Poll: Which would suit my Marshall in a Box needs best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which would suit my Marshall in a Box needs best?
Menatone King of the Britains
0 0%
JHS Charlie Brown
1 7%
XTS Atomic Overdrive
0 0%
Ramble FX Marvel Drive
2 14%
Wampler Plexi Drive
3 21%
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
2 14%
Lumpy's Liquid Lead
0 0%
Rockett Animal
1 7%
Bearfoot FX Dyna Red
0 0%
Other (Please state in comments)
5 36%
Voters: 14.
I want to find the plexi/Marshall crunch sound that I've been searching for without having to buy a vintage Marshall and crank it to 10. I have a list of pedals but because I'm not able to try them all, I need all your input. I had to repost this thread because there were some grey areas in my last one they said. I like having a very clean amp so that's why I steered away from Marshall. Now for the overdrive... I want a very crunchy 70s rock tone. Think Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc. I'm NOT looking for a hot-rodded JCM800 pedal. More plexi crunch classic 70s rock. I play Gibson and Ernie Ball guitars all with humbuckers. Out of the Plexi pedals out there I'm trying to find one that's very dynamic and has amp-like feeling. Especially one that you can't tell is a pedal when you get to the higher frets. I know I'm not the only one who's wanted a pedal like this so I feel like this will be a great thread for everyone thinking the same as me. In the poll are some of the pedals I've heard most about, I know some are left out but I only have 10 spots. Thanks!
which amp will you be using it with? the koch?

i haven't tried very many but i actually quite like joyo hot plexi I have (which I'm guessing is a clone, though I haven't seen any word of what it's definitely a clone of... someone surmised on freestompboxes it might be the lovepedal purple plexi but ). how reliable it is over time, though, i dunno, i know there have been a lot of complaints about build quality with joyos.

the other thing is i just boost it for leads (i assume that's what you mean when you say "higher frets") with a daphon sd1 clone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried a few MIAB pedals the other day. Tried the Angry Charlie, SL Drive and a Distortron.

The Angry Charlie and SL Drive are a bit hotter in sound (like a hot plexi ala VH). I'd say the SL is more versatile compared to the Charlie since it has the dip switches to switch between Super Lead and Super Bass. The Distortron is what I went for though. Gets the higher gain tones of the other pedals but has a better sound at lower gain and cleans up really nice with the volume knob. Bit less trebly off the bat too. Most of them are very amp like though. You probably won't go wrong with any of them. I was really curious about the Marvel Drive FWIW. Sounds good from the YT clips I've heard.

I really recommend trying out the pedals with your rig or at least something similar first. Especially with drive pedals. You might not like the pedal with your own stuff if you're demoing with stuff that's very different. If you're trying it out with a JTM 45 and you have a little Fender combo at home you might be disappointed.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
not sure i've ever really tried stuff around the 12th fret much on the low strings. or at least i haven't been listening.

i know that an awful lot of pedals sound like pedals. i'm not sure it's anything to do with "high quality" or "low quality", though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i must say your list is impressive. i too had to do my research and i am new to ramble FX. WOW. both thier fuzz and marvel drive are awesome.

not only do i think the marvel drive is one of the best sounding (youtube) marshall'a in a box ive ever heard, but i really like that they take a lot of the BS out of it for you to mess up, you just get variation on the low mids and high mids and master. probably how it should be. they even make it look like a marshall.

dirty little secret is always a solid choice. probably more versatile. but my vote is for the Marvel. wow.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Here's my input I own 6 guitars been playing for about 7 .....what your looking for isn't in a pedal ....all your gonando is have washy tone with a od pedal set to max.....the best recommendation I can give is try out heads at your local music shop ....tube heads that is for the last two years I've been playing through a carvin v3 and I tell you its no comparison from solid state (if that's what you have) I use my clean channel set to a bit of grit and find the sweet spot on my ts808 roll the volume back and it gives that creamy sound you might be after ....I would take into account your guitar pickups your amp settings your tone and volume all these factor into your tone
the koch amp he has is a tube amp....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Strausser33
Here's my input I own 6 guitars been playing for about 7 .....what your looking for isn't in a pedal ....all your gonando is have washy tone with a od pedal set to max.....the best recommendation I can give is try out heads at your local music shop ....tube heads that is for the last two years I've been playing through a carvin v3 and I tell you its no comparison from solid state (if that's what you have) I use my clean channel set to a bit of grit and find the sweet spot on my ts808 roll the volume back and it gives that creamy sound you might be after ....I would take into account your guitar pickups your amp settings your tone and volume all these factor into your tone

