Hi
I was shopping for a new amp and had decided on a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 36 Head and a HK 2x12 cab with V30's.
I was about to order this from Sweetwater until I discovered Mesa made the Mini Rectifier and the the matching 1x12 Cabinet with a V30. Now I am somewhat perplexed as to what I should do. Based on you tube, I really liked the HK and its sound and features, but a mesa boogie..well I am stumped. Any helpful information I can include: I like playing rock and metal mostly, but still enjoy a lil clean sound every now and then. This would be just for the house, never gig, and it does need to be volume friendly. I have a Les Paul Futura for rock/classic rock and a Ibanez RGIT20FE with active EMG's that I like to do drop D riffing on. My budget is $1500 to $1800 US. I would love anyone's input on which to get, thank you
it is very much appreciated.
I'd get the Mini Rectifier purely based on my personal preference, I wasn't very fond of the H&K amps I tried.
Also, I think it would suit your needs just fine.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I'd take the Mini recto over the H&K any day. But did you see the new Mesa MarkV 25 watt? that has versatility in spades from the looks of it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 21, 2014,
I have not looked into the Mark V 25/10 but I am now..TY as I am open to other suggestions
Quote by scopenut
I have not looked into the Mark V 25/10 but I am now..TY as I am open to other suggestions

You can also look at some used Krank Jr series they are either 20 or 50 waters I have a 1980 Jr, but you might be better off with a Rev Jr or a K-stein Jr. Look for the Pro versions i8f you want foot switchable channels and eq for the cleans
www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-KRANK-REV-JR-HEAD-SNAKESKIN-109969882-i3675729.gc

www.revolutionamps.com has some mini heads also. These are very similar to the Krank Jr series (made by the same amp designer)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 21, 2014,
I am not a fan of mini recto's.
They sound to me like a failed imitation of the bigger recto's.

They still have that characteristic sound, though it lacks smoothness and oomph.

If you like the mesa sound, I'd get a tremoverb or a rectoverb or a used 2ch recto + an orange PPC212, either open or closed back, or a mesa recto 2x12.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I am not a fan of mini recto's.
They sound to me like a failed imitation of the bigger recto's.

They still have that characteristic sound, though it lacks smoothness and oomph.

If you like the mesa sound, I'd get a tremoverb or a rectoverb or a used 2ch recto + an orange PPC212, either open or closed back, or a mesa recto 2x12.

At least in the UK you could get a bigger Recto for the price of one of those used
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
^ that's because Mesa's cost a shit ton of money in europe and the 3ch recto's are more common nowadays.

In the US they are so cheaper it hurts.

Though here at least you can find acceptable used deals, say €700 for a rectoverb combo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Well I did not plan on this but wow!! the Mark V 25/10 looks and sounds great..i think I will pre-order one tomorrow!!!
Last edited by scopenut at Sep 21, 2014,
you guys just blew my mind.

the mesa mark v is one of my dream amps but its just too much of everything. this is amazing. i must buy this at some point.

yeah buy this one for sure.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
you guys just blew my mind.

the mesa mark v is one of my dream amps but its just too much of everything. this is amazing. i must buy this at some point.

yeah buy this one for sure.

Same here, that Mark V:25 sure seems fantastic.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Well, I decided I could not wait till the Mark V 25 ships in mid October, so I went ahead and bought a Mesa mini Rectifier 25 and a 1x12 slant cabinet for it..and pre-ordered the Mark V 25 as well.. 2 years of 0 percent financing..what was I supposed to do?
Quote by scopenut
Well, I decided I could not wait till the Mark V 25 ships in mid October, so I went ahead and bought a Mesa mini Rectifier 25 and a 1x12 slant cabinet for it..and pre-ordered the Mark V 25 as well.. 2 years of 0 percent financing..what was I supposed to do?

Nice, but I'd get a 2x12 cab over the 1x12. Because if it is a stereo cab you could run both heads at once and blend them to get a nasty, beefy sound.

But either way you should be happy as hell
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 23, 2014,
Make sure you give us good reviews of both! I found that Mesa Mark V 25 today as well. Would love to hear how it performs, especially the Mark IIC+ mode. . . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by scopenut

Awesome acquisitions. I'll be looking forward for your NAD threads!

Also, I agree with Robb -- blending the two amps through a 2x12" stereo cab would be a great idea.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I think I will get the Mesa 2 x 12 Vertical cabinet, altho I already have the 1 x 12 slant cab coming for the mini rect. Yes I will post it up when I start getting stuff in
Got the Mesa mini rectifier in late last nite, fedex delivered at 11:45pm, too late to play with it
Wife ran a marathon this morning and now she is napping, just starting to play with the clean channel on 10 watts.. Must say very impressed with the build quality so far in the head and the 1x12 cabinet. When she gets up later I will move on to the metal side and see what I think then.