Hi!

Yesterday, I bought a brand new Ibanez RG721FM http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page14.php?year=2014&area_id=3&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=53&color=CL01

It sounded nice and all when I got it.

However, after changing string (ernie ball 12-56) and tuning it to drop B does one of the strings "buzz" alot, even when I'm just playing an open string.

I did adjustments to the neck and string height, but the buzz is still there. I even over adjusted the string so it's miles away from any fret or pickup. The closest fret is about 0.5mm away but it's still buzzing. (the other strings are much closer and arent buzzing)

I tried to replace the string with other strings, and it did get a litte bit better with a thinner string. I put some graphite in both ends of the string and checked that no nuts are loose. Nothing helps.

I can only hear the nosie when I'm plugged into an amp.

The string also rings much shorter than the other strings.

Here is a recordning of me playing the open string (and another string for comparison):
https://soundcloud.com/set-before-us-official/string-problem-1

Any suggestions? I can return to the guitar shop and let them do a proper adjustment to see if it helps, but it's a long drive to get there.
Did you adjust the intonation?

Also, pet peeve time: if you're going to tune to Drop B, why not just get a damn 7-string or a damn baritone already?! Ugh.

Edit:
You seem like you don't know how to do an entire setup. Because going from E standard (or which is what I assume the guitar was in when you bought it) to Drop B requires a full setup. You just did a partial setup. Go back to the shop and get them to do it right.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 21, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Did you adjust the intonation?

Also, pet peeve time: if you're going to tune to Drop B, why not just get a damn 7-string or a damn baritone already?! Ugh.

Edit:
You seem like you don't know how to do an entire setup. Because going from E standard (or which is what I assume the guitar was in when you bought it) to Drop B requires a full setup. You just did a partial setup. Go back to the shop and get them to do it right.

I'm playing anything from standard tuning to drop A on 6 string guitars

You are probably right however, guess I will have to get to the shop.

I did however intonate it aswell, and I don't usually have any problems when i'm tuning down. I did tune down 3 other similar Rg's without any problem. This is the only one with fixed bridge though.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

People can't always afford to buy multiple guitars for different tunings.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Nah.

What do you mean? That people can afford to buy multiple guitars for different tunings?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by jespheer
I'm playing anything from standard tuning to drop A on 6 string guitars

No worries.

You are probably right however, guess I will have to get to the shop.

I did however intonate it aswell, and I don't usually have any problems when i'm tuning down. I did tune down 3 other similar Rg's without any problem. This is the only one with fixed bridge though.
Well, if redoing intonation didn't do anything, then I would make the shop fix it for free. You just bought it yesterday. They should fix that for no charge.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

What do you mean? That people can afford to buy multiple guitars for different tunings?

I mean, let's not make it into an issue. It's just a pet peeve of mine. Don't worry about it.

Be cool, man.
First of all, intonation has nothing to do with string buzz. What you are describing has happened to me several times.... frets ok, set-up ok, relief ok.... if just one string does it and everything else is fine, it might be the string itself.

I just had a Les Paul in my shop installing new pickups. The owner had the action set very low and perfect. When I had everything back together there was a buzz in the D string that I just couldn't get rid of. Put on a new set of strings and the problem went away.

Most string manufacturers have pretty good quality control, but sometimes a bad one slips through. Any time it's happened top me, I've reported the problem to the manufacturer and they have replaced the strings.

http://www.treeguitarworks.com/
Quote by stormin1155
First of all, intonation has nothing to do with string buzz.

Except, you know, the part where a wrongly intonated string buzzes slightly because it's off just a bit.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
People can't always afford to buy multiple guitars for different tunings.

That's why I have Variaxes.
One guitar, tons of tunings, and I can even use them with a Floyd.
Thanks for your replies!

I was at the shop today, and one of the problem strings is fixed.

I still have buzz in the third string though (from the thickest string).

It only occurs when I'm palm muting and playing it flat. Palm muting and presing any fret is okey. At first, I thought I've made it a bigger problem than it actually is, but I had to switch guitar during my band practice today because it sounded so bad.

The shop said that they don't know what the problem is.

I changed strings several times, trying both thicker and thinner strings without success.

Could the noise come from the head, since it only occurs when playing the string flat?
I might have found the problem.

It is only the 4th string that is ringing/buzzing, but it rings even with just a slight touch on the string. Even when playing the third string and just touching the 4th string afterwards results in a buzz/ringing.

But if i put just some light pressure with my fingers on the 4th string between the head nut and tuning pegs, the sound dissapears.

The ringing/buzzing is in the same sound and tone as if I would strike the string above the headnut, and when playing the string, I can feel that it's "moving" above the headnut aswell.

So I could actually put a rubberband on the string, but I don't really want to do that.

Any ideas?
Last edited by jespheer at Sep 23, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

There's a lot of bands tuning regular 6-strings to drop A# or drop A and it works perfectly. There is no reason why drop B wouldn't be possible to set up properly on a regular guitar. (And don't even get me started on the "just get a 7-string" thing, which makes literally no sense.)

Back to the topic: I'm not entirely sure, but what you said does sound like it's something to do with the nut. Aren't the cuts too narrow/shallow for the heavier strings?
A few things to check:

Take the string clamps/locks off of the strings, make sure the strings are sitting directly in the middle of the nut slots. Sometimes they climb up on one side a little which will cause a slight metallic sound or buzz. Secondly, while the locks are off tighten the string retainer down enough to where the strings are all sitting cleanly on the nut so there's no extra space between the nut and string doing all the way down. Then put the locks back on the nut and see if that works.