You've been playing for 7 guitars? That's a loooonnnnnngggg time
NakedIntheRain and Strausser clearly don't pay attention or read. I'm not getting a new amp, and the amp I have is a 50w tube head. Especially when you say I'm gonna dime the OD on the pedal, that's 100% not the tone I'm looking for. Hence why I said "NOT a hot-rodded JCM800" tone/pedal. This post is not only for me because I'm looking for a very crunchy mid-heavy Plexi pedal, but also for everyone else who has wanted this question answered who mostly plays clean through a clean amp (Fender Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC30, etc.) and wants to keep it that way other than a pedal.
dude, i've gone through the same search. having a clean amp and using pedals for dirt. nothing measures up to the real deal. modular amp or a multi-channel amp is the way to go if you want multiple amp sounds and feels. so my suggestion is cut your losses and go modular.

but to give you the answer you want, wampler plexi drive.
doesn't the multitone's drive channel sound more or less marshally?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lightningjoe88
I want to find the plexi/Marshall crunch sound that I've been searching for without having to buy a vintage Marshall and crank it to 10. I have a list of pedals but because I'm not able to try them all, I need all your input. I had to repost this thread because there were some grey areas in my last one they said. I like having a very clean amp so that's why I steered away from Marshall. Now for the overdrive... I want a very crunchy 70s rock tone. Think Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc. I'm NOT looking for a hot-rodded JCM800 pedal. More plexi crunch classic 70s rock. I play Gibson and Ernie Ball guitars all with humbuckers.

Wampler has three pedals -- the Pinnacle, the PlexiDrive and the Plextortion -- that would probably fit what you're trying to do, depending on what you're calling "crunch." I'd probably look more closely at the Pinnacle first. And definitely run the videos on the Pinnacle page.

I solved this a slightly different way. I wanted something with great cleans but didn't want a Marshall (I've already got a few, as well as a JTM-45 clone that I hand-wired).

What I ended up with is a Carvin Belair 2x12 combo, modified.

The Carvin, used, has a wonderful clean channel, and came with a pair of broken-in Vintage 30's. The gain/soak/dirt channel was designed with Allan Holdsworth, and is fine for legato stuff, but really doesn't have the bite I was looking for. Enter Richard L Hassebrock. He's pretty well known to owners of Carvin Belairs and Nomads (the 1x12 version) as "Hasserl", and his mods for those amps are available online as the "Hasserl Mods."

My amp has the Stage II mods, which made extensive (but reversible) changes to the tone stack, added a second presence control (but this one is a negative feedback control), a master volume, etc. The result is no change to the clean channel, and the amp now "sounds like a vintage Marshall, but with more gain than any vintage Marshall ever had." The proverbial "blanket off the amp" business. The negative feedback control will dial in anything from the stock amount (grey poupon niceness) to zero. This allows significantly more touch sensitivity and a bit of "hair" when you dig in on blues passages on the clean side, and it adds a different dimension to the gain side as well. But you can tame all that by simply dialing in the standard negative feedback.

As is the case with many open-back combos, it's fairly easy to make it sound good to the guitarist (audiences just don't get the same sound that the guitarist does). But this one also does a really nice job miked. It doesn't NEED to be miked in most cases -- the Belair is a LOUD amp -- but you *can* keep your stage volume reasonable and still get very good sound from the FOH.
but also for everyone else who has wanted this question answered who mostly plays clean through a clean amp (Fender Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC30, etc.) and wants to keep it that way.

Thank you OP. That's exactly why I'm reading this thread with attention.

nothing measures up to the real deal

Probably true. I'd like to get the "real deal" one day but it is not possible for me right now. Also, when I'm just jamming with friends, you don't want to bring 5 amps to get all of the sounds you want to play. Just a couple pedals to get close (and hopefully the closer possible) to that or this tone.

but to give you the answer you want, wampler plexi drive.

I know nothing measures up to the real deal, I just want the closest I can get. Not getting a new amp.

Dave, the 3rd channel is good but not a great Plexi crunch sound. I still enjoy the sound though. So I use it for leads when I use it, I stay on channels 1 and 2 most of the time. So when I want that Marshall crunch (which is every once in a while) I wanna stomp on that pedal and hear my guitar scream. Haha

You're welcome Taz9
ah ok, no worries. it might be more of a hot-rodded marshally type of sound. it's ages since i've tried one
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wampler Pinnacle if you are going for the "Van Halen" sound; Wampler Plextortion if you want something not so "Van Halen."
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Ever look at the Gig FX VOD?

It really does the job for me. I was floored with it. I grabbed it as my amp on the floor when I run through a house Fender or whatever. While it isn't exactly like it, I like to think of it as a Marshall JVM channel on my board. It has it's bypassed mode, and then three settings (think gears on the JVM). I have a slight boost, my main distortion, and then my lead sound all in one pedal that I cycle through like a wah pedal.

Around 4 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXur0dE_lgY
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Well let me start by saying that I LOVE Cmatmods pedals. I love the brownie which is a Marshall pedal and I love It. If you want other sounds which have that lower gain to mid gain crunch with that mid bite of a marshall which it seems you do, look at his other pedals like the butah which is all low gain awesomeness. The brownie goes from low marshalll like you describe to a eighties marshal so would say go for one or both, Wampler makes some great ones too but im very biased towards cmatmods and fully admit it lol.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
MI Audio Crunchbox?

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack