esp/Ltd, you might be surprised at the quality. No it doesn't "play" like a EMG equipped gibson because its not but it will sound a hell of a lot like one, if you wanted to save a bit of cash i would be looking into either an Ec-401/Ec-1000 or even an Esp Eclipse. Theres also the schecter solo 6s but they are different axes all together.
Hi everyone i would really like to thank you for your responses, having had a think on it ive decided to not go with EMGs as id love to keep the coil tap feature on my guitar, could anyone recommend me some passive pickups that give me very strong versatility? Would i just need to change the bridge pickup to something like a Seymour Duncan Dimebag? And to everyone suggesting other guitar makes, ive decided im buying the gibson 100% I love the feel and look of it, to me nothing compares but thankyou for your suggestions,

Harley
Looking for a more metal tone, right?

Lace Deathbucker or one of their Signature line
RailHammer Chisel or Anvil (bridge only)
Tesla Nitro series
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Bixter
Hi everyone i would really like to thank you for your responses, having had a think on it ive decided to not go with EMGs as id love to keep the coil tap feature on my guitar, could anyone recommend me some passive pickups that give me very strong versatility? Would i just need to change the bridge pickup to something like a Seymour Duncan Dimebag?

Avoid the Dimebag.

In fact, I'd forget SD and DiMarzio.

I'd go with the Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup (don't bother with the neck pickup).
17.5K, but a LOT more versatile than that suggests.

http://www.suhr.com/suhr-guitar-pickups/aldrich-pickups/
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Looking for a more metal tone, right?

Lace Deathbucker or one of their Signature line
RailHammer Chisel or Anvil (bridge only)
Tesla Nitro series

Yeah id love to get metal tone out of the bridge but that classic warm gibson sound off my neck, then i guess id have my ultimate guitar
Ill check out your suggestions, thanks for the help
Quote by dspellman
Avoid the Dimebag.

In fact, I'd forget SD and DiMarzio.

I'd go with the Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup (don't bother with the neck pickup).
17.5K, but a LOT more versatile than that suggests.

http://www.suhr.com/suhr-guitar-pickups/aldrich-pickups/

After a little bit of research that looks like a definite option! Thanks for your advice, do you think i could leave my 490 in the neck along with this?
Quote by Bixter
Yeah id love to get metal tone out of the bridge but that classic warm gibson sound off my neck, then i guess id have my ultimate guitar
Ill check out your suggestions, thanks for the help

Ok, then I'll revise somewhat:

Tesla: OPUS for the neck, VR or Nitro series for the bridge.

RailHammer: Anvil or Chisel bridge, HyperVintage for the neck.

SD: '59 for the neck

Also, given that Gibson has quite a few P90 equipped LPs out there, you might also go for a HB-sized P90 for the neck. There are an increasing number of guitars sporting a HB/HBS-P90 mix these days- Reverend, G&L, Nik Huber, Fender, Godin and others have all recently produced models along those lines.

If that interests you, check out RailHammer, Bareknuckle, Lollar, Vintage Vibe and The Creamery for nice options that front.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ok, then I'll revise somewhat:

Tesla: OPUS for the neck, VR or Nitro series for the bridge.

RailHammer: Anvil or Chisel bridge, HyperVintage for the neck.

SD: '59 for the neck

Also, given that Gibson has quite a few P90 equipped LPs out there, you might also go for a HB-sized P90 for the neck. There are an increasing number of guitars sporting a HB/HBS-P90 mix these days- Reverend, G&L, Nik Huber, Fender, Godin and others have all recently produced models along those lines.

If that interests you, check out RailHammer, Bareknuckle, Lollar, Vintage Vibe and The Creamery for nice options that front.

Thanks a lot for all your help!
OK everyone, chill the hell out for a second, if the man wants a Gibson and EMG's with a coiltap it can be done. Instead of an EMG 81/85 set, try an EMG 89 set. Its essentially an 85 set with coil splitters.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by RBM01991
OK everyone, chill the hell out for a second, if the man wants a Gibson and EMG's with a coiltap it can be done. Instead of an EMG 81/85 set, try an EMG 89 set. Its essentially an 85 set with coil splitters.

Thankyou, its unlikely that ill go for that option now but its great to know there are coil-tappable emgs!