Part 2 of my 4 part series on Shoegaze.
This time I've looked at the 'classic' period of the genre. Instead of going chronologically like last time, I tried structuring this one a bit more with a view to it flowing.

There's some belting tunes this time round, so enjoy.

Forthcoming
29/9/2014 - severed-meh-tul
06/10/2014 - AnnihiSSlater
13/10/2014 - Kinkyking
Last edited by AnnihiSlateR at Sep 27, 2014,
Quote by kirkisking
also Slater, put me on for the next open slot, im gonna listen to this in a bit

Yeah will do. I've put you after my next one, but if you want to go before, just let me know and I'll swap it.
I've been waiting for this radio for a while. Been wanting to check out shoegaze and had no idea where to start. I'm on the third track and I'm finding it starting to drag a little though.

I'm gonna try and make it all the way through though.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Forgot about this, listening now fella.

EDIT: I immediately went to work on my upcoming mix titled, "Destruction of Mankind," only to realize nothing is going to get accomplished. You know how difficult it is to create a mix of utter hatred when Slowdive is playing? Impossible.

God this mix is good though. It's like the perfect weather here for it too, only on Ride at the moment. I can't say I've heard anything yet except for names. Slowdive's track is definitely my favourite so far.

EDITEDIT: Noticed a spelling mistake in your description, "where" instead of "were."

Just being nitpicky, on the Verge track now. It's alright. The vocalist reminds me of U2.

This is also my first actual experience with My Bloody Valentine. I didn't really get where a lot of the shoegaze sound came from but I see it now.

EDITX3: Bethany Curve passed my by, but I really liked the post-punkish kind of Brit vocals on Blind Mr. Jones.
Last edited by severed-metal at Sep 24, 2014,
Cheers, glad you liked it.

I think the Secret Shine track is my favourite at the moment. Though it is unfortunately something of an anomaly. I've not heard anything else by them quite that good. The rest is just solid.

But yeah, early Slowdive is hard to beat. Everyone raves over Souvlaki, but the first 3 EP's are where I think the band were at their best. Whilst MBV where perhaps more influential, I think Slowdive were by far the better band.

Also the Verve (or verge as you put, autocorrect? ) are an interesting one. I know them as a naff sort of alt rock band, who seem to be know by most of the world for one song (Bitter Sweet Symphony). But I got curious when I found they formed at the same College I went to, and furthermore when I found they started out as a shoegaze band. The track I picked is perhaps a bit heavier than some I could have gone for, but I really like it. Especially the saxaphone.

I was also a bit late to MBV. I think it was Proggy on here who convinced me to give it another go. I've dipped in and out of Loveless over the years, but it's only been these last few months that it's really clicked.

I'm quite fond of that Bethany Curve track, though in general they are a bit of a mixed bag, though generally solid. Though it probably won't surprise you to see they came at the back end of the first movement, and are one of only two bands on this mix not to be from the UK. I was actually hesitant to include them, as they weren't really a part of that scene from what I gather. I think in Hindsight I might have included a track from a band like *******s of Distinction instead.
Bethany Curve, along with the likes of Skywave (who we'll see next time) are sort of that inbetween era, and arguably sort of proto-Nu gaze really.

Surprised the flute didn't get mention on Blind Mr. Jones, as that was their 'thing'. The Jethro Tull of Shoegaze. But also interesting that I'd never picked up on the post punk vibe before, but now you mention it, it's kind of an obvious influence. Really solid band, and quite under rated. Aparently Neil from Slowdive wrote the guitar parts on their first EP. I was going to include a track from that originally, but I think that Stereo Musicale was more of a defined sound as an album, whereas the Eyes Wide EP was a little bit more generic and still a band finding its sound.
No I genuinely misread it as "The Verge," haha. Interesting stuff though, I do think Blind Mr. Jones were my favourite. Probably going to binge on their music until I ruin it.

Looking forward to your next mix, sir.
Secret Shine was above average, I really liked the whole track except one particular part, but it was quite pleasant.

As for Slowdive, love the band, probably would of picked a different track though. Just personally. Still an amazing band.

SIANspheric didn't quite get there, I don't think there was enough forward motion in the song for me.

Ride is missing the huge washy sound that I look for. It's like there isn't enough reverb to really push that delay together. It's a decent track but I can't help but feel like they could use a better guitar tone - brighter on top with a muddier wash. The outro was quite beautiful with the violin.

The Verve is too grungy for me.

Man I love Loveless. Easily one of my top 10 favorite albums. And yes, it was me who had a whingefest when you said you didn't really like the record. I'm glad you gave it another chance and can enjoy this monstrous album. Jon (gooby), I implore you to get right smashed and listen to Loveless as loud as you can through quality headphones. It's seriously about as grand as Det Som Engang Var or Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. The particular track on the mix is great but its not the best the record has to offer.

Bethany Curve is interesting. They chose to have the bass take the lead melodic development and have the guitar augment it in the background, kinda like what Godflesh did. I liked it. Oh and the faster section just kicked it. This is well executed.

The Blind Mr. Jones flute is indeed a welcome touch. Such a great texture that meshes well with the shoegaze sound. This is really class stuff.

I really enjoyed this mix, and typically I don't listen to mixes but I was jonesing for shoegaze. thank you slater

Progedit - jumped back to HDFU pt 1 - and noticed Heros is on there. That's Robert Fripp from King Crimson playing guitar on that track.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Last edited by progbass at Sep 26, 2014,
Genuinely looking forward to giving this a listen. Slowdive were/are peak.

Slightly off-topic, but did anyone hear Boris cover of MBV's 'Sometimes'? It always has me torn between 'good interpretation' and 'no one can touch the original'.
Quote by progbass

Bethany Curve is interesting. They chose to have the bass take the lead melodic development and have the guitar augment it in the background, kinda like what Godflesh did. I liked it. Oh and the faster section just kicked it. This is well executed.

The Blind Mr. Jones flute is indeed a welcome touch. Such a great texture that meshes well with the shoegaze sound. This is really class stuff.

I really enjoyed this mix, and typically I don't listen to mixes but I was jonesing for shoegaze. thank you slater

Progedit - jumped back to HDFU pt 1 - and noticed Heros is on there. That's Robert Fripp from King Crimson playing guitar on that track.

Interesting observation with Bethany Curve. I've always felt there was something about their sound that sounded different yet familiar and I could never quite put my finger on it. But it kind of reminded me of Iroha, who are kind of linked to Jesu, who are linked to Godflesh as you mention. I suppose it stands to reason that JKB would bring part of the compositional style over to Jesu, and given Jesu and Iroha share a bass player, I suppose it also stands to reason that he'll also be open to composing with the Bass in such a manor. So quite possibly why it reminded me of them,iro despite the two bands not sounding all that similar.

Glad you liked Blind Mr. Jones. They have been one of my better discoveries. But also one that makes me wonder why they aren't bigger than they are.

Also didn't realise that about the Bowie track, that's pretty cool/interesting.