Hello. I'm totally new with 7 string guitars, so i have a question. I want to tune my future 7 string guitar (25,5" scale) with A Standard tuning (A-D-G-C-F-A-D), and i don't know which string gauge should i choose. I'm using EB Not Even Slinky 12-56 on my 24,75" scale guitar with D Standard tuning, so will 11-54 + 70 do work for 7 string? Best regards.
It should.

Make sure you set it up correctly, though. That much tension will warp your neck, if you don't make sure to adjust the truss rod, as needed.
12-56 for D standard? Maaan, that's heavy. I mean, I used 11-54 on my old LP
I suppose a .65 would do, but if you're used to heavy strings, give it a go. The nut can be a pain though.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Using 12 - 52 + 66 on my Loomis (26.5) for A Standard. A 70 is a bit much. Work your way up before putting ultra thick strings on.

I say this because you may not like the tone of super thick strings on a standard scale instrument. Having to have a new nut cut would suck.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Sep 21, 2014,
I had no trouble fitting a .70 in the nut of my AW-7. I didn't have to drill out the tuning peg either. The issue is that you may not like the tone of a string that large (ESPECIALLY if you aren't using an OD, it can be a muddy mess) and it's kind of difficult to undo once the string has worked its way in and widened the nut.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Hmm. I see. So ... what would you recommend? I saw, that for ex. guitarist of Born of Osiris is using Daddario 110-7 (10-59) for his MM JP-7 (25,5) and he is playing in drop G (Follow the Signs song etc.), and my friend said that i must use .70 string because i need something thicker. 7 string guitars are more complicated that i thought.

(for OD, i'm using Bad Monkey)
A 59 for G? That sounds incorrect.

G,,, .059" danw == 10.38#

Unless I'm reading your post incorrectly.

Alex Wade of Whitechapel uses the EXL157 Nickel Wound, Baritone Medium, 14-68 and adds a single light gauge string to it. The 68 is still fairly light for Drop G.

You just have to consider proper string tension to keep the instrument playable. Goes for any guitar.

It gets a little crazier with 7 and 8 string instruments because strings get thicker and thicker but the amount of tension they add is less and less. Diminishing returns.

Maybe start with something like this if you really don't mind heavier strings.

25.5" scale

(# = string tension in pounds/lbs)

D .010" dapl == 12.87#
A, .014" dapl == 14.16#
F, .018" dapl == 14.74#
C, .026" danw == 14.61#
G,, .044" danw == 22.76#
D,, .056" danw == 20.92#
A,,, .068" danw == 17.24#

That's the baritone set with a single .010 added. You can also drop the 68 down to G if you wish. It will be loose, but it still holds enough tension to be playable. I use a 70 for G. Will eventually bump it up to a 74 because I'm crazy and dumb.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EEJEZ4/

I don't really know where you live in the world. ^^;
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yay! Finally someone, who actually helped me. I'm from Poland and i tried to get help on Facebook Groups, but with no effect. Is it good, that 5 & 6 string have another tension than others? From 1-4 string +7 string it's the same.

(About that Born of Osiris ... i just found that he is using 10-59 and i thought that he is using it for drop G, because they playing in that tuning.)

I don't like DDadario strings, so i will look for this same set but from Ernie Ball.

I would go with 10-68 as you said and eventually change it to .70 or .66.

You deserve a beer, sir.
Those lighter strings look like they were intended to be optimal for leads when used on baritone scale instruments. If the lighter strings in the set are too light for you and that weird jump in tension bothers you, you can always get something with a wound third.

I actually use a set very similar to this on my AW-7 and Loomis. You can add a 68 or 70 to it. The first two strings in the sets are plain steel but the third is wound like the rest of the strings. It doesn't bend as well as a plain steel string, but it feels and sounds nice. At least to me.

Sadly, I'm not sure if the string tension calculator supports Ernie Ball sets, so no help there. Each brand has their own discrepancies in tension.

Ultimately, the amount of tension you will need is up to you and your playing style. You often have to buy a 6 string set and add a single because most 7 string sets were intended for 7 strings tuned to BEADGBE.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
http://nabulator.meteor.com/#/25.5/A1,D2,G2,C3,F3,A3,D4,/68,52,42,30,22,15p,11p,/
I think this set will do best work. Eventually .70. This strings are avaliable in my local "guitar center" so i would buy them. Thx a lot once more.

EDIT:
http://nabulator.meteor.com/#/24.75/D2,G2,C3,F3,A3,D4,,/56,44,32,24p,16p,12p,,/
Actually i'm playing on this set on 6 string. Tension is similiar. I'm will use 7 string for playing with my band in D Standard, so i need similiar tension for first 6 strings.
Last edited by krzysztofzygm at Sep 21, 2014,
I use .064 for drop A on a 26,5" and it's perfect imo (very reasonably tight even for aggressive riffing, but not too tight), so I'd guess .066 would work perfect for 25,5". Although since you seem to like heavy tension, I guess a .068 could also do the trick.